Valued Contributor

Well I Had the Bejeebers Scared Out of Me . . . Again

Tonight I was baking scallops for dinner (at $24.99/lb - yikes).  They were well buttered in a Pyrex baking dish at 375 degrees.  After 5-6 minutes I took them out of the oven to check doneness and to turn them over.  I had a cutting board on the counter to set them down on.  Half way up to the cutting board, the Pyrex just shattered into large pieces.  I had scallops everywhere.  Thankfully, it broke into large pieces and was fairly easy to clean up.  There were some small shards all over the place but I was able to get to them before they scratched my glass top stove.  Scallops in the garbage.

I had a similar experience with Pyrex about 15-20 years ago.  I was cooking a roast beef in a 325-350 degree oven and when I opened the oven to pull it out it exploded!  And I mean exploded.  There were large and small shards of glass all over my kitchen - like a 6-7 foot distance from the oven.  That I wasn't hurt, or my underfoot dog in front of the oven wasn't hurt, was an absolute miracle.  No joke.  I swore off Pyrex then and haven't used it for years. 

I guess I got complacent, thought my terrible experience was a one off and started using my pieces again about 4 years ago.  I went on-line and found I'm not the first and only one who has experienced exploding Pyrex.  I've never had a problem with my Corning Ware.  Tonight every single piece of Pyrex I own (and there are several) hit the recycle bin.  No more, never again. Be careful my friends.  LuLu

Super Contributor

Re: Well I Had the Bejeebers Scared Out of Me . . . Again

I think it is the newer Pyrex that has this problem.  The Pyrex from years ago never

did any exploding.  It was a wonderful product.  Not sure when they said this started...

perhaps when they took the production overseas to make it?

So sorry to hear this happened to you....the dinner unedible just added insult to

injury.  So glad you were not physically hurt by this.  I would write the company and

complain.  Perhaps maybe they will give you some compensation to go buy more

dinner to enjoy.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm glad you weren't hurt, @Its Me LuLuBelle2. Scary indeed. I'm too tired at the moment to go in the kitchen and look, but I know some of what I have is Pyrex. I have never heard of this happening before with it. I wonder why this happens?

That exploding pyrex could take out an eye, so many horrible injuries it could cause. Thank God you or your dog weren't hurt either time. Goodness.

Esteemed Contributor

You have one or two Guardian Angels looking over you.  So glad you weren't hurt either time.  I would have done exactly what you did with the remainig Pyrex dishes.  Smiley Happy

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

I haven't had that happen, but I bet it is scary.  

Honored Contributor

I've had one break in half in the oven. I can't recall what brand it was. I'm glad you weren't hurt.

Esteemed Contributor

I own Pyrex baking pans and dishes, and 2 sets of bowls from my wedding shower 50 years ago. I've never had a problem with them, except once in my newlywed days, when I thought I could cook on my gas stove with one of the Pyrex bowls. I was cooking meatballs and sauce on a gas burner and suddenly I heard this explosion. My kitchen looked like a crime scene, with red sauce and broken glass all over the walls and the ceiling. If I wasn't crying so hard I might have found the humor in it, but I really wanted to make a nice dinner for my new hubby. What an awful mess!

But I do believe most of the Pyrex problems are the ones made in China today, not the old ones that were made in Corning, NY.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Super Contributor

Whoa!  This is sooo scarey and unexpected. Glad you're ok. 

This same thing happened to me once about 10yrs ago. I was making peanut brittle in a large, rectangular, Pyrex dish. As soon as I took it out of the oven and placed it on top of the oven, it burst into several pieces, spoiling the candy and creating a splintered glass mess in the burners. There must be something wrong with the glass going instantly from a hot temp (350) to room temp, and cooling down. Expansion to retraction.  I like glass dishes, but I'm with you, no more Pyrex brand for me....too risky.

Esteemed Contributor

Holy moly that had to shake you up! Glad you didn’t get burned or cut.  I had that happen years ago. No Pyrex for me. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 , thank heavens you’re ok.  What a fright!  LM