Respected Contributor

Went to a "black tie" wedding and

there were jars on each table marked honeymoon fund. When is this going to stop? Take a trip you can afford and stop asking for money. Has anyone else seen this?

Honored Contributor

Re: Went to a "black tie" wedding and

Simple solution...if you don't like this custom then don't leave any money in the jar. Problem solved.

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

Oh wow....very tacky....

Esteemed Contributor

When is it going to stop? Wish I had an answer to that question.

If the hosts of this black tie wedding wanted all their guests to be shaken down and know how  very tacky they (hosts, bride and groom) are, they succeeded. Were wedding gifts not enough?! Gluttony, plain and simple.

Unbelievable that someone did not veto this in the planning stages. 

Valued Contributor

I agree. So tacky! When DH and I married, we paid for our own wedding.  Our parents weren’t even asked to contribute in any way. If you’re old enough to get married and have the responsibilities that go along with that, you shouldn’t need to ask others to pay for anything.  Keep your wedding and honeymoon within your own budget, and you won’t have a problem. We not only paid for our own wedding, we also paid for our honeymoon, which was a two week cruise. 

Honored Contributor

Whoa!!  I have never seen or heard that before. 

Personally, I don't care how trendy some things may become, can we hold on to class, taste and decorum in some things?  Sorry, that just screams tacky and rude to me. 

What's next, guests are charged at the door (cover charge) to get into the reception?  .

Honored Contributor

We were invited to a wedding and in the invite was a little card - "if you are going to be so generous as to gift us, we would like cash" - didn't go to that one.

Honored Contributor

My niece got married last year in a barn setting and pretty simple. 

Included in the gift registry they selected gift cards for travel, golf bag, etc. 

Things have certainly changed since since the ‘70s. Punch and cake and mints and nuts. We only received a gift — not multiple gifts from the same family.

We paid for our honeymoon. My parents were from the depression era so we didn’t expect or ask for anything.

Trusted Contributor

A great solution if they wanted a fancy honeymoon would have been to elope and use the money spent on the wedding for the honeymoon. My husband and I were dirt poor when we got married. We had a small ceremony in his back yard, served cake and coffee while we sat in the middle of the living room floor and opened our gifts. I wore a dress my grandmother made me for our Senior Prom. Very simple, no frills at all. We just celebrated our 43rd Anniversary. If I could do it all over again....I wouldn’t change a thing. The money people spend on weddings anymore is unbelievable. 

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

We were invited to a wedding and in the invite was a little card - "if you are going to be so generous as to gift us, we would like cash" - didn't go to that one.

@CelticCrafter   WOW, I think you topped me.