Esteemed Contributor

Re: Were You Around When Zip Codes "Became"?

Don't we have a zip code forum??

Kidding!!...I'm kidding!!!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In the Chicagoland area there was a jingle that to this day still sticks in my head:

HUdson three two seven hundred in a deep baratone voice.  I think it was for a carpet company.

eta:  it was for a furniture cleaning company . . . funny I remember the jingle so clearly but not the company.

I also have a yardstick from my parents that has MUrray one four thousand for a Chevy dealership imprinted on it . . . good times!

Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF You made me laugh!  I like your sense of humor!

Esteemed Contributor

@pattypeep wrote:

If memory serves me it was in the '60's. Anyway, I remember the hype about how it will help the mail move faster, etc. Today we received a piece of mail kindly forwarded to us by the erroneous recipient. It had the wrong name, the wrong state, and the wrong zip code. Same PO Box number and same town "name". This isn't the first time we have received mail from someone with the same town name, but nothing else matches. So ~~ herein lies my question. Is mail really sorted by zip code?

Old foggies like me remember long before zip codes. Originally it was only: " City, State". It then was decided adding a "City Zone Number" would expedite the mail.

Hence it went: "City, number(1/2/3 and so on", with the number digit designating the zone/aka--part of the city-North!South etc.

If they had " Air Mail" back then, we never used it. My guess it probably cost penny or 2 more to mail them.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I was just a kid, but I do remember this.  My parents would discuss it, and there was advertising on the TV (I think?).  I also remember when phone numbers began with letters, not digits.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@animallover65 wrote:

Pearley, this caught my eye.   Our telephone number started with Yellowstone.   Are you in NYS?

Hi, @animallover65 .  First off, I don't live now where I lived then ahd haven't in many years.   But, I've never lived in NYS at all so that Yellowstone thing in common is very odd!  I thought that was just for my area!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

One of  you posters reminded me of the telephone alphabetic prefix ---KLO now ###.  I was on an assignment in the telephone company's dial assignment office.  The area where we had just bought a home was considered rural then:  we only had rotary dials instead of touch tone keypads.  

So, rather than get a high number series for the 4-digit part of the Tel. Number, I picked 1's and 2's.  Very fast to call home or Neighbors to call us.  One of the few perks of that job...also, it was  the digital form of the day before my birthday so DH could not forget !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

Mr. ZIP !!

Mr Zip | Retroland

Esteemed Contributor

I worked as a long distance telephone operator for a few years  when they were using NAMES for prefixes instead of area codes.   I took this call one night.

"Operator, I want to call 555 -1212 in this city.  And, Operator, you'll have to go through the TOWNHALL there to get that number!"  (TO 555-1212) 

Honored Contributor

Return to sender

address unknown

no such number

no such zone

Elvis

I remember when zip codes were called zones.  

Yes, they make the mail delivery faster.