Respected Contributor

West Coast friends: worried!

1. I don't know why my Kindle started numbering stuff....
  2. What are you being told by the local news in terms of earthquakes? I know LA had one last night,Oaxaca and now Mexico City just had a major one....
  3. Please check in!
  4. Hugs,
  5. Poodlepet2
Honored Contributor

Re: West Coast friends: worried!

[ Edited ]

@Poodlepet2, the earthquake in LA is nothing to mention at 3.6. It would certainly have been feel-able to local residents living near the epicenter, but a roll over and go back to sleep kind. Were I still in LA I would undoubtedly have felt it as I was close to Westwood. A bottle or glass or two might have rolled off a shelf.

It was felt in West LA and in The Valley, because the epicenter was halfway between geographically, in the hills.

What people don't realize is that it's not just the magnitude number that is an indicator of how much we might or might not feel from an earthquake.

These things all affect how much you feel it:

1) The building you're in, or what you're doing. Upstairs feels more, old buildings feel more.  Walking on the street, sitting at a cafe - maybe, maybe not. Driving your car? Most likely you won't feel a thing unless it's a large quake or you're sitting at a red light.

2) How "deep" was it. The deeper the quake the less you'll feel. The farther/deeper offshore it is, the less it will be felt on land.

3) How close to the epicenter you are.

4) Whether it's a roller or a shaker, the ground moves differently.

5) What the ground under your dwelling consists of geologically. Many areas of SoCal, mostly those adjacent to water, have soil liquefaction during an earthquake. You will feel quakes more and dwellings go buh-byee much more during a severe/strong quake in such areas.

From Science Daily:

"Earthquake liquefaction, often referred to simply as liquefaction, is the process by which saturated, unconsolidated soil or sand is converted into a suspension during an earthquake. The effect on structures and buildings can be devastating, and is a major contributor to urban seismic risk."

Yes, it's possible to feel a "little" quake fairly strongly compared to others if you live practically on top of it.

When I lived in West LA, a few years ago there was a several week mini-swarm of small quakes - in Westwood, off-shore Santa Monica, off-shore Venice, Pacific Palisades - and I felt them all proportionately more than someone who lived in the South Bay, who probably didn't feel them at all. I lived upstairs in an old building, some of the quakes were shallow, and most were within 5 miles or less - all contributing to why I felt them. Not that they frightened me unduly, but they did wake or startle me briefly.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:
  1. I don't know why my Kindle started numbering stuff....
  2. What are you being told by the local news in terms of earthquakes? I know LA had one last night,Oaxaca and now Mexico City just had a major one....
  3. Please check in!
  4. Hugs,
  5. Poodlepet2

Hi @Poodlepet2

Everything is OK here, I don't think anyone is worried. A three point something usually doesn't raise an eyebrow and I don't think the Mexico quake is an indicator of more trouble. 

All is well 😊

Respected Contributor

@Noel7, I agree with you about the lower magnitude, but Heck, it was on national news...I'm just wondering if all that West Coast activity on the continent is a Herald...I will check the USGS.

POODLEPET2

Respected Contributor

the LA quake last night did wake me up - i remember wondering, did we have a quake, so what i felt in the San Fernando Valley was hardly a major jolt as can be the case.  then i would have been up for a couple of hours, waiting ........i can't believe that Mexico has had 2 big quakes in a few weeks.  i did double check my water, cat food, canned goods, juices, the other day -  by coincidence.  i do believe i'll put more batteries on my list though.  i'm hoping if i am prepared, nothing will happen.  

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

@Noel7, I agree with you about the lower magnitude, but Heck, it was on national news...I'm just wondering if all that West Coast activity on the continent is a Herald...I will check the USGS.

POODLEPET2

@Poodlepet2

Usually small quakes are almost considered a good thing because they relieve some of the pressure on the plates.  

Esteemed Contributor

The 7.1 quake that happened in Mexico today, was down on the southern end of Mexico..

That was nowhere near L.A. or California.

Relax.

No need to worry.

Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2, I guess concerned would have been a better choice.

We aren't talking about superficial land features: tectonic plates are different critters. It's been so quiet for pretty much so long.

I am not as well versed on geology as I am with weather, but the tremors-a major quake-and if you look at the USGS, Alaska and the Pacific NW are artistically busy places....as is the Carribean....

Poodlepet2

Trusted Contributor

The 7.1 in Mexico is so sad and devastating. 

Being CA born and raised and still here...3.6 is just enough to stir my coffee. ☕️

Honored Contributor

I remember when a small earthquake hit Va several years ago.

I was at my daughter's with my grandchildren.  It scared us!  I can't imagine living in a place where a 3 (something) earthquake is 'nothing'.  Good grief!  

I'd move.  We are lucky here in Va.  We get some snow now and then (and of course the government....(all of you guy's government too) shuts down....Ha!

Other than that, we're pretty lucky here.  That's one reason I like living in Va.