Valued Contributor

Re: Wellsfargo Recently Made This Announcement - What do You think About This?

I've been in the professional work force for over 35 years and I've never worked anywhere where people with kids got more vacation/personal time just because they had kids.

Everywhere I've worked people start out the year with X number of personal/vacation/sick days and they are used the way the employee needed to use them.  I'm not sure where some of these posters work that those with children get extra paid time off just because they have children.

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

You're right, all of the childless are ENTITLED to get a plethora of time off too, just because, you know, well, they don't have kids!

@Plaid Pants2  And why shouldn't people without kids have an EQUAL SHARE of company benefits including time off!!.......Oh I get it it's the "busy mom" syndrome, yep the childless don't have real lives....only activities like taking kids to their ballet lessons, music lessons,soccer/football/baseball practice, play dates etc count for anything....... Helping at a food bank, bringing meals to the elderly, visiting folks in hospitals, raising money for charity, or volunteering in the community---NOPE that doesn't count unless kids are involved.......

P.S. And every time I hear a QVC host use the term "busy mom" as a sales spiel I can't turn the channel fast enough....

You're right. How dare they procreate! 

It's the 'ol "They don't deserve it, but *I* do! They're not entitled to anything, but *I* am entitled to it!"  thing.

It sock that life isn't fair, but as my late mama would say, "Who said that life was supposed to be fair?".

Wise woman.

Respected Contributor

@Maudelynn wrote:

I've been in the professional work force for over 35 years and I've never worked anywhere where people with kids got more vacation/personal time just because they had kids.

Everywhere I've worked people start out the year with X number of personal/vacation/sick days and they are used the way the employee needed to use them.  I'm not sure where some of these posters work that those with children get extra paid time off just because they have children.

I completely agree @Maudelynn.

Vacation time is vacation time.  No one should be questioning how someone chooses to take their days or hours.  I also stated this point some time ago on the thread and my post "disappeared".  

I've never, ever seen people with kids get more vacation time just  because they have kids.  No matter how many times it gets hollered about on this thread, I just don't believe it is happening.  It may seem like they have more time if they take it one day at a time instead of taking a week at a time, but you will never convince me they are granted more days.

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

um so your information is only half accurate. Not EVERYONE gets to go to college- only a select few and then yes, it is paid. Everyone else gets put into a trade of some kind. I don't know, I prefer the FREEDOM to choose if I want to go to college or not and not the government telling me if I don't pass a certain test I don't get to go.  They also live differently than we do- most do not live/own houses but apartments or townhomes. So they give up some perks to get all their "free" stuff. Owning a home is a serious luxury there and not many can afford it, much much less than here in the US. Even driving and owning a car is a luxury there- it is very expensive to get a driver's license and own a car and gas. I am sure many here would not be happy if owning a car and driving became a luxury here with a much smaller percentage being able to afford it so we can help pay for all the free perks.

But ah yes, we always see other countries through rose colored glasses.

um...so I have spent time in Germany and my father was German. Students with the ability to handle college level classes get free tuition...up to and including advanced degrees like medical school if they have the ability and the work ethic.

Students not on the track of the gymansium level students receive free trade school and apprenticeships...nd many get good UNION trade jobs.

FREEDOM is to go college and rack up huge student loans when a person doesn't have the ability to succeed in higher education sounds like freedom to flunk out and become a debtor...a pretty dumb move, IMO.

Also, um, not everyone in the USA has the FREEDOM to attend college. You have to graduate from high school, get good grades, good SAT scores, etc. Colleges, including public schools, turn down LOTS of students. It's not "the government" telling you whther or not you get to attend college here - it's the institutions of higher learning themselves.

BTW - lots of people in Europe own their homes. They own their apartments too (ever hear of condos/co-ops?). They own cars and drive too...although with public transportation being so much better than here, many people don't NEED the expense of owning a car....kind of like living in NYC, Chicago, Boston, etc.

When Third World countries can afford parental leave and we can't (or won't) there is something wrong with our priorities...just my opinion.

