Respected Contributor

Re: Went to try clothes on in WM, had online order in box/taped up, clerk would not

I order online from Walmart. 35.00 free shipping. They have many more name brand clothing available. I rarely have to return anything. If I do I end up buying groceries. Things like pies and sweets that I really don’t need.

Honored Contributor

Re: Went to try clothes on in WM, had online order in box/taped up, clerk would not

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

You could have saved yourself all the hassle if you would have gone to the clothing and tried everything on first BEFORE you did your grocery and package pick up.  Easy peasy.

My thoughts exactly. Many stores will not allow bags boxes or carts in the dressing rooms... Right or wrong, that's how they roll...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@msh8970 wrote:

Some people seem confused here. My online order was not clothing, there was no need to open the box at all. But the online order was paid for. I was wanting to try on pajamas right off the rack. I made one attempt to try the pajamas on before picking up the online order (because I suspected there might be an isue with me taking the box into the fitting room). But good grief, i waited for at least 3 songs, how long should I have to wait for a fitting room attendant? That's why I went and picked up my online order. 

And honestly, again, this clerk thought I was going to try and rip open the box and stuff one pair of pajamas in? I can see the point, but if they are that concerned about their fitting rooms, maybe they hsould have enpugh employees to be able to always have someone there at the fitting room, insted of one clerk seemingly having to perform the jobs of 3 people... Hence, why would I think she would stand there to 'babysit' my paid merchandise while I try on the pajamas? The poor woman has work to do, becuase Walmart has one employee basically doing 3 people's jobs...from what I've heard, anyway..she is not going to stand there to babysit someone's online order..yeah, alrighty then.... 

Sadly, I hope this clerk wasn't fired because you reported her. She was definitely doing her job, as I see it, and you were trying to get past the rules for your own benefit.

Sometimes you just can't win.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

You could have saved yourself all the hassle if you would have gone to the clothing and tried everything on first BEFORE you did your grocery and package pick up.  Easy peasy.

My thoughts exactly. Many stores will not allow bags boxes or carts in the dressing rooms... Right or wrong, that's how they roll...

Yes, this particular store policy is very common.  But even if it was rare, it's still store policy - so if something is not allowed, then it's not allowed.  End of story.  The reason for this rule is pretty obvious.  I thought it was common knowledge that dressing rooms are real hotspots for shoplifters, and letting customers bring in a box or a bag just makes it easier to steal.   I always assume that nothing can be brought into a dressing room.

And when I'm told that something is store policy, that's the end of it.  I'm certainly not going to kick up a fuss and demand that they make an exception for me.  Store employees are not supposed to make judgment calls about who is likely to steal and who isn't.  They're supposed to follow the rules and enforce the policy.  No one is obigated to change the rules for me, and if I don't agree with a store's policy (about anything), I can choose to shop elsewhere.  Their store, their rules.

Respected Contributor

Unfortunately, there are a lot of bad apples out there who might try to sneak something else into the package that was already paid for. Most stores do not allow you to take other packages into a dressing room. I have had to leave my packages in my cart or with the person in charge of the dressing rooms many times. They say that they will watch them. I trust that they do. They certainly do not want to be accused of losing someone's packages. Sad that such a policy is necessary, but that's the world that we live in. 

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's Walmart....there is an old man who sleeps in a chair by one of the doors....he is supposed to check your pkg if you bring something in...but he looks so peaceful most don't want to wake him.....

the only thing that keeps WM alive is lower prices andbroad selection of merchandise...it is not quality or customer service.....just don't expect any and you won't be disappointed.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lovesrecess wrote:

It's Walmart....there is an old man who sleeps in a chair by one of the doors....he is supposed to check your pkg if you bring something in...but he looks so peaceful most don't want to wake him.....

the only thing that keeps WM alive is lower prices andbroad selection of merchandise...it is not quality or customer service.....just don't expect any and you won't be disappointed.

So funny. At our Walmart, the greeter must stand...even though he looks to be in his 80s. If you do not have a sticker that he put on the package, Customer Service will not accept the package. One day an older lady was sitting in a chair as greeter. I commented on how nice it was that they were allowed to sit now. She said, "Yes, but they made me buy my own chair." I told her that if she could prove disability, they would have had to purchase it.

Walmart is really only one of the few stores we have around here, so...not much choice. I kept getting double charged for things, and every week I would have to bring in my receipt to prove that I was double charged. This happened about six weeks in a row. It seemed too frequent to be accidental. I finally wrote to Walmart. The manager called and asked me to come in. I told him that at Aldi's, if there is a mistake or a bad product, they not only refund your money, they also give you another one of the products free. The manager handed me a $20 Walmart gift card for all the errors. It pays to complain, and I haven't had any problems since.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

OP did nothing wrong. I would never leave my paid-for items with an associate when they rarely stay at the desk...you would have no recourse if your box disappeared. Amazed at the criticism when all she wanted to do was keep her purchased item inher own possession.
Honored Contributor

The way I see it Walmart has a right to expect customers to abide by their rules.  

Unless it's very, very cold in the store one would accurately assume the frozen items would thaw quickly.

I've found there have been times (when lines were long) my ice cream started melting while just standing in line to check out.

What in the world would possess the OP to go try on clothes AFTER shopping for food?  

Respected Contributor

@msh8970

I'm afraid I have to agree with everyone else.  It's not just Wal Mart policy.  There are many stores who will not allow packages in the dressing room - and those few that will, I often wonder if you are being observed.  I've had to check my packages many times, and stand in line to get them when I finished in the dressing room. Most stores have a sign, and if I'm not mistaken, Wal Mart does, that clearly state packages are not allowed in the dressing room.   It's a sad state of the world, but people are ingenious in their scheme to steal.   

It might have been an inconvenience, but it was a lesson learned. 

By the way, I love shopping online with Wal Mart.  They are certainly giving Amazon a run with their variety.