Respected Contributor

Re: Went to a "black tie" wedding and

@Wobin wrote:

The funniest part of this is that it was a "black tie" wedding.  Pure class.

@Wobin Yes, good point.

Respected Contributor

@cactusgal wrote:

@panda1234 Next time you go to a Wedding be sure to take some Monopoly Money Lol!! Woman Wink

@cactusgal  good idea

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@q-girl wrote:

Had I attended that wedding I would have gladly contributed to the honeymoon fund jar - I'm sure I could've found a penny or two in the bottom of my handbag to toss into the jar. 

That would've conveyed my feelings regarding that idea.

Hugs . . .

@q-girl Another good idea, thank you. My husband would kill me if I did that.........have to do it when he was not looking.

Honored Contributor

You could slip a note in that says, I gave at the office

Honored Contributor

@fourpaws56 wrote:

I find that very tacky,I would be so embarrassed. If they can't afford a honeymoon they probably should have waited to get married...geesh!

My thoughts exactly. If a person nedds to beg for cash they probably should not be getting married.

Respected Contributor

@Another new name Sue wrote:

Newlyweds should be ashamed to ask for money for a trip.   The purpose of wedding gifts is to help the couple start their own home. A honeymoon can be a couple days at the local beach, mountains, stay at a nice hotel.  If they want a fabulous trip, earn it over years of hard work like most of us do. If mom and dad or the in-laws want to kick in for a fabulous honeymoon, fine, but don’t beg from friends and family. 

@Another new name Sue This isn't always the case. I'm going to a wedding in October and the bride and groom live with the bride's mom. They are not freeloaders. They both work. Mom has a big house, is a widow, and wants the couple there. They already have what they need for when they do decide to move into a house of their own. So I have no problem giving them money for a honeymoon. For the bridal shower, I gave her cash, as did most people. 

Honored Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
I agree the jars and any mention of gifts on the invitation is rude and tacky. I’m planning my wedding now. I had no idea how many of my friends were moonlighting as financial advisors. I find that equally rude and tacky. I’m delighted for the people who celebrated their marriages with cake and punch in the church basement. It’s just not something that works for me.

Who post here too.  I had no idea.

Honored Contributor

What I want to know,

with everyone B&Moaning about the Groom/Bride’s decision

to do something at their wedding, why were you invited anyway?

And since there’s such animosity w/ the Groom/Bride,

why the guest go to this wedding?

Geeze....with ‘friends’ like this, who needs enemies?

If I’m invited to take part in a couple’s new chapter in life,

I’m probably pretty close to them....and equally as happy.

I would want to make this experience as special for them

as well as special for me witnessing it. 

Happiness both ways.

Try it!  It’s lovely!

💞💞

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom  How is a guest to know about a honeymoon jar on the table unless they actually attend the receiption?

Your post makes no sense-people attend and THEN see that jar.  That is the point of this thread.  There was no blatant "animosity". 

Nobody here is not wishing happiness; and if you find that jar the meaning of wishing happiness then good for you.

Those of us who found this  scenario tacky doesn't make us bad people. 

and btw:  Being invited to a wedding doesn't mean that all guests are close to the B&G.

Often the parents want relatives/co-workers that really don't have a relationship with the B&G but are receiving courtesy invites.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

No matter what the bride and groom have at the wedding, honeymoon jar or cash box, whatever, that is their business and up to them.

As for guests to contribute to all this, whether you agree with it or not, is up to the guest. Don't agree with the couple? Don't contribute. Then all can be happy.