Honored Contributor

Re: Well. I Have Seen it All

I would find a way to say hello to the woman and the kids. Kindness and empathy do wonders for the soul and mind.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

While I'm not an advocate for wearing pajamas in public,  I also don't think people should be judged for how they dress, where they live, or where they shop.

Esteemed Contributor

Why all the hateful responses? Your nasty comments tell me a lot about you.

It happens around here - people in stores, etc, in pajamas or joggers. People seem to have gotten sloppy or lazy about their appearance these days. Not me. I wouldn't do it. To each his own.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Harpa wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

@amyb : Snobby or condescending?

I didn't think she was either. I thought she was making a comment about wearing pj's in public. Since that's what the Q's been hawking lately.

I, personally, do not care for this casual attitude.

@Harpa You misunderstood my intent entirely...I'm in agreement with @Calcgirl  and you on this. I was saying how (frankly I was surprised that day I got clobbered for saying so) it's been tricky to express that on these boards. But...lol...what ISN'T tricky or "triggering" to someone in each post!

So...to be clear....agree...pjs aren't for the grocery store or breakfast at a hotel...they are for lounging and sleeping at home. But everything goes apparently now...it's all sloppy imo.

Super Contributor

I grew up on a family farm.  We had little money and my parents had little education.  However, our house was clean, our clothes were clean and pressed, our hair was brushed and clean, and we learned manners and were required to be kind even if we had disagreements.   This represented respect for myself and others, my desire to make a good impression when looking for a job, and a desire to present myself at my best.  This life long lesson served me well.   PJ's,  fuzzy slippers, uncombed hair, clothes that look like they were in a heap for a month in public places are not an economic issue.  For all who choose to dress fashionably (I don't mean expensive) in public, that says something about you.  However, for those who think whatever they wear in public should be acceptable, that says a lot about you as well. 

Trusted Contributor

I like to do my grocery shopping early in the day, I see quite a few of the younger women wearing pajama bottoms and slippers while shopping, to me that's lack of common sense, JMO.

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Harpa wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

I didn't think she was either. I thought she was making a comment about wearing pj's in public. Since that's what the Q's been hawking lately.

"very elegant Thanksgiving Inn"

If not snobby or condescending then what?

@CelticCrafter It's simply what it is. A descriptor. As opposed to a really casual place. ie. Everyone is dressed up for Thanksgiving and this guy is in his pjs. I stand by that.

Relax. 

Trusted Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@Calcgirl wrote:

I went to Safeway today and I saw a lady with two kids, all of them dressed in pajamas. She also had big fuzzy slippers and a old robe on. By the looks of her hair and the kids hair, it was apparent they just got out of bed although it was later in the afternoon. Not sure if they were sick or what, but I stayed a distance away from them just in case.  This is a nice area, so I doubt she was dressed this way because she could not afford clothes.

So what. Who cares why they were dressed that way. And you stayed away from them. Wow, just wow. How very judgmental and privileged of you.

APPARENTLY YOU DID NOT READ MY ENTIRE POST! I STATED I STAYED AWAY BECAUSE I WONDERED IF SHE AND HER CHILDREN WERE SICK SINCE IT WAS APPARENT BY THEIR CLOTHING AND MESSY HAIR THEY HAD BEEN IN BED.  I AM NOT GOING TO BE SHAMED BY YOU FOR STATING I WAS TRYING TO STAY SAFE FROM GERMSIN CASE THIS FAMILY WAS SICK.   HOPE YOU HAVE A GOOD DAY AND DON'T EAT ANYMORE NAILS.

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

News flash!!! People with mental health issues, substance abuse issues and even poverty live EVERYWHERE. Even in your "nice area" which might not be what many folks would think of as nice. If I saw that woman, I'd assume she had mental health issues.

New flash. Got that. Understood.

And also...people not sick, and without mental health issues, and not homeless, are showing up this way too. That's the topic here. Not the rest. The people without issues such as that, staying in pjs to go out.

As usual, everything upsets everyone...so I'm out before it gets poofed. 

Trusted Contributor

@nevergivesup wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Harpa wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

"very elegant Thanksgiving Inn"

If not snobby or condescending then what?

I reread the OP several times and I don’t believe she had a condescending or snobby attitude at all. I think the reference to a “nice area” by @Calcgirl and “an elegant Thanksgiving Inn” by @amyb was an attempt to rule out other more understandable reasons for going out in public this way. 

Presumably someone who was homeless wouldn’t be dining in an expensive Inn. I read the comment to mean that the gentleman didn’t have the excuse that someone in dire straits might have.

I grew up poor, have never forgotten my roots  and am very sensitive to class snobbery but I absolutely don’t believe these posters were intending any such thing.

THANK YOU, YOU STATED VERY CLEARLY WHAT I MEANT.  MY POINT WAS THIS FAMILY WAS PROBABLY SICK.  I ACTUALLY FELT SORRY FOR THE MOM THINKING SHE MAY BE FEELING MISERABLE AND HAD TO GO TO THE STORE. I STAYED AWAY BECAUSE I GET SICK VERY EASILY NOT BECAUSE SHE WAS IN PJ'S. I HAVE SEEN PJ'S WORN IN STORES BEFORE AND BY KIDS IN SCHOOL.  I FIGURED THEY WERE AT LEAST COVERED UP.