Valued Contributor

Re: Well there goes our electric

@Allegheny 

i am sorry to hear that your power went out. don't take this the wrong way, but please stop talking to yourself and get the generator. once it's installed, you can go back to talking to yourself and say thank you <smile>

back in the day, i did that also, today i wanted a generator and 2 days later, i didn't. i got the generator and am happy as can be.

the weather patterns have completely changed in many parts of the country and it seems that it takes longer and longer for the trees to be removed and for the power companies to get things fixed.

Respected Contributor

South Central PA here.  All my Husband has talked about for years is that we need a big generator.  Well, after my Dad passed, he went all the way to FL, rented a trailer, to bring his Big Honking Generator to PA.  That was a year and a half ago, and it is still taking up lots of space in our garage!  Smiley Frustrated

I'm sitting here, listening to the horrible winds whipping outside, and just waiting for the power to go out.  We had 3 inches of rain here before the winds started roaring, so I know somewhere there are trees that will go down.  

Mister Procrastinators intentions were all well and good, but this monster can't pour a cement slab to put itself on, nor hook itself up.....Smiley Frustrated  

Sorry for the rant.  I feel better now.  Hope all of us PA'ers get to keep the lights on.  Heart

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@iwrite  You are absolutely correct.  Will revisit in Spring.  Even if we use the generator only a couple times a year it will be worth it.  And we will be the envy of our neighbors!  Enough of this not being able to run the water or take a shower, let alone being freezing in the winter or sweltering in the summer.  It was adventureous when we were younger but not now.

@Mistic  I feel for you.  Perhaps you can encourage (threaten) him to get it installed.  Your DH sounds like my Dad, great intentions but not so great follow thru.

We're still without power.  Normally it isn't out this long, but considering how nasty those winds were who knows how many lines they have to repair.  It always seems we are the last on the list.   One time years back, we were out for 3 days,  everyone on our road had got power back except four of us.  They somehow missed a downed line that supplied our homes.  Another thing that bites, is because of all our trees my neighbor and I had under ground lines installed from the road to our house.

I hope you don't lose electric today.

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny 

Hope you get power soon! The wind was howling crazy. I had to retrieve my garbage and cans from across the street. 

Respected Contributor

@nun ya 

Hi

It came on at 7:58 am.  Talked to neighbor who was driving up our road she saw First Energy working on the transformer, within a minute or so it was on.  Then saw the school bus go by (we only have one that comes past) and wondered how many kids weren't going to make the bus.

It may sound trivial to some, but what a good feeling it is to have the electric back on.  Haven't checked outside yet.  I see one tree in the woods snapped in half, but for the beating we took that looks about all we suffered.

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@Sheila P-Burg 

Hi there!  I have a love/hate relationship with wind, guess one developes that when they live in the middle of the woods. I keep thinking about the sky scraper trees behind the house keeping my fingers crossed one doesn't come down  I now realize that our windows need replacing soon.  Our temp has dropped down to around 38 sr far.  I don't know how long we will be without power.  There are sporatic outages.

Early tomorrow morning I am to go help set up for a wedding this Saturday.  I'll get there, just don't know when.  Thanks for the heads up re what to expect. 

I had a love/hate relationship living rural and lived in the middle of a virtual forest so I was always fearing wind/bad storms.  We had overhead wires and when we lost power it'd take a week to 10 days to get restored bc they begin in the most populated areas and worked outward till they'd get to us.

I had a manual transfer switch installed so I could roll a portable generator down to it but that got old.  At some point it felt too isolated and I said "I'm getting too old for this" so I moved to the burbs. If I'd have stayed I'd have gotten an automatic whole house generator bc my house was propane run and they could have tapped into that so I wasn't buying gasoline for a generator.

We had fierce wind and rain last night and I was glad we didn't lose power.  

Respected Contributor

We have a lot of big oaks and hickory trees.  I have been keeping the falling leaves blown "where they go"  as they fall.  HAH!  This new massive  batch will take me a day, just in the back yard.  And then there is that big rake...OUCH!   Oh well, at least all we have are branches down, no snapped trees.  So it's all good here, for now.  

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey