Honored Contributor

Re: What Are Our Children Learning - And I don't mean Scholastically.

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66

Not a parent. What I have learned over the decades about children has told me, they(in general)have changed since I was raised. Many have not respect for adults/teachers and on and on. Feel they are owed whatever they want because "I didn't ask to be born", and immediately, if not sooner.

Common sense that, in my youth was learned and kinda taught. Believe much of what they hear/see on tv or internet without checking the facts. If it's there, it is true. 

Little interest by many to learn a skilled trade to make a living. But, since most parents I only hear, "saving for their college education", not "saving for their trade school education". Many cities need skilled trades workers and many of them are 6 figure jobs.

Lots more I could say, but not being a parent, not a thing I am passionate enough to say more.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I responded to Noel in the above comments.  I apologixe for neglecting to put her name in the post.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

As a grandmother myself, what troubles me  also is the bullying behavior and adjectives attached to people's names coming from the top.

That reminds me of the worst school-yard bullying.

@Susan in California

I get on Twitter every morning & wonder who will be picked on

today...and what was said. It’s just gives validation for the Public

to verbalize something when someone else does it...

and possibly take it a step further. 

@sidsmom

What I use Twitter for is to follow a few columnist on topics im interested in, mostly my favorite sports teams....I have them categorized on a list and it makes it easy to find the info

But occasionally Ill scan whats trending and read something that's totally inaccurate and see everyone jump on the bandwagon and defend it just because "well its on Twitter" and its not even true.....  I even had to correct my sister on one topic explained to her that was old news that had been retracked and gave her current well documented articles by experts refuting the old theory..........

@Spurt

I feel special you specifically tagged me but...this response doesn’t have anything to do with my post, but you are entitled to your opinion & comments.

@sidsmom

It's just a continuation and expansion of the conversation about Twitter, including you in on it or joining with you.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

...but the focus of my post wasn’t about Twitter.

Twitter is just the vehicle. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I am sure your daughter is blessed with good friends and for her the way she communicates and interacts works for her.  

I just came home from having lunch with four close long term friends.  We try to meet monthly and we always have a great time.  During lunch one of my girlfriends said she loves spending time with us because it is so uplifting and makes her feel good.  I could tell by her expression her sincerity came from her heart.  Body language and hearing laughter, exchanging stories does make for a great time.  For us meeting monthly or more is a very important part of our friendship.  

I am not saying you can't have the type of friendships as your daughter.  We all have phones and computers and also keep in touch through them.  But we do

look forward to being together and taken to that level of friendship we have shared for a very long time.  One friend, sadly, has alzheimer's but we always include her.  She may not interact with us as she did but she sits and smiles and listens.  She can't use a phone or computer but she can be part of us when are together.

I am happy for your daughter and may she always find happiness and comfort in her friendships!

Thank you @spiderw  Smiley Happy

If I wasn't clear, I'm all for getting together with friends and family, I've always loved it.  My mother used to give a lot of dinners for family, especially holidays, and she always added in a few old timers with nowhere else to go.  I followed in her footsteps for a long time.

My daughter also gets together with friends.  Her paternal cousins live across the country so I am glad she has texting, email, and Instagram to keep up with them.

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

wrote:

...but the focus of my post wasn’t about Twitter.

Twitter is just the vehicle. 

@sidsmom

Conversations roam and are added to, and on Chat others jump in all the time.  I've seen you make that comment several times before about being tagged.  She was just being nice, adding another layer to what was being discussed.

Honored Contributor

@hckynutWhen I read your post you rang a bell with me especially when you mentioned (I believe I understood) that not every person should or can or wants to go to a college.

I don't know if you ever saw any of my posts where I mentioned when my husband died my son-in-law did all of the work of setting up a scholarship in his name (my husband's).

His family goes back to the 1400's and there is a town named after his great-great (however many) grandfather.  It's still there and there is an elementary, middle and high school with my husband's last name on it. 

My husband had a Master's Degree in computer science but he got it at night after we were married.  He owned a computer company but sold it and instead of retiring he started several other companies (two and three people companies).  

His favorite thing was working with his hands (i.e. building houses and fixing things).  He bought houses, repaired them and sold them.  He'd always comment that it was hard (this was back around 1997 - 2004) to find competent people to do the work.  They didn't even know the basic things about working on a house.

That's what I wanted the scholarship to be about.....going to school to learn a trade (air conditioning, building, carpentry, etc.).  The scholarship said a person only had to have a C average (or above), get several recommendations, etc.  (It wasn't too stringent because I wanted people who might not work well academically, but if it was interesting to them, they'd excel.

Do you know the high school wouldn't accept the scholarship money (which would have been 'a full ride' (as they say) to a trade school.  The school said it had to be attached to a college.

I said, "Never mind then" and the scholarship was canceled.  Sad isn't it.

Now in 2018 all I hear is that boo hoo there are enough people who can build houses, etc.  These days building a house consists of more than just nailing sticks together.  Many things run by computers.  People need to go to school to become electricians, heating and air conditioning experts, etc.

