Respected Contributor

Re: Welp, Here We Go Again. Power Outage Round 2

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Tyak wrote:

OP, if you don't mind it, excuse the pun but, more power to you.  Personally, I'm very thankful that I'm not a Californian.

You know, it just occurred to me when such disasters hit any other state, I rarely if iver see anyone post that they are thankful for not being a [Texan, Floridian etc.].

Perhaps, in areas prone to these winds, the power company could take other measures than these.  Maybe cutting back brush and thinning out the trees would be an alternative they could try.  Of course, it would bring out the tree huggers and environmental wacko's but residents wouldn't have to think they live in a third world country every time the wind blows.  If I paid their taxes and had to put up with the high price of everything, I'd be looking for a way out rather than looking forward to my lights going out.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819  I hope it comes back on for soon for you!  You have a wonderful outlook on the situation....I am ashamed to admit, I would not handle it well like you and I would pout and complain...make my husband miserable🤐

Honored Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Tyak wrote:

OP, if you don't mind it, excuse the pun but, more power to you.  Personally, I'm very thankful that I'm not a Californian.

You know, it just occurred to me when such disasters hit any other state, I rarely if iver see anyone post that they are thankful for not being a [Texan, Floridian etc.].

Perhaps, in areas prone to these winds, the power company could take other measures than these.  Maybe cutting back brush and thinning out the trees would be an alternative they could try.  Of course, it would bring out the tree huggers and environmental wacko's but residents wouldn't have to think they live in a third world country every time the wind blows.  If I paid their taxes and had to put up with the high price of everything, I'd be looking for a way out rather than looking forward to my lights going out.

You're skating into a political discussion that bears no relevance to my comment. Suffice to say that your suggestions are not what others, many experts in the field, believe is best. I'll say no more for the sake of this thread, other than to wish my fellow Californians the best of luck and safety.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Tyak wrote:

@suzyQ3 

I’ve seen posters knock Texas and Florida, especially Florida, any number of times on these boards and say how happy they are they don’t live there. I always wonder why it doesn’t bother them to insult any readers who do live in those states. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Tyak wrote:

@suzyQ3  I've noticed that too.  Personally, I would never slam some else's state, aren't we SUPPOSED to be the UNITED States?  Sad that people let imaginary boundary lines influence their perception of a state and its residents.

Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags, I don't doubt you,  even if I personally have not seen such post. I sdo see posts bashing California on a regular basis.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Shades of Enron, Part Deux?

I live rural in Northern MI. Here the power is sketchy in any storm so most of us Prep as a lifestyle.

I have 2 large 90qt Marine style coolers. Marine coolers have a lid that seals tight against critters. Put them in place, porch or patio then fill. Stuff stays cold for 5 days, easy with ice.

Consider getting a small portable generator. Enough to plug in a lamp, or tablet/phone or hot plate.  Keep your gas tank full. What types of pkugs do you have in your vehicle, if any? Like USB, etc?

Store some water. Get a pantry together to sustain yourself. This may not be over anytime soon out there and I wouldn't want to venture out to a store.

@Snowpuppy 

I rent, so I don't know how my landlord would feel about me hooking up and firing up a generator.

I have running water when the power is off, I just don't have hot water.

When I was a child, for about five years, my parents and I had well water, which when the power was out, ment NO water, and we couldn't even flush the toilet.

I have plenty of food. I don't eat that much to begin with.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@Caligurll wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Tyak wrote:

@suzyQ3  I've noticed that too.  Personally, I would never slam some else's state, aren't we SUPPOSED to be the UNITED States?  Sad that people let imaginary boundary lines influence their perception of a state and its residents.

@Caligurll   You took the words right out of my mouth.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819   We are still awaiting our second power outage in 2 weeks - not being told exact time but evidently commencing  Sat through Monday.

Still got lots bottled water - no hot water though - candles etc,, so we will do o.k. same as last time though we lost all our seafood in freezer which we had just filled from Costco!

I can knit too by candlelight and read.

Planning on watching at 1 a.m. tonight/Sat a.m. England v N.Zealand in World Cup Rugby semi final in Tokyo - do have video set but cannot take chance of no electric to watch recording  - got my priorities right lol!

Honored Contributor

Some areas of my county may get their power cut off this weekend. At the moment, my town isn't on the list.  

It has been so hot and dry!  Praying for some relief.