Trusted Contributor

Re: Welp, Here We Go Again. Power Outage Round 2

@stevieb

Actually, disasters happen "like clockwork" in several areas of the United States. Our Southern states are subjected to Hurricane Season every year; there's Tornado Season in the Midwest and Plains; and New England and New York are now subject to regular and devastating "Cyclone Bombs" and "SnowMaggedons" at the beginning of every winter.
The mistake we are making here is the misunderstanding that extreme temperatures only affect certain areas of the country. In fact, the Northeast had their driest spring ever, while a huge snowstorm hit Colorado this year THREE months earlier than normal.
Beyond the tragedy of loss of life and property, the economic impact of severe temperatures is enormous. Fruit, wine, corn, beef, vegetables, cut flowers and domestically-grown wheat are all particularly impacted by weather and climate. They will become increasingly expensive for all Americans if we continue to see "crazy" weather patterns, extreme and unexpected droughts, out-of-season snowstorms and unprecedented wind and rain.
Honored Contributor

@MarnieRez3 wrote:
@stevieb

Actually, disasters happen "like clockwork" in several areas of the United States. Our Southern states are subjected to Hurricane Season every year; there's Tornado Season in the Midwest and Plains; and New England and New York are now subject to regular and devastating "Cyclone Bombs" and "SnowMaggedons" at the beginning of every winter.
The mistake we are making here is the misunderstanding that extreme temperatures only affect certain areas of the country. In fact, the Northeast had their driest spring ever, while a huge snowstorm hit Colorado this year THREE months earlier than normal.
Beyond the tragedy of loss of life and property, the economic impact of severe temperatures is enormous. Fruit, wine, corn, beef, vegetables, cut flowers and domestically-grown wheat are all particularly impacted by weather and climate. They will become increasingly expensive for all Americans if we continue to see "crazy" weather patterns, extreme and unexpected droughts, out-of-season snowstorms and unprecedented wind and rain.

@MarnieRez3, excellent summary. The only thing that I would change is the word I bolded. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@MarnieRez3  I don't disagree with what you're saying, and I am not among the 'pick on California' ilk.There are several areas of the country I would avoid due to climactic conditions or greater potential for calamity.  I simply feel my personal choice would not be to elect to llive where semi-annual widespread wildfires and what appear to be repeated and routine power shut-downs of several days have become somewhat normative. To be sure, many areas of our country have their crosses to bear and it becomes a personal choice which, among those crosses, is the least and the most concerning, based on routine occurance, predicability, greatest magnitude, and impact. Wishing everyone well.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

@stevieb

Well-said! And well-written...💜

@suzyQ3

Oh my...you are RIGHT. How scary that sentence becomes when I change that word "IF."

Good call there, my Californian sister! ♥️

Trusted Contributor

@stevieb

I love your post because my family and I routinely say that we live on a major fault line and yet We Still Stay Here...in fact, we all returned to California after living on the East Coast for many years! Have we lost our minds??!

You wrote, "The fact is that we and our property are never not at some level of risk, but it's a matter of whether or not one is able to mitigate known and predictable risks based on where they live..."

My family SHOULD mitigate the "known and predictable risks" of living over the Hayward fault line, but we don't. It is the ultimate DENIAL and it's something I wrestle with all the time. I wonder...do people living near Tornado Alley also wrestle with their choice? Earthquakes and tornadoes are arguably the least-predictable calamity humans face...why is ANYONE living in California?? I stop and ask myself this a lot, believe me.

@gardenman

My third cousin Marion lives in Freehold, NJ. Do you know her?? 😄💜😅