Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Runner26 

Oh, good for you!

I am still a little unclear why anyone who has applied for and received a passport still needs a Real ID.    How annoying. 

@Tinkrbl44  You can use a passport instead of a Real ID.

Honored Contributor

Re: Went to DMV

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Sage04 

you are absolutely correct.....it depends on the state..... looked this up.

dmv map.png

@sunshine45   Please Please Please tell me this map  is up- to- date and legit!

At a glance, I saw my new state is dark orange and said *Uh Oh!*.  But dark orange is good???

We just moved like a week ago and have to go thru all that junk of new DLs and registering cars and I lose my beautiful license plates. 

Technically we haven't changed addresses yet, so I've got a little bit of time before we start this process.  It's daunting!

Guess I need to research just how *easy* it's going to be...

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would be in trouble if I had to take the written test again. I have been driving since I was 15 years old and I am in my 50's now.  I have taken the written test twice in my life. Once to obtain my permit when I was 15 years old and the other in my early 20's.

I obviously know how to drive. My problem would be those random questions that they ask. How many feet do you need to stop when a car is in front of you, or the miscellaneous road signs, what does this sign mean. The signs that you will most likely never see in your life. (smile)

I forgot to add that I obtained my Real Id License for California almost two or three years ago. The lines were long for people who did not make an appointment. I had an appointment and all of the required paperwork so the process for me was really smooth. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sage04 wrote:

@Runner26 wrote:

@Sage04 wrote:

@mspemberley wrote:

@Runner26 

I'm glad you posted this, I have to do this soon. You've put me at ease. I'm not looking forward to the written test. Did you have to get a new picture? Not looking forward to that either.

@mspemberley  maybe @Runner26  had to do the written test because her license was from a different State. Talking about pictures, I'm still trying to figure out who is on mine. My goodness, I ask the lady "Who is this" she couldn't stop laughing. I was hoping that when I got the permanent one that it would look different. Guess what? It looks the same.

It seems as if in Georgia the pictures are now in black and white. Just got it earlier this year so next year I will get lost and I will get a new one. Hope I recognize the person on the license.

@Sage04 My temporary license is a half a sheet of paper with no picture. In fact, I thoght it was a receipt. I wish my DL is like my temporary license with no picture but then again I guess that defeats the purpose of a Real I.D. DL?

@Runner26  no picture? That's very strange.The temporary should always have a picture. Maybe your license won't have one either. No matter what there will be a picture lol.

Once my temporary didn't have my signature. I noticed it by the time I got outside so I went back inside and had to take another picture and sign the paper. Years ago the clerk would fold the paper until it was the size of the drivers license. Now they just give you the sheet of paper without looking at it.

@Sage04 

Unless it has changed, in California, temporary licenses do not have pictures. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Runner26 

Oh, good for you!

I am still a little unclear why anyone who has applied for and received a passport still needs a Real ID.    How annoying. 

@Tinkrbl44 

I have a Passport, and the Real ID. It's not mandatory it just a preference. I do not like to take my passport around with me in country.  It's much easier with the DL.

Esteemed Contributor

I got my REAL ID driver's license a year and a half ago when I had to plate my new car that I had just purchased.  I knew what paperwork to bring and it was a really smooth transaction.  I didn't have to take a test nor get a thumbprint though.  I also live in a rural area with a small BMV office that is only open a couple of days per week but I walked right in first thing when they opened and didn't have to wait in line.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Sage04 

you are absolutely correct.....it depends on the state..... looked this up.

dmv map.png

@sunshine45   Please Please Please tell me this map  is up- to- date and legit!

At a glance, I saw my new state is dark orange and said *Uh Oh!*.  But dark orange is good???

We just moved like a week ago and have to go thru all that junk of new DLs and registering cars and I lose my beautiful license plates. 

Technically we haven't changed addresses yet, so I've got a little bit of time before we start this process.  It's daunting!

Guess I need to research just how *easy* it's going to be...

@Lucky Charm 

dark orange is GOOD! LOL

i HOPE this map is accurate.

let us know how it works out.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

in maryland your temporary ID is just a paper.

your real ID usually arrives in a week or less.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Runner26 

Oh, good for you!

@Tinkrbl44 if you have a passport, a Real ID is not needed, however, I do not carry my passport around with me each day. I work at a law firm and need a Real ID or passport to enter the federal courthouse. It is more convenient to carry my Real ID.

Esteemed Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@Sage04 wrote:

@Runner26 wrote:

@Sage04 wrote:

@mspemberley wrote:

@Runner26 

I'm glad you posted this, I have to do this soon. You've put me at ease. I'm not looking forward to the written test. Did you have to get a new picture? Not looking forward to that either.

@mspemberley  maybe @Runner26  had to do the written test because her license was from a different State. Talking about pictures, I'm still trying to figure out who is on mine. My goodness, I ask the lady "Who is this" she couldn't stop laughing. I was hoping that when I got the permanent one that it would look different. Guess what? It looks the same.

It seems as if in Georgia the pictures are now in black and white. Just got it earlier this year so next year I will get lost and I will get a new one. Hope I recognize the person on the license.

@Sage04 My temporary license is a half a sheet of paper with no picture. In fact, I thoght it was a receipt. I wish my DL is like my temporary license with no picture but then again I guess that defeats the purpose of a Real I.D. DL?

@Runner26  no picture? That's very strange.The temporary should always have a picture. Maybe your license won't have one either. No matter what there will be a picture lol.

Once my temporary didn't have my signature. I noticed it by the time I got outside so I went back inside and had to take another picture and sign the paper. Years ago the clerk would fold the paper until it was the size of the drivers license. Now they just give you the sheet of paper without looking at it.

@Sage04 

Unless it has changed, in California, temporary licenses do not have pictures. 

@icezeus  I didn't realize that. Here in Georgia the picture is on the temporary and that's why I always hope that the picture on the license would look better.