Honored Contributor

Went to my first pro soccer match over the weekend

And that was an experience! 

From the Zumba dancing in certain sections of the stadium all game long to the flags and the costumes and apparently there are songs and dances you need to know to fully participate during the match, I was a little in awe.

My sister and I were also a little dismayed at the unsportsmanship both with the stadium packages and the fans to the point that I heard the little kid behind us ask his parents why it was okay to cheat and say things like that. 

Whatever happened to play a good game and may the best team win?  Apparently it is gone.  Now we have to "gore" the other team and not even give them the courtesy of a welcome to the field announcement as the visitors.

But if you like good looking young men (you may need a shower after the jumbotron player pictures) and/or need some exercise, find a sports soccer arena near you.  It was an interesting good time.            

Honored Contributor

Re: Went to my first pro soccer match over the weekend

I know it's the most popular sport in the world but to me soccer is boring, boring, boring.  I don't even watch it on TV.  Can't imagine seeing it live.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50@Everything is better live...you feel the hype and excitement of the crowd.I never watch basketball on tv but my son took me to a pro game and I really enjoyed it.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50  I had no idea what I was watching really but it was a fun time. 

Like @dex said, it's more the experience of the people and how passionate they are or frankly how overzealous they can get. 

It was a playoff game too so the most ardent supporters were over pumped.  At one point I said to my sister I had never seen so much nonsense over a game in all my life.  

Can't imagine what it will be like when the true Superbowl comes to town here.  

Honored Contributor

In early 80s, Tulsa had a team in the NASL and we had season tickets. Very enjoyable sport. I remember very little but the NYC Cosmos (hope that’s right) was the team to fear!!

Memories.

Honored Contributor

@OKPrincess  We played the NY Bulls.  I was getting a kick out of the NY fans which were very close to my section.  They scored once before having it taken away and ripped up the cellophane they had on the seats and threw it up into the air.  LOL

Honored Contributor

Yes the fans are serious about their sport.   We haven’t had a team in a long time but I enjoy watching it on TV.

@Laura14

Honored Contributor

I've never been to one of those.

Honored Contributor

Oh sounds like you had fun!

I've never been to a soccer game. 

Not really a sports fan, tbh.  But I'd never turn down suite seats.  So I'm headed to a Flyers game tonight and enjoyed the Eagles on Sunday.  Although all the food and drink is wasted on me as I bring my own sandwich (HA!).

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm  Suite seats are the best!  I would kill to see a Flyers game but they took away the NHL team here.  Me and I think one lone Buffalo transplant were the only two people in the stands most games.  Smiley Sad

Have fun!