Honored Contributor

Re: Well. I Have Seen it All

We are all privileged, some more than others. We are all judgemental and should be if we wish to remain alive. We judge whether a person is trustworthy, knowledgeable, kind...or dangerous. I judged the OP to be considerate, someone who wouldn't go about disrespecting those she encounters by looking unkempt. I judged the negative responder as unkind and lacking in manners.

Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I saw a very "curvy" woman in Target wearing only a skin-color body suit.  She got a LOT of attention...

@Desertdi I saw the same sight at my ShopRite store. Amazing! At first glance she looked like she had no clothes on. The lady in front of me ran smack into the glass door while staring at her.

Respected Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 

I remember you changed your nickname, what was it before?

Esteemed Contributor

@amyb wrote:

@Harpa wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

@amyb : Snobby or condescending?

I didn't think she was either. I thought she was making a comment about wearing pj's in public. Since that's what the Q's been hawking lately.

I, personally, do not care for this casual attitude.

@Harpa You misunderstood my intent entirely...I'm in agreement with @Calcgirl  and you on this. I was saying how (frankly I was surprised that day I got clobbered for saying so) it's been tricky to express that on these boards. But...lol...what ISN'T tricky or "triggering" to someone in each post!

So...to be clear....agree...pjs aren't for the grocery store or breakfast at a hotel...they are for lounging and sleeping at home. But everything goes apparently now...it's all sloppy imo.

@amyb  I want to publically apologize! I was not reading properly and missed where they were responding to you.

In any event, I wish Q would get off the pj kick.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm a little surprised by the negative responses on here or should I be?   I totally got what the OP was saying and didn't see anything wrong with it.  I too recently stayed at an upscale hotel (so what!?) and certain floors had private lounges, again (so what?!)  If you have worked hard you have a right to enjoy certain things in your life.  What you share with others is up to you.........but the point I was getting at was in this "fancy pants" hotel lounge they literally had a sign on the wall that "pajama's and slippers are not allowed in the lounge area".   So that says it all, don't assume everyone who dresses like a total slob in public is poor or is mentally ill.  JMO.

Honored Contributor

@Calcgirl    I would see the situation differently...

I would not pass judgement on her clothes or her children's clothes.... perhaps they are homeless or such... you do not know what she can afford....

I would say she is taking care of her children having them with her... the children are not left home alone or in the car.... and she  getting groceries to feed them. That is a good Mother...

To put such emphasis on how they are dressed seems really discriminating. Lucky you that you are dressed to the T to go out and have such a blessed life.

Respected Contributor

Many people work very hard but are unable to escape poverty. Landscapers, cashiers, restaurant employees, hotel employees, warehouse employees, lots of people work very, very hard. Some aren't able to take out college loans or have family members pay their tuition. And even if they could enroll, they'd still have to provide for themselves or a family.

Idk the woman's circumstances for wearing pj's out that @Calcgirl  wrote about. I wouldn't assume. If I saw the mom & her children, I'd probably feel bad for them if there were clues it was due to poverty. If no clues of poverty, I'd ignore their dress and not judge them. Just as I wouldn't want someone judging me for how I might look.

Everything is relative, including economic status.

And people can give any impression of their economic status they want online - real or not.

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

I would find a way to say hello to the woman and the kids. Kindness and empathy do wonders for the soul and mind.

I might have offered to pay for her groceries and just tell her have a blessed day... Just because... not because she appeared disheveled....

Esteemed Contributor

I am not an advocate of wearing PJ's out shopping , but to me the worst is the see through leggings/leotards that all the  girls and women are wearing  without tunic tops to cover their pelvic areas . Saw a 10 yr old girl with a see through pair on . I could not believe that her parents allowed her out of the house , then I looked at her Mother and  hers were see through to.

Super Contributor

I have seen people wearing nasty pajamas climb into expensive cars. Some folks are too lazy to get dressed or put a brush through their hair. I don't see grey haired ladies doing this so it must be mostly the younger parents.