Honored Contributor

Re: Went to a "black tie" wedding and

@sidsmom i believe this is an eastern european tradition. MNost I have seen there is a 'wishing well" placed out and men line up to dance with the bride. Before they get their dance they have to put money in the wishing well.

Esteemed Contributor

Our neice had a "go fund me" page for their honeymoon. Honestly, I'm still shaking my head over it. We did not contribute to the fund. Honestly, either skip the honeymoon until you can afford it or take the honeymoon you can afford. 

Super Contributor

Too many couples prepare for the wedding and not the marriage.  If they spent the time and money on their marriage and not the wedding and the show they want to put on for others, the divorce rate might be lower.

Respected Contributor

Got married in City Hall 42 years ago, I regret not having photos, flowers and a gown. Everything else was fine. Had a 5 day honeymoon 2 years later, gifted by my brother in law.

We had no money, nor debt. 

With so much focus on wedding and honeymoon today, 

I wonder-if maybe some of that attention should go into the relationship.

Respected Contributor

You better believe people do weddings different now days. We did a wedding for a couple whose baby was  2 weeks old . The baby was brought to the reception in a wagon. White gown for the bride, tux for the groom and 200 guests to boot. Everyone had a great time. People now days just except every thing.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Me being from a Polish and Slavish family we did have the big wedding over 400 guests. Mass then breakfast then dinner for immediate family then the reception with food, more food, drinks, and yes we had what was called the bridal dance were everyone who cared to dance with me put a $1 in a apron. We had a live polka band that played for 4 hours and when I say everyone had a good time they did. Our wedding and reception was the best wedding people told us for years later. Would I do it again? in a heart beat had the best time of my life that day Sad thing is all most everyone who attended are now gone including my husband but 57 years ago we had a happy day with family and friends. By the way my husband and I helped pay for our wedding. My parents were not stuck with a wedding bill.

Trusted Contributor

I would of turned the jar upside down. 

Honored Contributor

My first marriage we had a modest wedding, just under 100 people. Buffet , nice hall.My SIl's brother had a band and they gave us his services as a wedding gift. Everyone loved them & they got some bookings from our wedding. Second wedding - very small ,church then everyone to a local restaurant for brunch. My Mom made both my wedding cakes - first one was 3 tiers with a champagne fountain in the middle, rum cake. Loved it. Second was chocolate cake, white foundant and live violets cascading down one side - small 2 tier cake but very pretty.I wouldn't have changed any pary of either one.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafter wrote:

We were invited to a wedding and in the invite was a little card - "if you are going to be so generous as to gift us, we would like cash" - didn't go to that one.

In addition to tacky, is "to gift us" even grammatically correct?   I don't think so and I'd pass just on that.   Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

The first honeymoon fund I heard about was set up by and for my niece and her now husband. Both working professionals in NYC and cetainly earning above average NYC salaries. Both families financially comfortable. Also had a registry and a pricey catalogue store/ website. Planned a trip around Europe. I do not go for tacky, so I just ignored it all and chose good old cash. 

In their early thirties, couple of kids now. Bought a house that cost well over a million.