Honored Contributor

Westminster Abbey Opened On This Date!

On December 28, 1065, Westminster Abbey began its legendary history.   I wonder if those Benedictine monks who were there in the beginning, had any idea that it would still be going strong in the 21st century.

So much has gone on there--  medieval coronations, royal weddings galore, burials of so many British luminaries--  it boggles the mind to think about!

http://www.westminster-abbey.org/

I found some fascinating tidbits at the above site, including that fabulous Jeremy Irons is the voice of the audio tour of the abbey!  Swoon.

How incredible it would be to have attended one of their recent Christmas Carol services.  Oh, they also mention on the site that they are in the midst of constructing the Queen's Diamond Jubilee galleries there, to open in 2018.

Happy birthday, Westminster Abbey!

Frequent Contributor

Re: Westminster Abbey Opened On This Date!

Happy birthday Westminster Abbey! Woman Happy

I'd love to attend their service someday...it is one of my dream.

And I think they have the best choirs in the whole world!

Esteemed Contributor

I like their dog shows! Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2

Westminster Abbey - U.K.

Westminster Do Show - U.S.

Esteemed Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2

Westminster Abbey - U.K.

Westminster Do Show - U.S.

@sfnative

I was being silly.

You did see the Woman LOL (laughing woman) that I put on there, right?

Esteemed Contributor

DD and I had a wonderful time doing stone rubbings at Westminster Abbey on our second trip there.  We were concentrating so hard on keeping our special paper in place and keeping even pressure on our  gold beeswax that we didn't realize what was going on around us.  All of a sudden, my daughter whispers, "Mom, turn around."  So I turned  and there must have been a crowd of 45-50 people, some with video cameras, watching us working on our stone rubbings.  One Japanese gentleman asked us if we had done this before, as our work was "most excellent."  I had to admit to him that I had seen it done on television many times and was applying the skills I had seen and taught to my daughter on pennies at home before we arrived in England.  So...we came home with a 1300s husband and wife. 

Honored Contributor

I took a virtual tour  but was unable to find the audio with Jeremy  Irons

I just love looking at churches. We often go on pilgrimage to  other cities ,and tour the different styles of architecture  there are

My home parish is  very pretty, and a little over 100 years  old. It is a Romanesque style of building.

The cathedrals are most ornate ,and are said to be a representation of the Temple of King David, which was a representation of the Garden of Eden

I have a book called how to read a church, and it explains all of the rich symbolism contained in a church

Honored Contributor

Hi @cherry - thank you for mentioning this book, sounds really interesting.  Think I'll order it.  thanks!

Capture.PNG

Honored Contributor

@Mj12  I learned so much. Stained glass windows were read like a book, always containing  stories from the 4 gospels. Statues helped people understand  biblical characters more clearly

I was struck by figures of pelicans on the altar piece. They had a gash on their breast and were feeding their chicks. That represents the   wine of communion, when we are fed the Sacred Blood .

I think you will enjoy the book. If you get a chance to view some churches take it with you. It's a big help

Honored Contributor

@sfnative, neat to hear about your stone rubbings!