Regular Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

I am impressed on SO MANY levels.

First, how in the world can there only be one person ahead of you when you entered. In the past 20 years there have been no less that 25 people ahead of me in line. And in the past few years the line is out the door and down the building. Sometimes I try 4-5 times to find the best time/day and just give up and stand in line for over an hour because I had to get the Real ID.

And congratulations on passing the written test. When I was getting my licence. I carried the book with me and studied and studied. Haven't touched it since. Good for you! I am impressed.

What better way to reward yourself. Making your tummy and feet happy. Good for you!

The DMV I went to is the smallest I've ever seen. In fact, it's in a mall. About a half hour later as I was leaving, there were a small line of about maybe 8 people.

The last time I had to go to a DMV was in 2018 in Illinois when I couldn't renew my DL through mail as previously (Good Driver Status) because I had to take an eye test. This DMV was huge and very busy. At the time they didn't offer Real I.D. and although I had an appointment I waited over an hour just for the eye exam and get my photo taken. 

Regular Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I don't know....but it IS POSSIBLE.  This past Wednesday, I walked straight up to the window at the Scottsdale, AZ MVD.   Took about 10 minutes to renew my driver license.   

In the past, the place was always packed and you could wait hours for your number to be called.

@Desertdi Maybe WEDNESDAY is THE day to go to the DMV? They had a sign that said new extended hours June 1 to Sept 30.  M, Tu, Th, F 7 am-5pm; Wed 9 am-5 pm.

This is a very small DMV office in No. California. 

Regular Contributor

@mspemberley wrote:

@Runner26 

I'm glad you posted this, I have to do this soon. You've put me at ease. I'm not looking forward to the written test. Did you have to get a new picture? Not looking forward to that either.

@mspemberley I had to take an eye exam, a photo, and a written test because I was getting a California DL (I relocated from Illinois). 

I just googled "Real ID California" to see the requirement. I would google for the driver's test manual for your state so you could study for it. 

I believe the 2 wrong questions were regarding consequences for at-fault accidents causing serious inury? How many days to register a vehicle? It's multiple choice.

Regular Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

My last trip to the DMV this past June was my easiest since I became a driver in the '70's.  We are by appt. only and that was so quick and easy.  They did however make one tiny mistake when they gave me my temporary new driver's license they had put some "old woman's face" on MY license.   

@beckyb1012 Hopefully, the person who took my picture did a good job. I asked her to take a nice picture and make sure that it doesn't look like me. My previous DL had a random old woman's face. Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@sunshine45  traffic rules are different in most States. Some you can make a left on red if no traffic is in sight and some you can't. There are a lot of different things. I don't know if it depends on the State or what.

@sunshine45 wrote:

that is interesting......have never heard that you had to take the written (or now computerized) test over again if you are just renewing your license or changing it to another state?

@Sage04 

you are absolutely correct.....it depends on the state..... looked this up.

dmv map.png

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Regular Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@mspemberley wrote:

@Runner26 

I'm glad you posted this, I have to do this soon. You've put me at ease. I'm not looking forward to the written test. Did you have to get a new picture? Not looking forward to that either.

@mspemberley  maybe @Runner26  had to do the written test because her license was from a different State. Talking about pictures, I'm still trying to figure out who is on mine. My goodness, I ask the lady "Who is this" she couldn't stop laughing. I was hoping that when I got the permanent one that it would look different. Guess what? It looks the same.

It seems as if in Georgia the pictures are now in black and white. Just got it earlier this year so next year I will get lost and I will get a new one. Hope I recognize the person on the license.

@Sage04 My temporary license is a half a sheet of paper with no picture. In fact, I thoght it was a receipt. I wish my DL is like my temporary license with no picture but then again I guess that defeats the purpose of a Real I.D. DL?

Regular Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

that is interesting......have never heard that you had to take the written (or now computerized) test over again if you are just renewing your license or changing it to another state?

@sunshine45 I was surprised that I had to take a written test. I was always able to renew my license online because I never had a traffic violation (Good Driver's status), but had to go in person in 2018 to take an eye exam which made sense since your eye does change and a new photo ID. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Runner26 wrote:

@Sage04 wrote:

@mspemberley wrote:

@Runner26 

@mspemberley  maybe @Runner26  had to do the written test because her license was from a different State. Talking about pictures, I'm still trying to figure out who is on mine. My goodness, I ask the lady "Who is this" she couldn't stop laughing. I was hoping that when I got the permanent one that it would look different. Guess what? It looks the same.

It seems as if in Georgia the pictures are now in black and white. Just got it earlier this year so next year I will get lost and I will get a new one. Hope I recognize the person on the license.

@Sage04 My temporary license is a half a sheet of paper with no picture. In fact, I thoght it was a receipt. I wish my DL is like my temporary license with no picture but then again I guess that defeats the purpose of a Real I.D. DL?

@Runner26  no picture? That's very strange.The temporary should always have a picture. Maybe your license won't have one either. No matter what there will be a picture lol.

Once my temporary didn't have my signature. I noticed it by the time I got outside so I went back inside and had to take another picture and sign the paper. Years ago the clerk would fold the paper until it was the size of the drivers license. Now they just give you the sheet of paper without looking at it.

Honored Contributor

Wow...I can't believe they waited until after paying, getting your picture, etc., to take the test.  You'd think that would have been step #1, but I guess it differs by state.  When I moved from Texas to Hawaii, step #1 was to take the written test.  I studied for 2 weeks, although I've been driving since I was 16.  I breezed through the test; I was not going to take a chance on not getting them all correct.

The hardest part was saying good-bye to my Texas driver's license. 😢

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@Runner26 

Oh, good for you!

I am still a little unclear why anyone who has applied for and received a passport still needs a Real ID.    How annoying.