Valued Contributor

Re: Well. I Have Seen it All

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Calcgirl wrote:

I just read all of the responses to my post and wow, I don't know if I should laugh or cry.  First, some of you accuse me of harshly judging this woman. Unless she was ill and came in to get meds she was inappropriately dressed. period.  Second, I got blasted for stating I lived in a nice area.  I mentioned this to let the readers know the store is in a upscale neighborhood where we do not even  have public transportation nearby.  I can't believe someone who has little money can afford to travel 30 miles to come to a grocery store!  Besides, I am not going to apologize for working by butt off all of my life to make something of myself so I did not have to stay in a poor neighborhood! When I was in school, I worked very hard when other kids skipped school and spent their time getting high. So who should be ashamed, myself or them???? I realize there are those like my parents who due to circumstances beyond their control suffer economically and my heart goes out to them. I try to do my part in giving them aid. I am considered a kind and considerate person.

By the way, I have seen this lady and her two girls since this posting and she drives a very expensive Mercedes Benz and was dressed very nicely, so I assume she and her girls had some reason to be in public in their PJ's.  Also, when I have volunteered at a homeless shelter and a kitchen in a poverty stricken area, all of those dear people had regular clothes on and not PJ's.  Pajamas are probably a luxury to many. Many do not even own a warm coat to keep warm in.  How many who harshly judged me go out of your way to help the poor? Do you give them coats, blankets, clothing, food. Do you volunteer your time ? Or do you just sit in judgement of others? That woman has the money to dress herself and her daughters, because of this, I was surprised to see her in her jammies, that is why I wondered if she was sick and had to go to the store to pick up a script or something.  I hope you all have a Merry Christmas.  Don't forget the children who have nothing under the tree, I know from experience how that feels.

@Calcgirl   I think you are trying too hard to present yourself in nothing more than a positive light.  That is fine.  Yet you are not the only one who grew up the same way and worked hard to earn a better way of life.

Keeping in mind not everyone has that opportunity-think about it.

I was not nasty or harsh to you; I simply pointed out that SOME posters took exception when you said that this is a nice area.  That is all I said.

When you submit that this is a nice area, there is an implication that pj's would be more acceptable in a poor area.  You may not have meant that, but once posters read about nice areas-the reaction is reasonable.

As far as the car this woman was driving, you do not know her personally, do you.  It could be last expensive item she owns; the clothes could be the end of the line for them.  Even folks who live in nice areas can get slammed down economically and lose quite a bit if not all.

I knew a woman years ago who was left with nothing but a Cadillac after her husband left her with nothing.  She lived in that car, had her remaining nice clothes in the trunk, and was able to clean up at shelters.

Nobody would have guessed her situation.

I am sure there are many, many posters here who do their best to donate money, goods, and/or time.  We just do not need to justify it or explain it.

Whether it matters to you or not, I do not think you are a bad person.  I just think the wording of your post left the door open for some criticism.

Keeping away from them because they could have been sick-valid point.

Where you live, not  needed.

Enjoy your holidays and be thankful for your blessings.

Be well.

Exactly.  I was always taught to keep your good deeds to yourself.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Well. I Have Seen it All

@CatsyCline wrote:

goodness!! wearing a robe in a nice area!! and her ride is not a junkbox but a BENZ ...no doubt purchasing T-bones and Lobsters with food stamps!!!  oh think of the poor children... what is going on with this world!!

@CatsyCline  Glad you are ok with all that.