I don't think you need to be a parent (sometimes just the opposite) to see that children today don't show adults (or each other) the respect that (I believe) generations before them did.

Well, as they say, hindsight is so easy.  The ability to look ahead and work TOWARD something....well...that's challenging.

Hopefully society will wake up before we get so far ahead we can't catch up to the way we should be.....whatever that is.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

Your husband and son-in-law sound like men that thought of education beyond grades one earns in school. To me they believed/believe that everything in life for earning an income, or their future life is limited by your grades in what used to be called "the 3 R's".

Running my adult hockey league for over 52 years I met hundreds of men in many professions, and also many that worked and owned their own Electrical/Plumbing/Masonry companies. I also met several attorneys/professors/computer technicians/doctors, all with several degrees from colleges where you had to excel to qualify to go there.

I saw little and also vast differences in their common sense about regular things in most people's lives. Regardless of their educations, or lack of a formal degree, some could relate better to life in general than others, and their professions or jobs had little to do with it.

I did not graduate from high school, had to go to summer school to graduate from grade school. I did however get a GED while serving in the United States Army. I never felt limited by having only a GED, and worked for the same company long enough to be able to retire at age 52.

My electrician friend just recently told my that it is hard to find good, reliable employees these days. Same with a friend that owned a masonry company(now owned by 1 of his 2 sons. Many he hired for basic brick laying jobs quit because the physical work was too hard for them.

I learned about life by living it and experiencing many facet of life. Always listening and trying to learn from my mistakes and successes along the way. Was always good with math and anything to do with my "money in-money out", and many I knew didn't have much of a clue when it came to what I felt was much more important than things that happened centuries ago.

Your husband and son-in-law sound like men that I would enjoy having as friends. Both sound like they were/are well rounded when it comes to the aspects of who needs to be able to do "what" in order to make a good living in their past life, and what is necessary in the world of today to do the same. Appreciate you telling me the things your husband/son-in-law, and yourself have done to live a successful life, and I am guessing, also very happy ones.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut OMG!  My husband got his GED in the Army too!  Even when I met him he was an enlisted man earning next to nothing but he painted houses for an elderly lady who owned several of them.  That gave him 'seed money' to loan to other young guys.  These guys would party and drink and run out of money.  He'd loan them money til pay day and charge interest.  That was the beginning.

My favorite show on TV is "This Old House".  I DVR it and watch it at least 2 times.  I was in this house we built every day (took my girls to nursery school).  I stained and painted and papered every wall in this house.  

I learned to do things most people (especially women) have no idea what to do.

I also believe that (if you pay attention in life) you are being prepared for what's ahead.  I live in this big house we build all alone.  When a fuse blows, I'm the one that knows how to go 'flip the switch'.  I know how to 'reset' the hot water heater when it trips....and on and on.

I have to give my husband credit because he believed there are many things women can do just as well as men.  I loved being next to him learning and asking questions.  

He traveled to Florida to visit properties we were developing.  I was on my own with my girls.  He trusted me to take care of 'things' and I was good at it.

When he died suddenly, I never missed a step.  I kept on with our businesses (with my daughter's help).  I was a woman dealing with men (in business) who have no use for females.  My business partner is from Iran and just having to deal with me drove him crazy and he showed it.  Ha!

I sold some of the properties back to him at a substantial profit (which irked him even more).

If I was young(er) I'd still be developing properties.  However, at 71 I've decided it's time to let other's do it.  My daughter still manages my investments but it's set up so I always have final say.

There's so many opportunities out there in this country.  People who sit around and wait for life to happen ..... well...they're just plain stupid.

The young man next door to me comes from a large Hispanic family.  I adore his entire family.  However, they are of the mindset that he should be working instead of going to school.  I took him under my wing when he was still in middle school.  He's heard stories of my husband and things to do to get ahead.

I taught him what I taught my late husband...."Never say IF only say WHEN".  His name is Will.  He was the first to graduate in his family this past year.  Now he's working during the day and going to the Community College at night.  

I am paying for the Community College.  I don't want any money back.  I expect him to make C or above but he also knows he must make at least a B to transfer to a 4 year college.  He's doing it so far.  The hardest thing is to keep reminding him not to get married but to wait (he's only 19).  His girlfriend is driving him crazy to get married.

I got married at barely 19 but it was during the Vietnam War and we figured he could get shipped out any time.  We waited (on purpose) 7 years to have children so I could stay home with them.  He worked 2 jobs while I worked and went to school at night.  When he started in on one job, I got pregnant.  It took 7 years to get to that point but you set out goals and you work for it.

I know from some of your posts that you are a person who never, never gives up.  A lot of people would be down on life if they'd had some of the challenges you have.  Yet you understand it's up to you what you do with what's put in front of you.

I respect that so much.  Right now I'm toying with building a smaller house on one floor.  However, my daughter wants me closer to her....Hummm??? I'm very independent.

Take care and I don't say this to a lot of people, but I will tell you that I respect you very much and the way you live your life.  Be safe.  Annabelle/Linda