Honored Contributor

Some people need to learn some serious reading comprehension skills, lol

Anyway, for those saying that they've never ever worked for a company that allows more time off for people with kids, well I can guarantee you that there are companies that do this. By the way, Wells Fargo is/was one of them, at least the department that we worked in. So are at least a few of the pharmaceutical companies. Both my husband and I worked for these companies that do allow people with kids to have paid sick leave for the purpose of caring for their children and it does not go against their own sick leave. Although I don't feel most employees abuse this policy, there is definitely one of my husband's coworkers who abuses this policy regularly. Funny thing is, his wife also works there (different department) and either their kid is sick almost every day of the week or there is some serious double dipping going on. And we actually caught our friend of ours on a few occasions calling in sick for their child being sick only to see them out and about, their child not sick but had a day off of school or a half day off and they didn't want to pay for childcare or babysitter. THAT should have been counted against their vacation time, not sick leave.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

@MaggieMack wrote:

I have a hard time with the logic that just because other countries are doing something, we should. America excelled because of its work ethic. No other countries had workers like we did. Even today, workers from the Midwest are favored over workers from other parts of the country due to their ingrained work ethic.  Europe doesn't seem to be doing all that well to me, why follow them? 

@MaggieMack  @Annabellethecat66You took the words right out of my mouth....Check out how these countries doing economically---why are so many immigrating to the U.S. to find work then????, what is their standard of living like???  Greece went bankrupt and other European countries are ready to follow from what I've read and seen on the news....Some how some way EVERYONE pays for these benefits---the $$$ doesn't just fall from the sky.....yet the people that want these benefits would be complaining about the increase in the cost of living...LOL!!! 

And according to the WIKIPEDIA article that someone referenced....in Europe for example this paid by a combination of employer liability and social security--Okay, so let's add the cost of the 1 year maternity benfit to the U.S. Social Securiy mess that we already have that's going broke.---ROFL!!!

oh right can you imagine????! Geez.

Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

I have a hard time with the logic that just because other countries are doing something, we should. America excelled because of its work ethic. No other countries had workers like we did. Even today, workers from the Midwest are favored over workers from other parts of the country due to their ingrained work ethic.  Europe doesn't seem to be doing all that well to me, why follow them? 

So true. They also do alot of things we don't like- heck isn't that the reason our forefathers broke away and wanted to start their own nation (to put it simply)?

Honored Contributor

Anyway, @Annabellethecat66 thanks again for bringing up a subject I long have felt should be discussed but never is. You are brave to bring it up since it is not PC to do. Smiley Wink Glad to hear there are other like-minded folks out there.

Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

Anyway, for those saying that they've never ever worked for a company that allows more time off for people with kids, well I can guarantee you that there are companies that do this. By the way, Wells Fargo is/was one of them, at least the department that we worked in. So are at least a few of the pharmaceutical companies. Both my husband and I worked for these companies that do allow people with kids to have paid sick leave for the purpose of caring for their children and it does not go against their own sick leave. Although I don't feel most employees abuse this policy, there is definitely one of my husband's coworkers who abuses this policy regularly. Funny thing is, his wife also works there (different department) and either their kid is sick almost every day of the week or there is some serious double dipping going on. And we actually caught our friend of ours on a few occasions calling in sick for their child being sick only to see them out and about, their child not sick but had a day off of school or a half day off and they didn't want to pay for childcare or babysitter. THAT should have been counted against their vacation time, not sick leave.

My reading comprhension is just fine, thank you.  You might want to check yours too. LOL

I never said anything about paid sick family.  Many companies do offer this benefit.  I was speaking of vacation days only and I stand by my statement.

People can and do abuse the policy.  Like your "friend". Just like child-less people who call in sick when they aren't.  

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

My reading comprhension is just fine, thank you.  You might want to check yours too. LOL

I never said anything about paid sick family.  Many companies do offer this benefit.  I was speaking of vacation days only and I stand by my statement.

People can and do abuse the policy.  Like your "friend". Just like child-less people who call in sick when they aren't.  

I wasn't even referring to you @mstyrion 1. LOL but I suppose by you assuming I was and assuming what I was commenting on and  then reacting to my post based on the assumed reference, it kind of reiterates my point of reading comprehension. Smiley Wink