Honored Contributor

Online and digital (app) banking is most likely the cause, especially after the pandemic.  

It's not just Wells Fargo.  I haven't been inside a bank in at least 15 years.  I do everything electronically on my own.

I do still use the drive-thru ATMs on occasion.  But since I can get extra cash when I pay for my groceries in the store, I don't even use ATMs that much either.  

Honored Contributor

We bank with Wells Fargo.  Our large branch didn't even have a notary the other day!

Some of it may be a "sign of the times" but when you quit offering services and you're a financial institution, services are half their function.  People are leaving.

Honored Contributor

If Wells Fargo were the last bank in the country, I would keep my money at home, hidden in a sock. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Re: Wells Fargo Banks

[ Edited ]

There are at least five branches within a few miles and many more looking at the larger area in which I live. When they took over Wachovia, they kept most of their own branches, the Wachovia branches and then added to them. If they now are closing branches it might have to do with having too many in the first place. What I find off-putting about them and other larger banks is the lack of service. Staffing is sketchy and while any given larger bank branch might have a few tellers, they have limited abilities to do anything else. I find it annoying when Wells, for example, wants customers to make an appointment for anything more than a routine teller transaction. Really, what happened to walk-in banking?  I'd also add, customer service by phone is a mixed bag. Once you finally reach someone, they're usually but not always helpful or pleasant. I have found brand personnel to be generally nice both in person and by phone. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

My bank, PNC, has announced branch closures as they transition more fully to online banking. Fine, but there are certain things you can't do online, like wire transfers and getting a cashiers check. We had to go to a distant inconvenient branch in another city for that. 

Harmonize the World
Esteemed Contributor

Only one WF branch in our small city but they closed drive thru and now open 1 hour later.

Honored Contributor

It seems like banks - and credit unions - would have little need for physical branch locations anymore.  I'm not surprised they're reducing their footprint but it's a shame to see the vacant real estate.  One vacant branch near me is now a medical marijuana dispensary; another is going through the township's permitting process for the same thing.

Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

The closure of drive thru windows seems to be a big-bank trend. Bank of America closed their drive thru manned by humans at one of their branches in West Texas.

@On It.  None of the BOA branches in my area of New Mexico have drive in windows.   Also, their ATM machines are in unsafe locations.  They have no regard whatsoever for their customers.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

We bank with Wells Fargo.  Our large branch didn't even have a notary the other day!

Some of it may be a "sign of the times" but when you quit offering services and you're a financial institution, services are half their function.  People are leaving.

The times I have gone inside the bank, the offices are always empty.  If you need to see a banker, you need an appointment.  

Esteemed Contributor

I have been a Wells Fargo customer since 1990 and never had a single problem with them.  In my town we only have an ATM is my only complaint.  When I did need an office I have to travel.