Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Are Y'all Doing In This Heat and What Are You Eating On Hot Days Like This?

We walked the dogs, shorter walks on very hot days.  I watered all my plants on the front and back porch.  Vacuumed the dog hair from the rugs, as usual.  A little shopping and then out to dinner.  It is hot but I love spring and summer!!

Respected Contributor

Re: What Are Y'all Doing In This Heat and What Are You Eating On Hot Days Like This?

@shell garden wrote:

@Mellie32 wrote:

I've got my Cuddle Duds sweater/jacket on.  

@Mellie32...are you still at the North Pole, Mellie?  I know it is Christmas in July, but come on sweetie....sweat to some oldies, LOL.  Hey sweetie pie.

Haha.  I get cold easily in the AC especially when I'm just sitting on the couch watching TV.  I've got a blanket on too.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We had a cool spring here up north, but about a month ago it started getting hot.  I finally broke down and bought a window AC unit this morning.  It's been on for an hour but has only cooled the room 2 degrees (to 86).  That doesn't seem right!  I got a portable air conditioner years ago from QVC, but it never worked right.  I should have sent it back.  Since I gave my window unit to my neighbors when I got that, I've been without AC since then. 

I'm right up the hill from the Atlantic Ocean, and the sea air is cool and sweet at night, but it's been brutal during the day.  My poor cat has been suffering.  When I turned the AC on, he got up on the table in front of the unit and sat for a while.  I need to visit my parents, but I'm going to do it next weekend, when they're expecting temps in the 70s.  I've been afraid to leave my cat alone in the heat without at least being here to put a fan on him. 

I used to love the summer and still do, but I've developed an appreciation for the four seasons.  I love the winter blizzards when everything slows down and I sit on my window seat and watch the world go by.  In the summer, I watch TV from there and smell the cool, sweet, refreshing ocean air at night.  I grew up a hop, skip, and a jump outside of Boston and have never smelled such wonderful breezes--even at Revere Beach (America's first public beach) in its heyday.

Honored Contributor

@Julie928 wrote:

Where I am in Illinois, it's brutal!  I got up earlier than usual and went to Wal-Mart (jealous, everyone?) to stock up on things then went to the grocery store.  I was home by 7:30, but when I walked outside to the garage at 6:15 this morning I couldn't believe how hot it was!  I could barely breathe!  Today is a good day to launder the bed linens and get caught up on dusting.  I was out back briefly with the dogs, fed the fish, filled the birdbaths & feeders then back indoors.  Sure hope it cools off soon...

Stay safe, everyone!  :-)

I did that on Thursday.  Went to the grocery store, Starbucks and gas station.  Back home by 7am.  

Honored Contributor

Just got a new KitchenAid mixer so I'm making cookies! My oven is new and very efficient so it certainly doesn't heat up my kitchen. Were having steaks on the grill for dinner. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I'm moving very little, eating salad with leftover chicken and wearing as little as possible. LOL. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I stay inside my house as much as possible.  I went out to feed the birdies and check their water at about 10 this morning and there is no further reason for me to go out there.

I always hated the heat anyway but now, with this autoimmune thing, I just cannot tolerate it at all.  Even if it's just around 70 I start turning purple and getting weak.   

Just waiting for winter, here!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

I'm cleaning my closet.   

Any skeletons?

Lol.  No skeletons.  Some dust bunnies though

I did find a pair of shoes I bought that I forgot about.  👍🏽

Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Just got a new KitchenAid mixer so I'm making cookies! My oven is new and very efficient so it certainly doesn't heat up my kitchen. Were having steaks on the grill for dinner. Woman Happy

What kind of cookies are you making?

I haven't made cookies in a while.  

Trusted Contributor

In TX. Sitting at my desk, small battery-operated fan blowing on me, checking email and web surfing. I should be working on my dissertation but my brain doesn't want to work that hard today! I put my head under the kitchen faucet and ran cold water on it, then swirled my hair into a messy bun for the day.

Turned on the fountain for the birds to get their water and baths, put up the patio umbrella for extra shade.

A/C on, ceiling fans on, shutters closed. Will do laundry tonight.

Going to post office, then run a quick errand for a sewing supply, then back home. Thankfully my car has air-conditioned seats! Need to plant some begonias I got on sale earlier this week but will wait until this evening when the sun isn't shining on that side of the house.

Eating fruit and popsicles and yogurt, drinking water and cold soda, minor cooking in microwave or toaster oven if needed.

Nap later!!!!!