Honored Contributor

Re: Went to a "black tie" wedding and

@Cakers3 wrote:

Those of us who found this  scenario tacky doesn't make us bad people. 

Maybe not bad people, but definitely

someone living in a Half-Empty World.

It’s a Wedding! Have fun! Just go with it..

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3  Perfect post Cakers! sidsmom's post makes no sense what so ever.

Honored Contributor

i understand what @sidsmom is saying.

i just dont get bent out of shape or judge families who want to do a wedding "their way." if i want to contribute, i do......if i dont want to contribute, i dont. ultimately it is my decision alone. i go because i want to celebrate love and togetherness. i want to have a good time. i want the couple and their families to have a good time. if i didnt care, i would not go to the wedding.

i have given to online honeymoon funds, to online home funds, and have given a cash or check. i do usually send it ahead of the wedding. i dont like to wait until the wedding day to give the gift. either way, it all ends up being used the same way......for what the COUPLE wants AND it makes the gift giving that much easier.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

That was tacky. As for wedding gifts, I always give money; I give a gift from their registry for the shower.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

Those of us who found this  scenario tacky doesn't make us bad people. 

Maybe not bad people, but definitely

someone living in a Half-Empty World.

It’s a Wedding! Have fun! Just go with it..

@sidsmom  Wow-nothing like insulting people.   Who are YOU to determine who lives in a Half-Empty World?

It IS just a wedding.  Just because somebody dislikes the idea of that jar doesn't mean that he/she goes through life seeing gloom and doom.

Although I know you like to argue just to argue, I would suggest you temper your assessments of others.  It makes you look half-empty yourself.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

.....AND scene.  There you go...

Honored Contributor

for me TACKY PLUS .

i agree, take a trip you CAN AFFORD , don't ask people for the funds.

I laugh at my honeymoon. it was driving back to east coast to dh duty station (he was in the military). he had gotten us an apartment with the big roaches to go along with it, but we called it home for 18 months.  I paid for my entire wedding myself. my parents didn't like my husband and they refused to help us. oh well nothing I could do. it wasn't much of a wedding but it was all legal which all that counts. PS we have been together for 50 yrs. 

Respected Contributor

I see nothing wrong with a gift registry that includes a contribution to the honeymoon.  If you are going to spend money on them for what they want, what's wrong with them wanting a honeymoon?  They likely have been living on their own for years by the time they get married, and don't need anymore toasters.

However, that is much different than having a jar on the guest tables at the wedding.  That is just sad.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

You should have put a note in it --

"Pay for your own honeymoon!"

Too bad you didn't have any Monopoly money on you. lol

Honored Contributor

Daisy, 

this I like.