Respected Contributor

Re: Well Meaning Family & Friends.

I like to stay at home too since I retired.  I can go for a week or so and then Im out for whatever I need.  I also go out with friends whenever.  But after commuting 2 hours everyday and worrying about the weather to drive in and all the go go go I enjoy my home and my pups!

Honored Contributor

Several thoughts.

One is that it's good you realize your friends and family afre well-meaning.  To me that says they know you well enough that they've seen the change in your behavior.

That leads me to my second thought.  You are quite entitled to change your behavior, at least as long as you find healthy changes.  You haven't said you've turned to pills and alcohol - all good with me.

And a final thought.  Do continue to be aware of yourself and your behavior.  You may choose still another life just not on other people's timeline.         

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I understand you choosing to stay home . You should do exactly what you want to do. After years of caring for others this is your time.

All that being said. You are lucky to have so many people care about you. Tell them exactly how you feel & that you're fine.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   Let's flip the scenario.  Would you be concerned if your DD started to only go to work and then come home, never going out with friends in the evenings and on weekends? 

That is the same concern that they are having for you.  While you may be extremely happy, they are concerned because it is not what they are used to from you.  They just want to make sure you are okay.

Respected Contributor

I would be concerned if a family member didn't leave their home for weeks at a time.

Although I don't think they should nag you, would you consider going out more often with them? You might find you enjoy it, and you'll get to spend more time with your loved ones.

My mom can be a homebody, but we try to take her out at least once a week for a change of scenery. I think isolation can put people at risk of depression.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Esteemed Contributor

@Travone  If she suddenly didn't want to go out, yes I would be worried.  Also if at her at her age of 50 I would be conerned.

My desire to stay home isn't sudden. It's not like I was a social butterfly and one day stopped. Once my DH got though his treatments and surgery and had only follow-up appts or quarterly scans I had no desire to be out and about.

The first time I had 5 straight days at home, after 7 1/2 weeks of daily 70 mi. round trip drives to radition treatments or Dr. appt., I was in domestic heaven.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 as long as you are happy and content to be home then you are doing fine.It is so nice to have people who really care enough to be concerned.Try to indulge them once in awhile so they can stop worrying and feel that you are okay.

Trusted Contributor

I can understand what you mean about enjoying being home.  I also understand your friends and love ones concern if you stay home weeks at a time.  As someone who drives kids around constantly I seek joy in a day off work when I can sit at home in my PJs.

What I have seen in some people once they retire they stop doing things (stop moving, stop keeping mind occupied) instead sit down watch TV and don't to anything.  That isn't healthy.  That doesn't mean you have to be on the go everyday doing something away from home.  My grandfather was retired for over 30 years when he passed but he found love in woodworking and made things for the church and others in the community.  My grandparents were probably like you and didn't leave the house often unless it was the Dr or church.  My grandfather was busy and stayed healthy for many years.

Respected Contributor

I think they are all well meaning and just want you to stay involved and not spend to much time alone. Now that being said I understand where you are coming from perfectly. I am retired and I love being home!! I spent years working and having to run here and there constantly. Now I just love being at home. I am an avid reader and I love just being able to read a book. I also in the Summer spend hours each day in my flower gardens. I have time now to try new recipes and basically just do what I want. I do go out to lunch with friends and every Friday is date day with my DH who gets off at noon. I chat with friends and I write letters to family members and friends also. I am loving retirement!!! It is not what others would do with their time. However being at home and not having to be somewhere or be on a time schedule is fabulous!!!! So I say just enjoy your retirement and don't worry about what others think or say. When they retire they can do things their way.

Honored Contributor

I much prefer to stay at home too on days I am not at work.  About 5 years after my divorce my step-father expressed his belief I should be out and about a whole lot more and looking for a new husband.  I asked him "why should I live MY LIFE the way YOU think I should?"  That question shut him down and my dear Mom kept her mouth closed completely.  It amazes me that others think they could do it better than we can ourselves.  I just think they need a hobby since they are so bored. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."