Esteemed Contributor

Welp, Here We Go Again. Power Outage Round 2

[ Edited ]

Today my county in northern California found out that we will be without electricity due to high winds in the forecast.

The notification said, 

"

"P G & E ADVISES THAT ALL CUSTOMERS IN ********* County will lose power early afternoon, Saturday, October 26, 2019, due to a Public Safety Power Shutoff. Extreme fire weather conditions affecting portions of ******** County and surrounding counties will cause dangerous conditions for power transmission lines. Please prepare for an outage up to 4 days. 9 1 1 should only be used for life threatening emergencies. The Sheriff’s Office will issue more information when P G & E provides outage or restoration time estimates. Please check on family and neighbors with medical needs. You can get further information at PGE.com. You can also call 211 for information. We will also send out ******** Alerts with updated information."

*Sigh*

I went to the store today and one stocker said that people were acting like they were preparing for a hurricane.

I jokingly said, "It's Armageddon!"

I have non perishable foods (canned foods, crackers, bread, peanut butter and jelly,etc) as well as fruits and veggies.

I have the temperature set on my fridge and freezer set to "Coldest".

The last time that we went through this, they said that power was going to be out for up to three days, but I was without power for only 22 hours, so hopefully, I won't be without electricity for four days.

If worse comes to worse, I can take my frozen stuff to work, and put it in the freezer there, because there is a backup generator that runs the building.

Oh, I also got some activity books, and a romance novel to pass the time.

I'm not mad or upset that I'll be without electricity.

I mean, it is what it is, and the lights will eventually come back on.

When I was a child, my parents and I live in a rural community, where we were on well water, and when the power went off, which it often did, we couldn't even flush the toilet.

So, I'm kinda use to "roughing it".

I don't see this outage as being the "end of the world".

If anything, it's going to cause people to find other ways to pass the time besides being on a computer device, and to *gasp* actually talk face-to-face to each other!

So, to me, that's a positive.

Hey, maybe board games and card games will make a come back!

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Re: Welp, Here We Go Again. Power Outage Round 2

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

If anything, it's going to cause people to find other ways to pass the time besides being on a computer device, and to *gasp* actually talk face-to-face to each other!

So, to me, that's a positive.

@Anonymous032819   Or a baby boom in 9 months. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

The labor and delivery rooms will be busy nine months from now😜

Honored Contributor

LOL, @Cakers3.  We had the same thought but you must type faster🙂

Esteemed Contributor

Last Sunday, my friend Pat gave me a bottle of eggnog with liquer from Costco. She didn't realize what a great gift that was. A couple of days ago, I needed to add a payee to my on-line checking a/c with a major bank. They overhauled this application - and made it so confusing - to me - since I'm computer challenged. I then called their 800 number and the female with a thick accent (sounded like she was Norwegian) tried explaining how I could add a payee --- it wasn't working - so she kept repeating and repeating - until I hung up on her. So I had some eggnog - which totally relaxes me.

Then, yesterday, having the wildfires too close for comfort -- and the skies blackened with smoke, I drank some eggnog and took my little lhasa apso for a walk.

I then emailed my friend and said: WDWD Walking Dog While Drunk.

Thanks for the eggnog.

Honored Contributor

My brother lives near LI Sound and lost his power for 7 days after hurricane Sandy

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

OP, if you don't mind it, excuse the pun but, more power to you.  Personally, I'm very thankful that I'm not a Californian.

Esteemed Contributor

Hopefully, your inconvenience will be minor. it is a good thing the utility companies are adopting policies that will hopefully help prevent devastating fires, caused by a lack of preemptive action.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

OP, if you don't mind it, excuse the pun but, more power to you.  Personally, I'm very thankful that I'm not a Californian.

You know, it just occurred to me when such disasters hit any other state, I rarely if iver see anyone post that they are thankful for not being a [Texan, Floridian etc.].

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Shades of Enron, Part Deux?

I live rural in Northern MI. Here the power is sketchy in any storm so most of us Prep as a lifestyle.

I have 2 large 90qt Marine style coolers. Marine coolers have a lid that seals tight against critters. Put them in place, porch or patio then fill. Stuff stays cold for 5 days, easy with ice.

Consider getting a small portable generator. Enough to plug in a lamp, or tablet/phone or hot plate.  Keep your gas tank full. What types of pkugs do you have in your vehicle, if any? Like USB, etc?

Store some water. Get a pantry together to sustain yourself. This may not be over anytime soon out there and I wouldn't want to venture out to a store.