Valued Contributor

Re: Well now I think I've seen it all!

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@DearPrudence wrote:

Some communities have started using poop DNA to track down dog owners who don't clean up after their dogs.

While that would be a good deterrent, I do not think it is possible.

It is indeed possible. For example:

WFLA web staff - RIVERVIEW, Fla. (WFLA) - Some homeowners in a Florida community are upset because the HOA plans to start using DNA testing on dog poop to catch irresponsible dog owners who don't clean up after their pets.

A resident said the board  at Osprey Run in Riverview recently passed a ruling that would require all dog owners to register their animal for $35. The money would pay to register the homeowner's dog for the database. The DNA poop records would then be used to later identify any violations.

Summer Stiles, an Osprey Run resident, said she's tired of cleaning up her yard. "They won't pick it up. Why not pick it up," said Stiles.

Any poop samples found in the community would be sent away to be tested. Samples that come back matching a pet will result in a fine to the homeowner.

Esteemed Contributor

@DearPrudence wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@DearPrudence wrote:

Some communities have started using poop DNA to track down dog owners who don't clean up after their dogs.

It is indeed possible. For example:

WFLA web staff - RIVERVIEW, Fla. (WFLA) - Some homeowners in a Florida community are upset because the HOA plans to start using DNA testing on dog poop to catch irresponsible dog owners who don't clean up after their pets.

A resident said the board  at Osprey Run in Riverview recently passed a ruling that would require all dog owners to register their animal for $35. The money would pay to register the homeowner's dog for the database. The DNA poop records would then be used to later identify any violations.

Summer Stiles, an Osprey Run resident, said she's tired of cleaning up her yard. "They won't pick it up. Why not pick it up," said Stiles.

Any poop samples found in the community would be sent away to be tested. Samples that come back matching a pet will result in a fine to the homeowner.

While the science may exist, it is just not practical to implement.  People will not register dogs, samples cannot be tainted by other dogs "follow-up" visits, stray or loose dogs will not be in system. etc.  Realistically someone else will be picking up the poop for testing that will result inconclusive.  Get a camera to catch them in the act, much better results.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Starpolisher 

They require it at the swanky apartment where my sister lives in order to find out who it was that didnt pickup after their dog

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@DearPrudence wrote:

@CrazyDaisy 

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/19/pooprints-brings-in-millions-testing-dog-poop-dna-to-snag-non-scoope...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I don't mind cleaning up after my two dogs. For the pet owners who let their dogs poop in my yard? Clean up after your own dog. I would not bother to get it tested though. Most people do clean up after their own dogs.
Esteemed Contributor

No, I don't think you have seen it all. There will always be something to top what you've already seen. There always is.

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Starpolisher 

They require it at the swanky apartment where my sister lives in order to find out who it was that didnt pickup after their dog

Good Luck with that.  What is to stop someone from picking up some other dogs poop and registering it as their dogs. Unless the complex is going to stand there and collect samples from each dog, they will never know who is in the system.  Without an accurate data base to test against, it is a waste of money.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Brisky wrote:
I don't mind cleaning up after my two dogs. For the pet owners who let their dogs poop in my yard? Clean up after your own dog. I would not bother to get it tested though. Most people do clean up after their own dogs.

@Brisky 

Not where I live....very few dog owners pick up after their dogs in my neighborhood.....they are unphased by city ordinances and COA rules....So drastic action is needed, and now Animal Control has evidence...fines start at $250 and go up to $2000....so its going to cost irresponsible dog owners for the DNA process and any fines.....Ive had dogs and ALWAYS picked up after them

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Starpolisher 

Good Luck with that.  What is to stop someone from picking up some other dogs poop and registering it as their dogs. Unless the complex is going to stand there and collect samples from each dog, they will never know who is in the system.  Without an accurate data base to test against, it is a waste of money.

@CrazyDaisy 

Our COA requires all pets to be microchipped and have rabies shots required under city law and veterinary records to confirm, also a pet photo is taken at COA office and placed on file.  Since this is a small gated condo community you know where people and their dogs live......One of the people who rented one of the condos got evicted...too many complaints on her dogs...she didnt pick up after her dogs...she let them run around loose and she didnt obey city leash laws.....One neighbor asked her nicely to please pickup after her dogs and the woman became combative...thank God she and her dogs are gone!!!  But there are still other violators Woman Frustrated

Respected Contributor

Well, I guess there will always be losers. I do pick up after my dogs.