Honored Contributor

Re: Went to try clothes on in WM, had online order in box/taped up, clerk would not

@msh8970  What they should do is check the contents of the online order box so you can take it with you and when you come out, check it again if they did not count the items you took in.  There is so much theft in these stores.  The store should always have someone at the fitting rooms and if it is not busy then having that person working in the area so they can see customers.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: Went to try clothes on in WM, had online order in box/taped up, clerk would not

@msh8970  The Walmart associate was correct and doing her job appropriately.  Badgering her to get your way was out of line.  If the box was an issue you should have brought it to your car before doing the rest of your shopping.  Shoplifters have all kinds of angles.  The associate had no way of knowing if you had a box cutter and/or packaging tape in your purse, to where you coulf theoretically open the box, put unpaid items inside, and tape it up again.  Having childred who have worked big box retail and have been involved with asset loss & prevention, we've heard all kinds of stories you wouldn't believe.

Esteemed Contributor

Why not just leave the box as it was taped up with the sales associate.

Esteemed Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

You could have saved yourself all the hassle if you would have gone to the clothing and tried everything on first BEFORE you did your grocery and package pick up.  Easy peasy.

I agree.  

And it's completely understandable why store policy would forbid bags and packages in the dressing rooms.  Shoplifting is a huge problem, and they do all they can to prevent it from happening. 

This was poor planning on the OP's part all the way around.  IMO she has nothing to be outraged about.

Esteemed Contributor

@msh8970 wrote:

So by the same token, if my paid for merchandise ends up MIA, then what? Will Walmart replace it? I don't think so! And please..wanting to try on a pair of pajamas..yeah, gonna stuff them into a heavily taped up box. 

I can see their policy to an extent. And I did ponder just buying the pajamas and returning them if they did not fit. But why the hassle or havcing to return when I can try them on..? I guess if I knew the hassle I did end up having, I would've either just bought the pajamas and indeed just return them if they did not work out, or maybe..I could buy pajamas elsewhere. Again, I totally see their 'policy' and yes, shoplifters are very clever, but really..she gave me all this grief over wanting to try on a pair of pajamas and take my paid merchandise into the room with me..?..again, if my paid merchandise did go MIA, then what? I would just be SOL. And I did wait to try them on before picking up my online order. How long am I to wait for an attendant? I waited over 10 minutes, and she expects me to believe that she is going to sit there and 'babysit' my paid merchandise..? Right. Okay then. FWIW, I left my cart at the fitting room before with my other items while I tried something on, and I forgot I had my car keys in the cart. Someone thought my cart needed returned to the front of the store..talk about feeling like you are about to have a heart attack!! Smiley Surprised Smiley Surprised Smiley Surprised

I guess I am just not meant to try on clothes in Walmart... *shrug* 

That's her job - to enforce store policy.  She's not the one who set the policy, and she may dislike it just as much as you do.  But she's supposed to be sure that customers don't bring anything into the dressing rooms that store policy dictates is not allowed.  By giving her a hard time about it, you're asking her to risk her job.  And complaining about it was the wrong thng to do.

If you don't like the policy, that's fine.  No one is forcing you to shop there, and certainly no one was forcing you to do any of what you did in the order that you chose to do it. 

All of this seems like a huge over-reaction to me.

Honored Contributor

One of the main news stories for this area yesterday was about a Wal-Mart shopper who walked into the store, took a child’s car seat out of its box, then walked thru the store pushing his cart like any normal shopper, hiding about $2000 of store merchandise in that box.   He closed the box, then went thru the checkout so the clerk could scan the barcode on the car seat box, he paid the price that came up, then calmly walked out of the store with all the stuff he literally stole.    The camera got a good picture of his face, walking out the door, and I feel sure someone will recognize him and turn him in.    

Respected Contributor

@msh8970 wrote:

So by the same token, if my paid for merchandise ends up MIA, then what? Will Walmart replace it? I don't think so! And please..wanting to try on a pair of pajamas..yeah, gonna stuff them into a heavily taped up box. 

