Honored Contributor

Re: Were comic books ever a part of your youth?

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Yes, my sister and I had a pile of comic books on the shelf by the tv. I would read them while I ate breakfast before school and in the car. 

We we had library hour for children every Saturday. I was hooked on the Bobbsey Twins, then went to Nancy Drew and on and on.

I loved Nancy Drew also, and the nurse Cherry Ames books.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes I loved Archie and  Little Lulu. Lulu always had a strip about a little witch, that I used to really like a lot

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

My parents did not allow them. My Mom felt they were a waste of money, and we should read good books from the library. Every month our library would suggest books for different ages and when Mom or Dad took us to the library they would strongly suggest we pick from that list. My Dad only had a third grade education and was always struggling to be a better reader, so he really thought it was important for us to be good readers, as his lack of reading skills had held him back a lot.

@151949

Comic books were a way many very young kids learned to read and often read better than those who claimed to have read “real” books.  Often the comic book kids read well above others.  

In fact, many writers of successful films tell you they were avid readers of comic books as kids.

As a kid, I read at least two entire books a day, and was given a dollar a week to also continue reading comic books.  At that time I was four years old.

SURE

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 consider the source...

Valued Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ... I loved the Bobbsey Twins books.  Did you ever read the Boxcar Children?

Respected Contributor

No I was not allowed to have any & when I was somewhere like my cousin's place I was told they were not mine & I could not look at them.

No TV in our house until I was out of school either.

Honored Contributor

@hellokitty wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ... I loved the Bobbsey Twins books.  Did you ever read the Boxcar Children?

@hellokitty.  No I haven't. I will have to google them. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

No comic books in my family, but we certainly enjoyed the comic pages in the newspaper. In fact, my mom used one of the daily comics to teach me how to read when I was about 4 years old. She said I loved whichever one it was, and I appeared to be ready to read so she went for it. It confounded the heck out of a couple of my elementary school teachers because I was reading before I started kindergarten, and well beyond grade level but mom always made sure I had books to read from the public library that challenged me more than sticking to the ones the teachers said I was allowed to read.

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our boy cousins (brothers) had Classics Illustrated which featured the classics.  They gave them to my sister and me.  We loved them. Believe it or not, they helped me a great deal when I read some of the classics in high school.  I knew the stories already so reading them was a bit easier

here

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Preteens my friend and I read Archie and Veronica comics.  I think a Little Lulu would show up now and then too.  Hahaha.  Man.

The above plus Baby Huey. I always found Veronica the more interesting, even though we were supposed to admire Betty. Veronica had sass.