Super Contributor

Re: West Nile and Lantern Flies

We are experiencing a real problem with the lantern flies in NW NJ.  Killed 128 on my deck yesterday.  DD and I have fly swatters and try and get each one that we see.  They do hop away sometimes but for the most part are easy to kill.  Maple trees, willows, birch are some of the trees in danger.  Praying mantises and chickens are 2 of only a few predators of these bugs.  If you see them please kill them.  At least they don't stink or look ugly like a stink bug.  We have them too!  These both landed in PA in shipping containers from overseas and began their spread.

Respected Contributor

The invasive, plant-killing insects are known to lay their eggs on almost any surface, including vehicle exteriors. These egg masses are most concerning because they can go very far by hitchhiking.

Spotted Lantern Flies Infestation

Adult lanternflies can fly but prefer to hop. They feast on more than 70 plant species and leave behind “honeydew” droppings, which attract wasps and other stinging insects and which breed a black, sooty mold that can significantly damage plants. The mature insects die in the cold, but their egg masses, which can hold between 30 and 50 eggs and look like a grayish putty, withstand winter temperatures and release a new generation in the spring.

Lanternfly eggs

Honored Contributor

@On It Chagas Disease. Horrible.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624  Yep...the cooler temps are welcomed...DH and I drove up into the the mountains and cut a cord of wood this morning.  It was nice and cool..

DW

Honored Contributor

@dancingwoman   Sounds like you and dh got your exercise. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624  Yep..he cuts..I load.  Seems like he had to cut my pieces a little smaller this year.  I guess turning 70 took a little of my strength away..lol...he splits it all by hand..doesn't use a splitter.   I then will stack.  It was warm when we got back to the house tho...85°...DW

Honored Contributor

@MorningLover 

That putty turned up on my Azaleas last year. I never saw any insects but the branches are turning black. They bloomed this year but maybe won't next spring. They're dying, only a matter of time.

Honored Contributor

We removed five huge, towering pine trees from our yard anout two weeks ago.  Since then, we have had lantern flies every where.

I go out to our deck a few times a day with a fly swatter to kill them.  They move quickly and can be difficult to kill. They also settle on my sliding patio doors.

I live in PA and we were told to kill them immediately.  They are very distructive.