Respected Contributor

Re: Were comic books ever a part of your youth?

Yes!  Every time my dad went to our local drug store "Bohen's"...man, remember local drug stores?...that weren't Walgreen's or CVS?...anyway, whenever dad was going there for pipe tobacco or cough drops or whatever, I'd go along with him and get to buy a comic book or two...loved them.  Dennis the Menace, Millie the Model, Archie, Little Lulu were all my favorites. I remember they were either 12cents (!!!) for the average size ones or 25 cents for bigger, "Special" issues...such as Dennis the Menace visits Yellowstone National Park...I literally remember that one.  I loved when there was a special issue.  Ha..good times. Smiley Happy 

Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

Yep read many comic books as a kid:

The Archies

Little Audrey 

Little Dot 

Casper and Wendy 

Richie Rich

My mom said that comic books kept kids interested in reading....

Oh right! I forgot some of those in my response, but I used to LOVE Richie Rich and I remember Little Dot too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I loved archie and the gang.  Betty and Veronica, Jughead, etc.  but I also loved Little Lulu , Richie Rich, Little Lotta, Dot, Little Audrey, Nancy and Sluggo, little Margie, Casper i wasn't into the super heros. 

Honored Contributor

There were also medical comic books at the time.  I remember the first one I read, I thought I was going to faint.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember reading Blondie, Little Lulu, Felix the Cat, Casper the Friendly Ghost, Popeye, Archie & Veronica, Chip 'n' Dale, Donald Duck, and some of my brothers...like Superman. My brother liked Flash Gordon, Superman, Mad magazine, and monster comics. We would trade comics with the children in the neighborhood. There was also a comic book exchange not far away where you could also buy new comics. Beautiful memories! Smiley Happy

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

@amyb wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

Yep read many comic books as a kid:

The Archies

Little Audrey 

Little Dot 

Casper and Wendy 

Richie Rich

My mom said that comic books kept kids interested in reading....

Oh right! I forgot some of those in my response, but I used to LOVE Richie Rich and I remember Little Dot too.

Oh...I had forgotten all about the Littlel Dot comics. Thanks for bringing back another memory!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

No.

Honored Contributor

@hellokitty wrote:

Sure were!  I liked Archie, Little Lulu, Richie Rich and I used to buy paperback books that were Peanuts and Charlie Brown comics.  It was not a comic but I loved reading my older brother's Mad Magazines.

@hellokitty  Yes! Mad Magazine!  I like that too!

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, while growing up out of the US, my brothers and I had  access to American comics!  There was a bookstore in our area that sold American books, comics, magazines etc.  We had all those mentioned in earlier posts at the store and probably in our house!!!

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I never read comic books until I was a teen and purchased my own.  My parents would not buy them and neither would my friend’s parents. They always told us that they were junk books.

We always had “real” books instead.

i remember when I was in the seventh grade and there was a girl in my class who was a straight A student and she had an advanced vocabulary for her age. The teacher asked her where she heard those wordsand I will never forget when she said “ from comic books”

When I heard that, I wanted to read them too.

Maybe that's the reason we weren't allowed to have them!  I could never understand why my mom wouldn't let us have them.