Honored Contributor

Re: Welp, Here We Go Again. Power Outage Round 2

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Tyak wrote:

OP, if you don't mind it, excuse the pun but, more power to you.  Personally, I'm very thankful that I'm not a Californian.

You know, it just occurred to me when such disasters hit any other state, I rarely if iver see anyone post that they are thankful for not being a [Texan, Floridian etc.].

Perahps because they don't seem to happen like clockwork in most other locations... I've always enjoyed my visits to various California destinations, but I also wouldn't choose to live there, as beautiful as some locales are and as wonderful as the climate might be in some parts of the state... As far as it goes, I wouldn't choose to live in Florida either... One might also note that while PG&E is taking preemptive action what have they done or are they doing to be proactive... Routine power shut downs surely are not a long-term solution...

ETA... No offense intended toward anyone. There are various reasons we all live where we live. Sometimes it's a choice and sometimes it's not... Given the choice, however, I'd try to avoid areas known to be routinely prone to problems...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Tyak wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Tyak wrote:

OP, if you don't mind it, excuse the pun but, more power to you.  Personally, I'm very thankful that I'm not a Californian.

You know, it just occurred to me when such disasters hit any other state, I rarely if iver see anyone post that they are thankful for not being a [Texan, Floridian etc.].

@suzyQ3 

I’ve seen posters knock Texas and Florida, especially Florida, any number of times on these boards and say how happy they are they don’t live there. I always wonder why it doesn’t bother them to insult any readers who do live in those states. 

Are you serious???Because someone says they're happy they don't live in a certain state, be it Texas, Florida or California or anywhere else, that's insulting to you?  I live in the desert SW.  I know many people who wouldn't live here for any amount of money but it would never enter my mind to feel insulted by the fact that others may have a different opinion!

@Tyak, although it's unclear, I'll assume that you are talking to me here.

Not that I owe anyone a reason, but the anti-California postings on these boards transcend weather phenomenon.

My post was not to you, suzyq3.

Honored Contributor

I did a bit of research and I'm coming across the top 3 states for natural disasters are consistent in every list.

#1-Texas (also increasing in # of disasters in recent years)

#2-California.

#3-Oklahoma

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I guess you could say you'd rather not live someplace that's populated and wooded, yet tends to be very dry and prone at times to heavy winds.  No need to slam the state of California.

Honored Contributor

I think CA is in the news so much with wildfires lately that it is normal to say one would not like to live there.

I wouldn't and I'm not slamming CA; been there and saw many wonderful things.

It's only natural to see the fires burning and homes destroyed and think "I couldn't live there". 

People take it on a personal level as an insult to them instead of realizing that right now CA is having a hard time.  Seriously- nobody is going to look at those fires and then think about another part of the state.

Of course CA is filled with great places; but the focus right now is on the fires.

It isn't meant as an insult to the people; it's a reaction to the disaster.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3

Born and raised native Californian here. I've heard the put-downs all my life..."land of fruits and nuts," "Hollywood liberals," "self-centered people," "New Age wackos," and on-and-on.
Funny thing is, I don't fit into any of those categories nor does anyone I know!
When Q vendors refer to their clothes and merchandise as being "a celebrity favorite," or embodying "comfy, cozy California chic," it's a marketing ploy, and not reality. Less than .007 percent of the entire state works in Hollywood and AGRICULTURE is our biggest industry.
Like the rest of the world, we are being severely affected by the absolute reality of extreme temperatures. The loss of lives and property has been devastating.
We are just like our neighbors in Houston who have had three separate deadly floods and our neighbors in Florida and the Carolinas who are suffering through increasingly dangerous and more frequent hurricanes. United is the ONLY way we are going to get through this.
Yes, we are large and highly-taxed, yes we do have progressive policies in certain parts of the state, but the vast majority of Californians are just like all Americans...hard-working, optimistic, generous and praying for our children and loved ones in these increasingly challenging times.
Honored Contributor

@MarnieRez3 wrote:
@suzyQ3

Born and raised native Californian here. I've heard the put-downs all my life..."land of fruits and nuts," "Hollywood liberals," "self-centered people," "New Age wackos," and on-and-on.
Funny thing is, I don't fit into any of those categories nor does anyone I know!
When Q vendors refer to their clothes and merchandise as being "a celebrity favorite," or embodying "comfy, cozy California chic," it's a marketing ploy, and not reality. Less than .007 percent of the entire state works in Hollywood and AGRICULTURE is our biggest industry.
Like the rest of the world, we are being severely affected by the absolute reality of extreme temperatures. The loss of lives and property has been devastating.
We are just like our neighbors in Houston who have had three separate deadly floods and our neighbors in Florida and the Carolinas who are suffering through increasingly dangerous and more frequent hurricanes. United is the ONLY way we are going to get through this.
Yes, we are large and highly-taxed, yes we do have progressive policies in certain parts of the state, but the vast majority of Californians are just like all Americans...hard-working, optimistic, generous and praying for our children and loved ones in these increasingly challenging times.

@MarnieRez3, nicely put. The stereotyping, as always, have no nuance. It's sloppy thinking.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3

It is indeed. ♥️

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

I did a bit of research and I'm coming across the top 3 states for natural disasters are consistent in every list.

#1-Texas (also increasing in # of disasters in recent years)

#2-California.

#3-Oklahoma

Seems to make sense considering that #1 and #2 are the 2nd and 3rd largest states in the US. @gardenman made an interesting post not too long ago where he mentioned how many states California would cover if it were on the east coast. I couldn't remember exactly what he said so I looked it up online and the 840 miles from CA's coastline, north to south, would encompass the area from Portland Maine to Raleigh North Carolina which the article said includes traveling through ten states. That's a lot of area. And Texas is even bigger! Oklahoma is the 20th largest state and Alaska is the largest (as I'm sure most people know), but it seemed to fit in with the topic at hand. 

I vaguely seem to remember Gardenman may have given the example of the area being from Florida to Maryland. I should have looked up his post but I didn't.

So, with that in mind, I looked up the states from NC to Maine and counted how many natural disasters they had in total compared to CA.

Now, no one has ever accused me of being a genius, but I counted (I think) 13 states and am not sure which ten the article included. I thought it would be fair to deduct the three states with the highest numbers. 

This is what I came up with. States and # of natural disasters:

Maine  55

New Hampshire 46

Vermont 43

Massachusetts 47

Rhode Island 22

Connecticut 30

New York 93

Pennsylvania 59

New Jersey 50

Delaware 21

Maryland 32

Virginia 64

North Carolina 58

I deducted New York, Pennsylvania, and North Carolina and came up with a total of 410. California's number is 250, so if I'm doing the math even  slightly correctly that's (approximately) about 39% less than the states that encompass the same area as CA. 

No, this isn't meant to be a scientific study, lol. i just thought it was something interesting to think about. 

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 

People forget how big California is and how many states it would be on the East coast. I used the Florida to Maryland example so it would include the hurricane prone regions. If you took the area from the Florida Keys to Maryland and made it into a single state, there would be nearly endless natural disasters in that state. People living elsewhere would wonder why anyone would live in that state. You have to remember the vastness of the state when you hear of problems in the big states.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!