Honored Contributor

Re: Westminister Dog Show 2/10 & 2/11!!!

I just read where there's internet outrage about Daniel the Golden not winning BIS. People are saying he should have won. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I just read where there's internet outrage about Daniel the Golden not winning BIS. People are saying he should have won. 

I agree, he was wonderful.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I thought the Havanese's coat was amazing, like it went to the beauty parlor and had perfect streaks put in.

I thought the whippet was going to win. It was so graceful and moved so perfectly. I didnt care for the blowout fur-do on the sheltie. They really don't look so poofy and IMO it was unnatural looking.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I agree, he was wonderful.

I agree too.  He was stunning and should have won BIS.  I was so disappointed.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Trusted Contributor

I always feel like common dogs like goldens are looked down on at these dog shows. I love the breed but it seems like they rarely win. This poodle that won is just so over the top fancy that I laughed when I saw it. I couldn't imagine the cost of keeping that dog groomed and looking so perfect. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

I always feel like common dogs like goldens are looked down on at these dog shows. I love the breed but it seems like they rarely win. This poodle that won is just so over the top fancy that I laughed when I saw it. I couldn't imagine the cost of keeping that dog groomed and looking so perfect. 

Most people I know who have poodles don't have their fur cut like that. Most of them just get their fur trimmed all over, nothing really fancy like that show dog.

My sweet Golden gets her fur cut in a 'summer cut' for the warmer weather. It helps her from getting over-heated. But i still have to get her groomed throughout the year to keep all of her fur trimmed so that it doesn't get matted or in the way, especially on her back side (poo and pee areas) and her chest area (keep it clean from food and slobber dripping down).

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I only saw the last part for the Best in Show.  That Golden was just gorgeous.  I also liked the whippet and the little terrier.  They were cute as anything.  The boxer was beautiful too.  I used to have a lab and I am partial to them too but all those dogs were delightful.  I actually was rooting for Daniel  but in my mind, they are all champions.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Spurt 

I'm so disappointed I missed this.  Went to bed early as I was not feeling well.

Do you think they will repeat it at some time?

@Witchy Woman 

Sorry you missed it and hope you are feeling better, they are going to broadcast a highlight show on February 23....

Sunday, February 23, 2020 Westminster Kennel Club Highlight Show
Presented by Purina Pro Plan

STREAMING LIVE from 12 pm to 1 pm local time on FOX Sports App

FOX LIVE TELECAST from 12 pm to 1 pm local time on FOX  

Also you can view highlights on videos that they have on their website---westministerkennelclub.org

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

@FindingMyJoy  @SilleeMee 

My aunt had poodles and they had a more natural look instead of that ridiculous haircut like those in the dog show...

download (3).jfif

Here's the history on the "unique poodle cut" :

Image result for poodle with a normal cut

Most observers trace the poodle’s unique haircut to late 16th- and early 17th-century Central Europe (particularly in the region that’s now Germany) where poodles were bred for use as water retrievers.  They shaved the dogs because they felt their coat would weigh them down in the water and they would sink. 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well at least a Golden won the Sporting Group....to me Daniel had it all...personality and good looks Smiley Happy  Seeing him carrying that blue ribbon around in his mouth was just precious.... I was so hoping for him to win Best In Show....Woman Sad