Honored Contributor

Re: Westminister Dog Show 2/10 & 2/11!!!

The reason for the poodle 'do doesn't explain those awful pom-pom fur balls!
Honored Contributor

Is the poodle wearing hair extensions?    I didn't watch this but have see her on a couple of shows from yesterday and this morning.    I couldn't figure how some of that hair got so long.

With non-human animals, their hair doesn't just keep on growing like the hair on our heads.  It grows to a specific point and stops.

I guess I've just never seen that cut before and it looks like she has a lot more hair than I would have expected, especially in terms of length.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
The reason for the poodle 'do doesn't explain those awful pom-pom fur balls!

@Pearlee 

I researched it and this is all I can find....

To have the dogs move better in the water but keep warm they cut their fur in the Pom-Pom fashion. This kept the chest, joints, and head warm but helped alleviate some of the weight when the hair would get wet. The hair on the head would be kept in a top-knot to make sure it didn't get in the dog's eyes........I think I heard the announcer say that the pom pom on the tail was a "jab: at the British Lion. 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

Well at least a Golden won the Sporting Group....to me Daniel had it all...personality and good looks Smiley Happy  Seeing him carrying that blue ribbon around in his mouth was just precious.... I was so hoping for him to win Best In Show....Woman Sad

Yay for this!  Smiley Happy  I'm definitely a 'Golden girl' although my current guy has been my first.  They are so smart, sweet, and wonderful.

Honored Contributor

Daniel the Golden should have won. Maybe a Golden has never won because they're usually the #1 breed to have as a pet. So it's like a snobbery against that.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Contributor

Actually, the Poodle's hair continues to grow. They are considered hypoallergenic because they don't have fur, dander or shed like most dog breeds. I had a standard poodle and he needed grooming/haircut every 6 weeks. He was the mose intelligent, sweet dog i ever owned.  Daily brushing was necessary to keep his coat from matting.

Esteemed Contributor

#danielwasrobbed

I saw this on Twitter. . .he was the only dog to hug his handler.  ❤️

EQjLodHXUAAVrXn.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

This picture is from the Westminster Kennel Club's Instagram.  A gossip site referred to the winner, Siba, as "the Joan Collins of dogs."  That seems so appropriate.  

😂 😂 😂

Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 6.55.54 PM.png

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wildcat fan 

I saw it live. Daniel hugging his handler. It was so sweet. I was in tears when I saw that he had won the Sporting Group.

Respected Contributor

I was pulling for Daniel the GR since the breed has never won and he was lovely.   I also liked the Havanese.  But when the Poodle was up and went around the area, I had a feeling I was looking at the winner. What a gait and face.  The poodle just looked like " here I am and there is none better!!".   Aparently, the judge agreed.