Trusted Contributor

Re: Went to my first pro soccer match over the weekend

@Laura14 - I went to a soccer game in Mercedes-Benz stadium last year, and it was so much fun!  Like you, I am not a big soccer fan, but we had free tickets from a friend and wanted to check out the new stadium.  The game moved very fast and it was really exciting.  I had a much better time than I had expected!  The stadium is very nice and love that retractable roof (when it works!).

Honored Contributor

@dawg lover  That was my first time to the new stadium.  I didn't even realize it was open yet that's how far out I am from what goes on downtown. 

Nice place but it feels much smaller than the other arena or maybe it was just my nosebleed seats.   I had no idea the roof opened and I am not sure how with all the different angles.  I was in awe of them watering the field before the game.

There were playing "She's a bad mamajamma" when I was walking in on Sunday and I had to get down a bit because you just don't hear good music like that anymore.  Thumbs up to the pregamers.

Oh and we had a staff member singing I guess the team song as we were riding up the escalators.  It's like everyone took or drank happy things before the game.  It was wild!

Honored Contributor

I saw Olympic soccer back when it was in Atlanta years ago.

Anything live is more enjoyable, even concerts & such.

But if you really want to see some fun action on the field, watch rugby.

I'm a die hard football fan (high school & college only) but I love me some rugby

Honored Contributor

@software  That's what my sister said!  She is in town from Colorado and showed me a picture of a New Zealand team called Black Death or something like that.  These men were not human.  I'll have to catch a video of it at some point.  Never seen it.    

Respected Contributor

@software  I'm with you love rugby!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Love Rugby!!!!  At my school, we do have rugby teams.  Both women and men's teams.  

Soccer is the only worldwide game (basketball is a close second) The name Soccer originated in the UK.  But starting in the 1970's when Soccer went through the roof in worldwide popularity, the name got changed to football.  Football is the name worldwide.  Those countries that didn't have a name for it, simply call it Football no matter what language they speak.  In the UK, it now Football. Soccer is rarely heard there anymore.  Only i the U.S. it never changed because of NFL.  Huge with little kids in the U.S., drops in interest when they reach their teens.  Soccer was the cause of a war between El Salvadore and Honduras.  I forgot  who won, but it happed in the 1970's and last for a couple of months.  A real war, with tanks, etc.  It went very badly for El Salvadore.  Country never recovered from it.

Soccer war  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_War

Honored Contributor

I actually believe that @songbird.  There was a fight that broke out at the end of the game and they had security surrounding the visitor section the whole time because they apparently knew it was coming. 

Over a game?    I love my teams but harming another human being especially over a non contact sport is ludicrous.  

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

I actually believe that @songbird.  There was a fight that broke out at the end of the game and they had security surrounding the visitor section the whole time because they apparently knew it was coming. 

Over a game?    I love my teams but harming another human being especially over a non contact sport is ludicrous.  

According the wiki, it resulted in a Civil War in El Salvadore (that country is a basket case)  where thousand died.  I think Honduras recovered.  But El Salvadore is still a very dangerous place to visit!

Honored Contributor

As beautiful as I see South Amercia is from afar, I have no desire to witness the beauty in person for exactly that reason.   Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

Soccer is not a non-contact sport.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky