Honored Contributor

Re: Went to a "black tie" wedding and

I wonder if the bride and groom used a wedding planner; can't imagine one with any integrity suggesting such a thing. I do remember years ago there would be a "money tree" near the guest book for guests to clip a check to...but it was understated and not tacky; no one felt obligated
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My three daughters married with beautiful weddings...one rented her wedding gown...beautiful and no storage issues afterwards. The next one bought one from a consignment store that carries only wedding gowns...it was a sample gown from a designer. $350 and it retails for $2K. The youngest daughter bought her gown online from a fb marketplace ad.We did have to go to a bridal store and get a headpiece and veil but it was not very much money.  

There are ways to get what you want without asking others to pay for it. I find the entire concept of "go fund me" completely wrong unless it is for a medical or other emergency issue.

I worked with a woman who was a single mom; she actually took out a loan to give her daughter a lavish wedding...her deadbeat ex walked the daughter down the aisle like he was footing the bill....the woman is probably still paying off that wedding.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@panda1234

Just have to say that your moniker is perfect for a black tie wedding!  I pictured a panda in a dinner jacket and tie. Or do pandas prefer tuxedos?

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cater wrote:

Me being from a Polish and Slavish family we did have the big wedding over 400 guests. Mass then breakfast then dinner for immediate family then the reception with food, more food, drinks, and yes we had what was called the bridal dance were everyone who cared to dance with me put a $1 in a apron. We had a live polka band that played for 4 hours and when I say everyone had a good time they did. Our wedding and reception was the best wedding people told us for years later. Would I do it again? in a heart beat had the best time of my life that day Sad thing is all most everyone who attended are now gone including my husband but 57 years ago we had a happy day with family and friends. By the way my husband and I helped pay for our wedding. My parents were not stuck with a wedding bill.

I grew up in a small town in SW PA with a large Polish/Slovack heritage.  Every wedding does the Bridal Dance.   A dollar is tossed into the maid of honor's apron as each guest steps in to do a twirl with the bride to the Wedding Polka that starts out slow and increases in speed. Guests receive a shot of whiskey, cigar, and a piece of wedding cake after their turn. They join a circle dancing around her as others take their turn.   As the line comes to an end the Bride's female friends and family form a tight circle around her and the Groom must push his way in to grab his Bride.  He picks her up and carries her out the door and they leave the wedding with the apron of money.  The party usually lasts about another hour after their departure.  Such a fun tradition.  

If you know it sing it........la, la, la, la, la, la, la......la, la, la, la, la, la la....la, la, la, la, la, la, la....la, la, la, la, la, la, la    Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Miss Shelly wrote:

@cater wrote:

Me being from a Polish and Slavish family we did have the big wedding over 400 guests. Mass then breakfast then dinner for immediate family then the reception with food, more food, drinks, and yes we had what was called the bridal dance were everyone who cared to dance with me put a $1 in a apron. We had a live polka band that played for 4 hours and when I say everyone had a good time they did. Our wedding and reception was the best wedding people told us for years later. Would I do it again? in a heart beat had the best time of my life that day Sad thing is all most everyone who attended are now gone including my husband but 57 years ago we had a happy day with family and friends. By the way my husband and I helped pay for our wedding. My parents were not stuck with a wedding bill.

I grew up in a small town in SW PA with a large Polish/Slovack heritage.  Every wedding does the Bridal Dance.   A dollar is tossed into the maid of honor's apron as each guest steps in to do a twirl with the bride to the Wedding Polka that starts out slow and increases in speed. Guests receive a shot of whiskey, cigar, and a piece of wedding cake after their turn. They join a circle dancing around her as others take their turn.   As the line comes to an end the Bride's female friends and family form a tight circle around her and the Groom must push his way in to grab his Bride.  He picks her up and carries her out the door and they leave the wedding with the apron of money.  The party usually lasts about another hour after their departure.  Such a fun tradition.  

If you know it sing it........la, la, la, la, la, la, la......la, la, la, la, la, la la....la, la, la, la, la, la, la....la, la, la, la, la, la, la    Smiley Happy

@Miss Shelly How sweet, do they still do it today?  I can picture everything you said, sounds so nice to have a tradition like that.

Honored Contributor

My first thoughts were..... cut back the cost of the wedding.... or honeymoon closer to home! That's just the way people used to think.  Sacrifice here....to get there.  I think the word sacrifice is foreign to many of these people. 

Respected Contributor

@ Shelle
Traditions and customs are super carried down thru generations. Totally acceptable and probably expected by the guests. Even the money tree was acceptable since it was a place to hang cards with money.
Jar on table? Way out of line! Maybe tgey told guests they could contribute at wedding in lieu of gift but that sounds doubtful. Hmmmm, what could one put there to get point across? Probably leaving empty says enough.
Respected Contributor

I guess the feeling of entitlement spreads to all facets of life.
My DS paid off the wedding and then they started planning honeymoon. They will get in for their anniversary. Their choice, their dime.
Trusted Contributor

Although I think the jar was inappropriate,  I also believe someone who attends a dinner reception and gives a cheap gift or no gift is equally tacky. We had that experience at our daughters wedding.  My daughter and her groom invited people from his workplace. Many of them gave nil or just a card, but were not shy about eating or drinking. They just st came for the free food! Tacky. 

When my granddaughter got married, they only invited family and close friends to celebrate this special day. People who attended loved this young couple and were there to truly celebrate their life long union. There may have been 100 guests ( including children)  and they could have easily had 400 if they invited distance relatives , co workers, etc. They wanted this special day to be meaningful for everyone , therefore only close loved ones were included. 

Esteemed Contributor

Ive never heard of a wedding that has jars on the table for that so yes that is tacky to put jars out IMO.

... However, the new thing the past years is to have a "honeymoon registry through a travel agency" as well as a store registry. And I see nothing wrong with that. Its the same as if the guest would be giving cash  or a gift, but now they have the choice to put the money in the honeymoon registry. The guests can also add extra perks for the bride and groom through the resgistry like massages, etc.

...and PS the honeymoon" is still paid in advance by the couple so its "not that they cant afford it. its just a new thing instead of cash. (Had this all explained to me by a relative who is a party planner because at first I thought it was dumb, but now I dont). 

But yeah, while I am ok with a honeymoon registry, jars on the table is tacky IMO

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles