Honored Contributor

Re: Wellsfargo Recently Made This Announcement - What do You think About This?

I gave birth to four beautiful babies in my twenties.

I never thought of it as "popping out a kid."

I understand the argument that other family matters should also get time off, but using the phrase "popping out a kid" is disturbing, as the only benefit I ever got was the joy of my children.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

@MyShadowLove wrote:

Hi Everyone!

Did everyone read the same article as I did?...I just skimmed through it, but they are now offering "paid leave for parental caregivers", so I don't understand some of the replies.

My husband and I have been the sole caregivers for his parents for the past approximately 7 years...When this situation first arose, due to my FIL becoming very ill, I was able to work out flexible part-time hours (25-30  hours/per week) which means I can work out my own hours, as long as I put in the required time...I was fortunate in that my employer was very understanding of my situation...However, I never received paid leave.

So, from my understanding, Wells Fargo is now offering up to 16 weeks paid leave for parental caregivers, so that is a start at least.

I do strongly feel that there should be more support for primary caregivers of elderly parents, as it definitely affects the financial stability of most couples...My husband and I are fortunate in that his parents have been comfortable financially...not rich by any means...but enough money where we have been able to also have a Caregiver Service help us out throughout the past several years.

It has definitely become a challenge for the "baby boomer" generation!

So, I'm not sure what I'm missing here in reading the article, as it sounds to me as though they have expanded their paid leave policy to "parental caregiver paid leave" and it's great to see that employers are becoming more inclusive in various situations regarding "paid leave".

Read all the way to the bottom of the article.  They are only providing 5 days of critical care giver time off.  But this parental leave is way over the top. Can you imagine the race to work there???  I would like to know how often these 4 months of maternity leave can be used?  Can you have a kid every year and be off and paid four months each time??  Ridiculous.  So those of us that dont have babies have to pick up the slack, and of course these women will want to get promoted at the same rate as those that were there the entire year.  

@Shawnie  You know whats funny and a bit ironic---I know quite a few people that USED TO have Wells Fargo as their bank, but the customer service was so lousy in terms of finalizing home loans, refinancing their homes, car loans etc, and general banking that they left them and found another bank---so what is going to happen to Customer Service when all these people are out on this OVERLY generous maternity leave program....LOL!!!  I wonder if in the long run it will hurt their business....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

The company I worked for didn't seem to care how many kids you popped out. There was one woman who had 6 (yup 6) kids in about 7 years. She was always pregnant and getting time off for doctor appointments, or a sick kid or on maternity leave. Toss in a couple of c-sections and that gives her a few more weeks. The last department I worked in a young girl was hired pregnant but they didn't know it yet, went on multiple doctor appointments, popped out her kid and was pregnant 4 months later and the cycle started all over again. She basically came back to work and got pregnant again. The second time she took her 8 weeks off and on the day she was to come back she called in and quit. She worked there 20 months and had 4 months maternity leave, 20 days sick time, 6 weeks vacation, untold amounts of time off with pay for doctor appointments. She always made them early afternoon so she could leave after lunch and naturally the doctor was an hour away so by the time she saw him it would be to late to return to work. For being only 18 this chick could certainly play the game to maximize payout. Yet if one of us needed to take care of our parents we had to take vacation time, unpaid FLMA or quit. Talk about unfair treatment.

@Meowingkitty  Oh but this 18 year old didn't take advantage of all of "the game" you see she should've then claimed back problems or carpal tunnel and then gone right on to Workmen's Comp....a whole another ball game........we had someone that played the pregnancy game then WC game....oh what "fun"....talk about milking the system....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

@MyShadowLove wrote:

Hi Everyone!

Did everyone read the same article as I did?...I just skimmed through it, but they are now offering "paid leave for parental caregivers", so I don't understand some of the replies.

My husband and I have been the sole caregivers for his parents for the past approximately 7 years...When this situation first arose, due to my FIL becoming very ill, I was able to work out flexible part-time hours (25-30  hours/per week) which means I can work out my own hours, as long as I put in the required time...I was fortunate in that my employer was very understanding of my situation...However, I never received paid leave.

So, from my understanding, Wells Fargo is now offering up to 16 weeks paid leave for parental caregivers, so that is a start at least.

I do strongly feel that there should be more support for primary caregivers of elderly parents, as it definitely affects the financial stability of most couples...My husband and I are fortunate in that his parents have been comfortable financially...not rich by any means...but enough money where we have been able to also have a Caregiver Service help us out throughout the past several years.

So, I'm not sure what I'm missing here in reading the article, as it sounds to me as though they have expanded their paid leave policy to "parental caregiver paid leave" and it's great to see that employers are becoming more inclusive in various situations regarding "paid leave".

Read all the way to the bottom of the article.  They are only providing 5 days of critical care giver time off.  But this parental leave is way over the top. Can you imagine the race to work there???  I would like to know how often these 4 months of maternity leave can be used?  Can you have a kid every year and be off and paid four months each time??  Ridiculous.  So those of us that dont have babies have to pick up the slack, and of course these women will want to get promoted at the same rate as those that were there the entire year.  

@Shawnie  You know whats funny and a bit ironic---I know quite a few people that USED TO have Wells Fargo as their bank, but the customer service was so lousy in terms of finalizing home loans, refinancing their homes, car loans etc, and general banking that they left them and found another bank---so what is going to happen to Customer Service when all these people are out on this OVERLY generous maternity leave program....LOL!!!  I wonder if in the long run it will hurt their business....

Maybe this is the reason they are offering generdous employee benefits.  Study after study shows that employees who are happy and feel valued work harder to make the customer happy and feel valued. With terrific benefits, companies can pick and chose from top talent as well.

