Honored Contributor

Re: West Coast friends: worried!

No thanks @Annabellethecat66

You can keep your hot and humid summers 😉

Esteemed Contributor

I am a native New Yorker who moved to the San Fernando Valley in California in 1965.  We bought a house in Northridge with a pool and one day I  noticed the pool water slightly waving.  I called my husband at work and told him something is wrong with the pool, the water is moving...his reply, "We just had a small earthquake."  What did I know?  I didn't feel anything move in the house, thank goodness!!!!

The quake we had in 1969 taught me how frightening they are.  Our foundation cracked and the pool suffered a couple of cracks.  Thank goodness nothing inside the house was damaged,

Moving forward to 1994, living in Encino at the time, that was the one I will never forget and hope to never experience again should I move back to CA.  The rolling and shaking seemed to go on and on, no lights, no way of knowing what was happening.  I was fortunate, I didn't sustain much damage and what was destroyed was easily replaced, except of course my nerves.  Having lived in CA for forty years I got used to the small shakes, well almost got used to it, it still caused my heart to skip a beat or two.  Right now Mother Nature is on a rampage and I pray she calms down and everyone stays safe. 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Super Contributor

I live in So. CA.  If 3 point earthquakes happens in the middle of the night, I usually don't even wake up.  I am surprised when they mention it on the news....

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 Yes! We do have some humid days here and there (usually in the month of August).  However, they only usually last for a day or two at a time.

My daughter lives in Colorado and loves it, but when she comes home to Va she always says, "Mom!  I forget how beautiful Va is with the trees....so many trees....

We'd travel quite a bit when my husband was alive.  I could live anywhere these days.  I've only found one place I liked as well as Va and it's Stratford Upon Avon.  My husband used to say, "You do know all of this is for the tourists".  Ha!  It's just magical there.

Honored Contributor

I just had missed (by a couple of months or so)  the last big one in Mexico City.  In the eighties, I believe.  All I can say is, in cities, try to keep away from tall buildings, glass buildings, etc. if at all possible.  And always, always keep an eye out for the nearest exits wherever you are, no matter which type of possible natural disaster area we are in.  Stop looking down into our phones/gadgets, etc.  Be aware.  It's all that we can do, imo.  Wishing everyone the best of luck. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

It's weird how the rolling quakes can...roll. I was once on a pay phone (that long ago!) talking to home about three miles away. I started to feel a quake and said so. On the other end of the line I was getting "No we're not, you're cra....oh! Yeah, we are!" It took several seconds to move on down the coast.

I lived through the San Fernando and Northridge quakes, though I didn't live near the epicenter of either. I lived near the San Fernando quake but moved away only a year before the quake hit.

I was on the freeway during the Whittier Narrows quake and never felt a thing. When I got to work that was all the discussion, and I was "What quake?"

I'm now not terribly far from the San Andreas fault - but because this general area is so relatively sparsely populated I don't think there have been any devastating quakes in this area for many years - certainly they would have been before I was born. A low wall in the yard cracked during Loma Prieta but that was all, nothing damaged the house.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Noel7 Yes! We do have some humid days here and there (usually in the month of August).  However, they only usually last for a day or two at a time.

My daughter lives in Colorado and loves it, but when she comes home to Va she always says, "Mom!  I forget how beautiful Va is with the trees....so many trees....

We'd travel quite a bit when my husband was alive.  I could live anywhere these days.  I've only found one place I liked as well as Va and it's Stratford Upon Avon.  My husband used to say, "You do know all of this is for the tourists".  Ha!  It's just magical there.

@Annabellethecat66

I've been to Stratford on Avon, it's pretty but nothing compared to Yosemite or the Sierras or Rocky Mountains or the Redwoods.  CA is amazing and we have it all: lakes, mountains, beaches, tourist cities, even a beautiful desert. 

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 You have your favorites and I have mine.  Other's have theirs.  That's what makes life wonderful!

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

It's weird how the rolling quakes can...roll. I was once on a pay phone (that long ago!) talking to home about three miles away. I started to feel a quake and said so. On the other end of the line I was getting "No we're not, you're cra....oh! Yeah, we are!" It took several seconds to move on down the coast.

I lived through the San Fernando and Northridge quakes, though I didn't live near the epicenter of either. I lived near the San Fernando quake but moved away only a year before the quake hit.

I was on the freeway during the Whittier Narrows quake and never felt a thing. When I got to work that was all the discussion, and I was "What quake?"

I'm now not terribly far from the San Andreas fault - but because this general area is so relatively sparsely populated I don't think there have been any devastating quakes in this area for many years - certainly they would have been before I was born. A low wall in the yard cracked during Loma Prieta but that was all, nothing damaged the house.

@Moonchilde

Santa Cruz was hit hard by Loma Prieta.  The downtown area especially. A beautiful building on a corner in the heart of town was devastated, and if I remember correctly, there was a death in one of the small stores on that main street.  They said it would never look the same.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Noel7 You have your favorites and I have mine.  Other's have theirs.  That's what makes life wonderful!

@Annabellethecat66

Of course, but have you been to those places in order to compare and contrast?  I've been to Virginia and the others 😉