Honored Contributor

Re: What Are Our Children Learning - And I don't mean Scholastically.

I don't hate technology, lot of good has come from it, but the common touch of being human,and just being with family ,enjoying just talking is just absent .

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

I have grown to hate technology.  The more "advanced" technology we get, the less humanity we will have.

In the not so distant future, robots will take care of our homes and gardens, they already drive our cars (I will never trust that).  Everything will be automated and people will live in a state of virtual reality with nothing to do but push buttons.

I recently saw a program on TV where robotic surgery controlled by doctors thousands of miles away are already being tested.  That's pretty scary.

I love technology. Millions of people are helped everyday by new medical devices that were only a dream years ago. We now have blood glucose machines that you can tell in seconds what your numbers are. Years ago it was just a guessing game. Heart disease is an area of medicine where new life saving technology will prolong lives only years ago would have been lost..

@LilacTree...remember the 1964 World's Fair? Everyone thought by now we would be living like the Jetson's. 

@Trinity11

I'm glad for medical advances, Trin.  But the robotic nature and artificial intelligence of the future will eventually take our humanity away.  It will be possible to communicate with each other with our brains . . . we won't even need a device.  In fact, they will be able to create robots with implanted human brains.  That used to be science fiction . . . no longer.

@LilacTree...I guess I sound like Scarlett O'Hara but I will worry about that another day. LOL. In all sincerity I do not believe we will ever lose our humanity. And like Noel, I believe we are responsible as parents and grandparents to teach our children responsibility and manners. Also there are many professions where a robot would never do. 

Honored Contributor

THIS is a form of talking.  Don't others see that?  We have real conversations, come across real people we love to converse with.

If you don't think that's possible, go look at the almost 10 page conversation on Cheddar Man.  It's polite, serious, funny, informative and so interesting because so many people shared in conversing.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

I have grown to hate technology.  The more "advanced" technology we get, the less humanity we will have.

In the not so distant future, robots will take care of our homes and gardens, they already drive our cars (I will never trust that).  Everything will be automated and people will live in a state of virtual reality with nothing to do but push buttons.

I recently saw a program on TV where robotic surgery controlled by doctors thousands of miles away are already being tested.  That's pretty scary.

I love technology. Millions of people are helped everyday by new medical devices that were only a dream years ago. We now have blood glucose machines that you can tell in seconds what your numbers are. Years ago it was just a guessing game. Heart disease is an area of medicine where new life saving technology will prolong lives only years ago would have been lost..

@LilacTree...remember the 1964 World's Fair? Everyone thought by now we would be living like the Jetson's. 

@Trinity11

I'm glad for medical advances, Trin.  But the robotic nature and artificial intelligence of the future will eventually take our humanity away.  It will be possible to communicate with each other with our brains . . . we won't even need a device.  In fact, they will be able to create robots with implanted human brains.  That used to be science fiction . . . no longer.

@LilacTree...I guess I sound like Scarlett O'Hara but I will worry about that another day. LOL. In all sincerity I do not believe we will ever lose our humanity. And like Noel, I believe we are responsible as parents and grandparents to teach our children responsibility and manners. Also there are many professions where a robot would never do. 

@Trinity11

Pay no attention to me . . . I am old and my days are numbered.  I don't feel as though this is my world anymore in many ways, including the subject of this thread . . . my granddaughters come over, plop down on the sofa and spend the whole time "visiting" with their noses into their phones.  I've mentioned it to my daughter, but she's used to it and ignores it and just says "that's how they all are." 

The only time they have to put their phones down is when we are eating.  So they eat really fast, and excuse themselves to go back to their phones.  I guess I should consider myself lucky that they give me a hug when they leave.  I love them and they love me.  It has nothing to do with that . . . I consider it an addiction.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I taught my daughter all her life, I saw it as my duty to teach her everything I know, and that means we are talk, talk, talking. 

Here's the thing... now she teaches me!  Sure, I keep thinking of something I want her to know, but I'm getting it back now.  It's how I know about a lot of new things, she tells me.  And how I keep up with movies, some new authors, lots of new ideas.

IMO, that's how it's done, we all become teachers for our children and each other.

Honored Contributor

Nothing, no device takes the place of being with family,and talking ,laughing ,sharing.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66

My mom had this framed and hung up in our home she cut it out from Dear Abby.......still good advice today...

Dorothy Law Nolte posted this in her weekly family advice column in the now-defunct Torrance Herald, has been reprinted in 30 languages and probably appeared more than a few times in "Dear Abby."

If children live with criticism, they learn to condemn.

If children live with hostility, they learn to fight.

If children live with fear, they learn to be apprehensive.

If children live with pity, they learn to feel sorry for themselves.

If children live with ridicule, they learn to feel shy.

If children live with jealousy, they learn to feel envy.

If children live with shame, they learn to feel guilty.

If children live with encouragement, they learn confidence.

If children live with tolerance, they learn patience.

If children live with praise, they learn appreciation.

If children live with acceptance, they learn to love.

If children live with approval, they learn to like themselves.

If children live with recognition, they learn it is good to have a goal.

If children live with sharing, they learn generosity.

If children live with honesty, they learn truthfulness

If children live with fairness, they learn justice.

If children live with kindness and consideration, they learn respect.

If children live with security, they learn to have faith in themselves and in those about them.

If children live with friendliness, they learn the world is a nice place in which to live.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt

I used to have that framed, too!  I haven't seen it in years. thanks for posting it Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

Your grandchildren are lucky little ones to have you in their lives.  I fear for the kids who are given an iPad, phone and ccomputer instead of a lot of human interaction. 

I saw a show on PBS where parents sent their internet-addicted teens to internet bootcamp.   It was frightening.

OMG @Elri   AMEN!! 

I went to dinner with my 12 year old niece and 13 year old nephew recently.  I didn't get a hello, nor one word of conversation.  Their heads were either on the tablets they have at the restaurants now or in their phones.  I don't have kids but I'd like to think their phones would be in my purse when we went out to dinner with family so they could interact with the people they love with good old fashioned speaking and listening.  It's just common courtesy.  

@Laura14

Its just not 12 and 13 yr olds.....how about women in their 50's...When we go to lunch or dinner I had to politely ask my friends to put up their phones so we could enjoy some actual face to face conversation.  And its another example of children learning this from seeing adults do it.........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

I am a firm believer that social media has removed some of the reluctance to be mean. It's that anonymity that emboldens people. On the other hand, social media has enabled adults and younger people to say things they wouldn't say face to face, even when their identity is known. Yes, it has made things worse, but as a 9th grade teacher who taught pre social media and post social media, I will say that I observed really mean behavior, sometimes anonymous, sometiimes not in the young teens throughout my 30 year career. Nasty notes stuck in lockers anonymously. Name calling written on the front of lockers. Outright ostracizing and shunning blatantly displayed. No attempts at times to even camouflage the disrespect. I can't even count how many times I had to have private conversations as to the behavior and insensitivity displayed by iindividual students. They were all adept at finding a kid's weakeness or afflictions and going in for the kill. It would become a pecking contest. I even observed developmentally disabled students being exploited for someone else's entertainment. I worked with counselors and principals to deal with the bullies, but most often they reverted to that behavior anyway. Either that, or they blamed the person being bullied. Is this just inherent in human nature?