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Meowingkitty wrote:

The company I worked for didn't seem to care how many kids you popped out. There was one woman who had 6 (yup 6) kids in about 7 years. She was always pregnant and getting time off for doctor appointments, or a sick kid or on maternity leave. Toss in a couple of c-sections and that gives her a few more weeks. The last department I worked in a young girl was hired pregnant but they didn't know it yet, went on multiple doctor appointments, popped out her kid and was pregnant 4 months later and the cycle started all over again. She basically came back to work and got pregnant again. The second time she took her 8 weeks off and on the day she was to come back she called in and quit. She worked there 20 months and had 4 months maternity leave, 20 days sick time, 6 weeks vacation, untold amounts of time off with pay for doctor appointments. She always made them early afternoon so she could leave after lunch and naturally the doctor was an hour away so by the time she saw him it would be to late to return to work. For being only 18 this chick could certainly play the game to maximize payout. Yet if one of us needed to take care of our parents we had to take vacation time, unpaid FLMA or quit. Talk about unfair treatment.

@Meowingkitty  Oh but this 18 year old didn't take advantage of all of "the game" you see she should've then claimed back problems or carpal tunnel and then gone right on to Workmen's Comp....a whole another ball game........we had someone that played the pregnancy game then WC game....oh what "fun"....talk about milking the system....

Lol oh yes the back problems and carpal tunnel game. Seen that at every job I've had. I've had (and still have the back) both and manage to still work. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Maudelynn wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

@MyShadowLove wrote:

Hi Everyone!

Maybe this is the reason they are offering generdous employee benefits.  Study after study shows that employees who are happy and feel valued work harder to make the customer happy and feel valued. With terrific benefits, companies can pick and chose from top talent as well.

@Maudelynn  If they can't answer their phones now and complete transactions now, how they going to do this when all these people are out on leave??????  The few boomers they have left will get fed up and retire because they will be worn out!!!  I'm talking about AVAILABILITY for their CUSTOMERS that are the ones that keep them in business....the employess may feel "happy and valued" but they aren't there to take care of customers who feel "UNhappy and DEvalued" because LESS employess to offer SERVICE!

And to prove my point--- 209 left reviews and Wells Fargo got 1.4 stars .....

Respected Contributor

@Maudelynn wrote:

@chessylady wrote:

I'm not sure why people are being critical of a company giving employees perks to help their families. I applaud any company that goes beyond the bare minimum. Where are all the people who preach about family values and focus on the family?

AMEN!  My first thoughts on some of these posts.

If you aren't happy with the benefits you're receiving from your employer, find something else.

Kudos to Wells Fargo.  They understand to attract the best and brightest, it makes sense to sweeten the pot.

ETA: Those employees who would moan and groan, keep track of other's time off, dr appointments, etc. are NOT the kind of employees these innovative companies want to attract.  The new generation of employees understand that "it takes a village" to be successful.

Amen to both of you.

I'm a little shocked at some of the mean spirited posts I see here. "Popping out" kids. questioning the size of families. The apparent nosiness concerning co-workers time off.  Family values indeed.  

I chose not to have children and I covered for those on maternity leave often.  My pay off?  I didn't have to take care of a kid for 18 years or more Woman LOL  They did.  A six or eight week maternity leave isn't the end of child care responsibility. 

~Enough is enough~
Esteemed Contributor

I think it's sad that there are those who seem to think that a woman should go back to work just hours after giving birth.

Respected Contributor

i would rather see a paid maternity leave for 16 weeks than short-term disability for 6 weeks and then the mother has no choice but return to work and the baby goes straight into daycare at 7 weeks old . two babies recently died in day care, one was there for one day and the mother was back at work. and she went to pick her baby and the baby was not breathing.  day care workers don't earn much . child care is very low paid.  the only person who can really bond with the baby is the mother (maybe the father but the ones i know not so much)

wonder what sort of companies these alleged kid poppers work at. retail?

Honored Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@Maudelynn wrote:

@chessylady wrote:

I'm not sure why people are being critical of a company giving employees perks to help their families. I applaud any company that goes beyond the bare minimum. Where are all the people who preach about family values and focus on the family?

AMEN!  My first thoughts on some of these posts.

If you aren't happy with the benefits you're receiving from your employer, find something else.

Kudos to Wells Fargo.  They understand to attract the best and brightest, it makes sense to sweeten the pot.

ETA: Those employees who would moan and groan, keep track of other's time off, dr appointments, etc. are NOT the kind of employees these innovative companies want to attract.  The new generation of employees understand that "it takes a village" to be successful.

Amen to both of you.

I'm a little shocked at some of the mean spirited posts I see here. "Popping out" kids. questioning the size of families. The apparent nosiness concerning co-workers time off.  Family values indeed.  

I chose not to have children and I covered for those on maternity leave often.  My pay off?  I didn't have to take care of a kid for 18 years or more Woman LOL  They did.  A six or eight week maternity leave isn't the end of child care responsibility. 

@mstyrion 1  And people with kids need to be equally as considerate to those of us that don't have children.....After all the time others have covered them while were out on maternity leave, dr appointments, kid sick days etc.......shouldn't those that were at  doing their job in addition to their own work be allowed one lousy holiday week off!!!!---It's a TWO WAY STREET!!!  And I don't see a lot consideration for co-workers without children.  I'm glad my employer is generous and includes time off for people with health issues or caring for aging parents and not just employees with kids---but it seems the adults with children, need an attitude adjustment and to play fairly in the work "sand box"......  they want it all--a generous maternity leave, and then ALL the holidays off too......oh they'll leave Ground Hogs Day (the only holiday the employees with children don't want off)...