Honored Contributor

Re: Wendy's Salads --- Packaged Romaine Lettuce!

Actually, all bagged lettuce should be washed.

Because of the variety of temperature changes, moisture can accumulate.

Better for restaurants to wash and spin dry all of their bagged lettuce.  

Maybe a salad spinning machine should be invented for restaurant use...........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I don't eat fast food salads for that very reason.  No bags of mixed salad either.  I don't care where they claim the Romaine is coming from, I trust no one.  A salad doesn't have to have lettuce anyway.   

Respected Contributor

The only salads I eat are the ones I make.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ROMARY I had tried washing all my salads but I found a very good study which tested this washing hypothesis. The researchers found that it was not possible to remove pathogens from leafy greens this way because of all the books and crannies in all the leaves. Additionally, before the bagged greens leave the packing plant they have already been triple washed in a water and bleach solution and that doesn’t do the whole trick either. It’s a shame that some of the foods that are so nutritious are so easily contaminated. I’m cooking the greens I eat. Here is the study I’m referring to. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5694878/

Esteemed Contributor

I would never buy bagged lettuce or bagged salads. Lots of bacteria as well.

Honored Contributor

I have switched to iceberg lettuce. I can't keep up with the recalls, and romaine seems to be one of the worst ones for being dirty

Respected Contributor

@smb3 wrote:

The contanimated bagged romaine lettuce comes from Salinas, California.  I am sure Wendy's is not using lettuce from this region, as it has been known this is where it is coming from.  I bought bagged romaine from Walmart (checked the location on bag) and haven't had any problems.  

I bought bagged Romaine last month from our Kroger store here in Northern,W.V.It came from Salinas, Ca. I ate half, was sick the next day, saw the news, and threw the rest away. That pretty much did me in  on bagged lettuce.