Honored Contributor

Re: Well it's only 60 degrees, and it's after 9 a.m.

@qualitygal   Similar weather in my area. My husband was going to mow this morning, but it rained so it will have to wait.  I enjoy the cooler days, but not the gloomy feel of the day....it makes me lazy.  

I have been busy all morning so now at 2:00 ish, I have run out of inside projects to do.  This is one reason I don't like winter..can't get outside, and the days are really long.

Respected Contributor

Oh my, 60 degrees sounds so good! Expecting 103 again in a few days but we had a break from the 100's yesterday. It was only 98. DH is from MI...he misses the cool mornings right now.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@millieshops  That is the timing here as well.  The oaks reluctantly give it up in November.  Our burning bush is starting to turn red.  Due to lack of rain probably.  July and August has been dry.

Lack of moisture causes leaves to turn as well as frost...LM

The lack of rain does affect fall colors. The two impacts are an earlier change in color and duller colors. Trees, which have been under stress during a prolonged period of time will have more dull colors when leaves turn. Plus, there will be more yellows as compared to the vibrant reds and oranges.

Honored Contributor

It's 62 here in southeast PA this morning (yesterday was cool too!).  As far as leaves changing, the only ones that I noticed was those turning brown due to lack of rain that we had for several weeks.

The leaves here tend to turn in mid to late October.

Respected Contributor

I beg you to send some cool air to Colorado.  Today will be another 95 degree day.  Doesn't cool off at night.  Got up to 70 degrees again.  Miserable. Have 2 grandkids playing baseball/softball and sitting at their games is just awful.

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@millieshops  That is the timing here as well.  The oaks reluctantly give it up in November.  Our burning bush is starting to turn red.  Due to lack of rain probably.  July and August has been dry.

The lack of rain does affect fall colors. The two impacts are an earlier change in color and duller colors. Trees, which have been under stress during a prolonged period of time will have more dull colors when leaves turn. Plus, there will be more yellows as compared to the vibrant reds and oranges.

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@How do you know this about leaves?  I need to find a book and read up on this stuff.  Love fall leaves as they turn colors.  And the shapes!!! Love trees and leaves.

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fairydogmother wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

Oh, we've had our first frost they said the other day.

Say whaaaat!! Wow. I came here from Portage/Kalamazoo. Where are you?

It was in the UP, near Marquette. Nowhere near the Kalamazoo/Portage area . Great for getting the windows open, but that's about it. 

~not a new poster, never been banned, every time I take a break I have to re-register for some unknown reason~