Honored Contributor

Wendy's Salads --- Packaged Romaine Lettuce!

I have always liked most of Wendy's salads but haven't had one for a while. With all the problems of people getting sick from eating romaine lettuce and with the CDC advising not to eat bagged romaine I asked the manager of the Wendy's nearest to me which salads of theirs contain romaine, if any. She replied all but the taco salad have bagged lettuce mixes that include romaine. She said the taco salad has only iceberg lettuce.
That pretty much killed my desire to eat the salads, since I don't like the taco one much.
Super Contributor

Re: Wendy's Salads --- Packaged Romaine Lettuce!

The contanimated bagged romaine lettuce comes from Salinas, California.  I am sure Wendy's is not using lettuce from this region, as it has been known this is where it is coming from.  I bought bagged romaine from Walmart (checked the location on bag) and haven't had any problems.  

Honored Contributor

@smb3. FIrst I read it was Salinas but read after that that the CDC thought it more widespread than that and it couldn't pinpoint the location of all of it si advised people not to eat bagged romaine. On the other hand you'd think Wendy'sand their lawyers would be on top of this and know for sure. Me? I'm not taking any chances.
Super Contributor

Oh, I haven't heard anything more than the Salinas problem... I would think the restaurants and food chains would not take a chance if it could put the health of consumers in danger.

Honored Contributor

our restaurants that we go to are still serving romaine.

the grocery stores i purchase from are still selling romaine.

i served a caesar salad for our christmas dinner.

the ONLY romaine pulled was romaine or mixes that had romaine in them that originated from SALINAS.

i have been purchasing romaine that was harvested in YUMA. i ate a caesar salad yesterday from my favorite seafood restaurant.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee.  The original alert was for Romaine from the Salinas, Ca., area.  I'm sure it's grown other places too and that should be fine.  I've noticed Romaine being sold at my supermarket.  Wendy's would be very careful with what they serve.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:
@smb3. FIrst I read it was Salinas but read after that that the CDC thought it more widespread than that and it couldn't pinpoint the location of all of it si advised people not to eat bagged romaine. On the other hand you'd think Wendy'sand their lawyers would be on top of this and know for sure. Me? I'm not taking any chances.

@smb3 The CDC alert is only for Romaine coming from Salinas. It has not changed. If the Romajne is grown somewhere else and the supplier lists where it’s grown it is not part of the current outbreak. I check the CDC website and post any updates here. Thursdays are news release days from the CDC and the CDC goes into more detail about newer outbreaks. Being cautious about lettuce isn’t bad because newly contaminated products are not discovered right away, if at all,  and field grown lettuce and other greens have had frequent recalls. For me, I’ve been sautéing or steaming  my spinach and other greens. 

QUOTED DIRECTLY FROM THE CDC:

CDC continues to advise that consumers not eat and retailers not sell any romaine lettuce grown in the Salinas, California, growing region. This includes all use-by dates and brands of romaine lettuce from this region.

Have questions? Visit the Frequently Asked Questions web page.

• Most romaine lettuce products are labeled with a harvest location showing where they were grown.
  • This advice includes all types of romaine lettuce grown in Salinas, California, such as whole heads of romaine, organic romaine, hearts of romaine, romaine in salad wraps, and packages of precut lettuce and salad mixes which contain romaine, including baby romaine, spring mix, and Caesar salad.
    • Hydroponically- and greenhouse-grown romaine, which may be labeled as “indoor grown,” from any region does not appear to be related to the current outbreak.
  • If you have romaine lettuce or packaged foods containing romaine at home:
    • Look for a label showing where the romaine lettuce was grown. It may be printed on the package or on a sticker.
    • If the label says “grown in Salinas” (whether alone or with the name of another location), don’t eat it. Throw it away.
    • If it isn’t labeled with a growing region, don’t eat it. Throw it away.
    • If you don’t know if the lettuce is romaine or whether a salad mix or wrap contains romaine, don’t eat it. Throw it away.
    • Wash and sanitize drawers or shelves in refrigerators where romaine lettuce was stored. Follow these five steps to clean your refrigerator.
  • If you are buying romaine lettuce at a store:
    • Look for a label showing where the romaine lettuce was grown. It may be printed on the package or on a sticker.
    • If the label says “grown in Salinas” (whether alone or with the name of another location), don’t buy it.
    • If it isn’t labeled with a growing region, don’t buy it.
  • Restaurants and retailers should check the label on bags or boxes of romaine lettuce, or ask their suppliers about the source of their romaine lettuce.
    • If the label says “grown in Salinas” (whether alone or with the name of another location), don’t sell or serve it.
    • If it isn’t labeled with a growing region, don’t sell or serve it.
  • Suppliers, distributors, and others in the supply chain should not ship or sell romaine harvested in Salinas, California.

Honored Contributor

For years and years, I don't order salads.

Found 'this and that' in my salads way too many times.

I only order sizzling hot food items; not lukewarm or 'cold'.

Just the way I am.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

p.s.  Also won't eat turkey at certain people's houses.

Too many times, someone brings in partially cooked turkey, finishing cooking time in the host's oven. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Aha... The Salinas "growing region" seems wider to me than just Salinas. Also, I'm not trusting the Wendy's staff to check each bag before using it to see where it is from or determine there is no location given.
The salads are probably fine, but I'm not getting them again.