I can see their policy to an extent. And I did ponder just buying the pajamas and returning them if they did not fit. But why the hassle or havcing to return when I can try them on..? I guess if I knew the hassle I did end up having, I would've either just bought the pajamas and indeed just return them if they did not work out, or maybe..I could buy pajamas elsewhere. Again, I totally see their 'policy' and yes, shoplifters are very clever, but really..she gave me all this grief over wanting to try on a pair of pajamas and take my paid merchandise into the room with me..?..again, if my paid merchandise did go MIA, then what? I would just be SOL. And I did wait to try them on before picking up my online order. How long am I to wait for an attendant? I waited over 10 minutes, and she expects me to believe that she is going to sit there and 'babysit' my paid merchandise..? Right. Okay then. FWIW, I left my cart at the fitting room before with my other items while I tried something on, and I forgot I had my car keys in the cart. Someone thought my cart needed returned to the front of the store..talk about feeling like you are about to have a heart attack!! Smiley Surprised Smiley Surprised Smiley Surprised

Yes, there are people who would cut open the box, stuff those PJ's & anything else they can get their hands on inside it without a second thought. The clerk did correct thing asking for the box so understand it's not about you, it's about theft that costs customers, retailers & the ecomony Billions. I learn from past experience how to shop the store I'm in, I plan out what I need to get done there & then what order items go into my cart & if I'm  also picking up an order I take it out to my car before I start shopping. I worked in retail, it's a low paying difficult job & sometimes you're stuck between unreasonable customers who think the world revolves around them & management who must believe the customer is always right or lose their business...I'd rather clean porta-potties than do that job again. I'm sorry you were upset at WM but there's another side to the story & it's an important one.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I buy from Walmart on-line all the time. I go to their store to pick up my order and while I'm there I do my shopping. I take everything home after that and if I need to return something because it didn't fit or it was the wrong color...whatever...then I make another trip back to Walmart. No waiting for me. I can't stand waiting.

Oh and a word of caution about WM pick-ups.  When you go to get your stuff at the pick-up desk, be sure to check each thing that you ordered on-line before you take it out of the store. One time I neglected to check and I got home and realized that the item I took home was not what I ordered and WM would not give me a refund. I think it was because it was a food item, not sure though. The reason the clerk gave me was that my receipt did not match what was in the bag I took home that day. She said I should have looked at it before I took it out of the store.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kitcat51 wrote:

@msh8970 wrote:

Yes, there are people who would cut open the box, stuff those PJ's & anything else they can get their hands on inside it without a second thought. The clerk did correct thing asking for the box so understand it's not about you, it's about theft that costs customers, retailers & the ecomony Billions. I learn from past experience how to shop the store I'm in, I plan out what I need to get done there & then what order items go into my cart & if I'm  also picking up an order I take it out to my car before I start shopping. I worked in retail, it's a low paying difficult job & sometimes you're stuck between unreasonable customers who think the world revolves around them & management who must believe the customer is always right or lose their business...I'd rather clean porta-potties than do that job again. I'm sorry you were upset at WM but there's another side to the story & it's an important one.

You would actually be surprised at the things shoplifters do. We also had online order pick up at our store and were directed by our LP department to transfer all merchandise from the shipping box to an open store bag when a customer picked up their order as a theft deterrent. This also gives the customers a chance to inspect the merchandise and the clerk a chance to verify that it is the right merchandise. So win-win for everyone except shoplifters. 

An experienced shoplifter will come to the store with tools, a box cutter to open boxes, ticket attachers to change price tags on merchandise, even a tool that will remove ink tags. They will stuff stolen merchandise in small appliance boxes, shoe boxes, etc. We had to take time to open every box at check out. The techniques shoplifters use are endless. 

@kitcat51 is right, it's definitely a different world on the other side of the counter. You'd be amazed and appalled at what you see and experience. 

Honored Contributor

I understand the policy but I don't understand what you are complaining about.  You could have placed package outside the dressing room door, and tried on your pj's.  You made a big fuss over absolutely nothing.  I can't figure out why?  Were you just upset because you had to wait for the dressing room?  You got to take your package in with you so, no problem.