Respected Contributor

Re: Wellsfargo Recently Made This Announcement - What do You think About This?

@Spurt wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@mstyrion 1  And people with kids need to be equally as considerate to those of us that don't have children.....After all the time others have covered them while were out on maternity leave, dr appointments, kid sick days etc.......shouldn't those that were at  doing their job in addition to their own work be allowed one lousy holiday week off!!!!---It's a TWO WAY STREET!!!  And I don't see a lot consideration for co-workers without children.  I'm glad my employer is generous and includes time off for people with health issues or caring for aging parents and not just employees with kids---but it seems the adults with children, need an attitude adjustment and to play fairly in the work "sand box"......  they want it all--a generous maternity leave, and then ALL the holidays off too......oh they'll leave Ground Hogs Day (the only holiday the employees with children don't want off)...

@Spurt

It sounds like you need to look for a different employer.

I worked 40 years in a business environment. Holiday weeks were administered fairly among employees children or not.  No one was allowed to take every holiday week. People with children may "want" every holiday week, but that didn't mean they got it. 

I don't know what kind of "consideration" people with kids are supposed to give you. Vacation time was allotted based on time with the company. You didn't get more because you had kids. If you took a vacation day for child issues, it was a vacation day. When I took one it was for ME--and people had to cover for me.

I think you were lucky.  I worked where leave was supposed to be based on seniority too - and yet - there was always pressure to allow those with kids - usually mothers - to take time when the kids were out of school.  And yes, moms got to leave early to pick up their kids - and forget about working overtime or during Christmas break etc.

And then when some of these moms didn't get promoted - oh that was discrimination in their minds.  Right.

@Isobel Archer  EXACTLY Isobel---you nailed it!!! Smiley

No. She didn't.

The two of you seem to work in an environment that struggles with simple administrative duties concerning paid time off.  That is not the case with most large businesses.

Perhaps you perceive that "pressure" from the parents based on your inherent disatisfaction with those who have children.  

I suspect that if you are very vocal in the workplace concerning other people's time off, you are labled as a non team player and treated as such.

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

So who do you think is going to pay for all of this?  Not just people who have Wellsfargo accounts.  It all dribbles down........

Not only do those who can't or don't or whatever reason, have children not get this kind of leave, but they also have to end up paying in one way or another for those who do get the leave.

Nothing in life is free. 

Esteemed Contributor

You're right, all of the childless are ENTITLED to get a plethora of time off too, just because, you know, well, they don't have kids!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

So who do you think is going to pay for all of this?  Not just people who have Wellsfargo accounts.  It all dribbles down........

Not only do those who can't or don't or whatever reason, have children not get this kind of leave, but they also have to end up paying in one way or another for those who do get the leave.

Nothing in life is free. 

In states that allow this and in countries that do as well, it's a small payment added to Social Security or payroll taxes...just like disability insurance. It's not paid for by the employer.

When I say "small", I mean small. It adds something like 50 cents per paycheck.

This is good for moms, kids and families. Everyone else does this - it's embarassing that we don't.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

I think it's great and believe all companies should have paid leave. The United States is the ONLY developed nation without paid maternity leave and have chosen to make this a business decision instead of a law.

I'm a single woman with no kids and have no problems with this. We are, as a nation, way behind on this issue. Let's address this first and then maybe once we do, it will be easier for others to get leave for other reasons.

Some jobs still don't even provide basic paid sick days.

ITA.

My son is in this 30s and I have no need for this anymore - but it's good for all involved. I have trouble understanding how anyone could disagree with this.

As baby boomers retire, there will be fewer people in the workplace and employers will have to compete for employees. Then things will shift more in favor of labor again...a GOOD thing, IMO.

Respected Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

@terrier3 wrote:

I don't see the controversy.

We are one of the few countries that doesn't offer universal PAID time off to moms and dads.

I don't understand why we don't.

Dont think this statement is accurate.  

It was accurate. Try looking it up.

I did look it up before i made the comment.  And i stand with what i said.  It is a very complex subject, but we do not stand alone among the few in the world.  There is a very detailed table by country in Wiki under Parental Leave.  We are not one of the few countries that do not fund parental leave for both mom and dad.  And the time that is paid and how much is paid for those that do pay for some length of leave varies widely from 100% of salary to a sliding scale to a flat rate.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shawnie wrote:

@terrier3 wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

@terrier3 wrote:

I don't see the controversy.

We are one of the few countries that doesn't offer universal PAID time off to moms and dads.

I don't understand why we don't.

Dont think this statement is accurate.  

It was accurate. Try looking it up.

I did look it up before i made the comment.  And i stand with what i said.  It is a very complex subject, but we do not stand alone among the few in the world.  There is a very detailed table by country in Wiki under Parental Leave.  We are not one of the few countries that do not fund parental leave for both mom and dad.  And the time that is paid and how much is paid for those that do pay for some length of leave varies widely from 100% of salary to a sliding scale to a flat rate.  

We both looked at the same chart. Can't you CLEARLY see how the USA was at the BOTTOM re: paid leave? It's also listed as PARENTAL leave (you used the word youself) - not just for moms. In Canada it can be divided up and both spouses can use the leave.

We have NO paid leave on a national basis. Nada. Zip. None.

Some enlightened states are enacting their own forms of leave..but it should be universal, IMO.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I feel sorry for the small to medium size business which has to try to stay competitive while handing out all these benefit and super-generous minimum wage.  It seems as though the purpose of business and commerce is becoming to be a social service agency.  A lot of benefits are nice to have but are they necessary?

Amen, Kachina.  I even feel it for the large companies.  I am sick of hearing about how they have money, they don't pay their fair share of taxes, etc.  When was the last time a poor man gave anyone a job??

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I feel sorry for the small to medium size business which has to try to stay competitive while handing out all these benefit and super-generous minimum wage.  It seems as though the purpose of business and commerce is becoming to be a social service agency.  A lot of benefits are nice to have but are they necessary?

Amen, Kachina.  I even feel it for the large companies.  I am sick of hearing about how they have money, they don't pay their fair share of taxes, etc.  When was the last time a poor man gave anyone a job??

In most countries, the benefit is paid by the EMPLOYEE through a payroll deduction, like social security...NOT paid by the employer.

I can't believe that people in the USA put corporate interests above families. Germany is considered a model of a hard working, productive country...but just check out their benefits...they do quite well in spite (or maybe "Because of" )the way that they care for their people. Free college - up to and including medical/graduate school - parental leave - universal healthcare - long vacations, etc...none of their benefits affects their success.

QVC Customer Care