Honored Contributor

Re: Well, Fess up-How much $$$ did you spend on Amazon/WalMart?

The things I ordered for Halloween weren't prime deals but on sale, several have already shipped.  I spent $144.00.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@betteb wrote:

I didn't buy a thing, but it wasn't for lack of trying. I wanted the Fire Stick, but it sold out before I could find it on the site.

The majority of it was junk nobody wanted. I'm not alone in my disappointment in the sale. GMA just did a story on it and people are not happy. There are a couple of hashtags that are blowing up on Twitter right now. I just used them, here is what I Tweeted, pretty much sums it up Smiley Sad

@amazon #UnhappyPrimeDay Happy Prime Day? Sitewide % discount #PrimeDayFail

Couldn't have said it better myself.  I just missed one of those tvs but the traffic was just too great.  Same thing with a small laptop.  It's too bad and a rare miss for Amazon.  Boo.

Count me among the disappointed.  Our local news did a story on this and was talking about how so many were unhappy.  I thought the sale was pretty lame.  

Esteemed Contributor

Amazon 'Prime' allows you to have free shipping.  Taxes can't be avoided especially not in California.  I got two things as a discount - not necessarily a drastic discount but less than I wanted to pay and I don't have to drive to go and find the products - gas savings. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@Shelbybiskit wrote:

I agree, Birkinbaby. I was very disappointed with the sale. You say you borrow books on prime? I know that's one of the benefits, but I have never been able to make it work. Wonder what I'm doin wrong? Is it easy for you to access?

I'm having the same problem trying to borrow a book.  I chalked it up to too much traffic yesterday and will try again today but if anybody has any tips I would greatly appreciate them!

Here's a link to get to the Kindle Lending Library to see which books are available: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000739811

I have also noticed that many of the books that show up as deals on the Special Offers Kindles are also in the lending Library, so if I see one I like, I download the sample and add the sample to a "Borrow" collection and look it up when I return my current book. The selection is limited (It's  in the thousands) and changes. I did get The Hunger Games and the Wayward Pines trilogies from the lending library.

Contributor

I was looking forward to the sale but I found nothing I wanted on sale.  I ended up buying some shelf dividers that I wanted and needed and they weren't on sale.  I thought all the Amazon sale hype was a universe apart from what it turned out to be.

Honored Contributor

Ah, I think my problem with borrowing the Kindle book was that I was trying to do it from my laptop . . . will retrieve said Kindle and try again . . . thank you for the Help link!

Esteemed Contributor

@Burnsite wrote:

It was more like the old Filene's Basement (which I remember fondly from my student days)--i.e., a "rummage sale"--than the upscale Nordstrom sale that's starting tomorrow.  But I rather miss rummage sales so I enjoyed it.

To me it was very similar to their Black Friday event, in that they put in surprises throughout the day, and withdraw items that meet their quota. 

A huge plus to shopping at Amazon is that the reviews are pretty reliable, so I will take a chance there more than on other websites where the reviews are edited to accentuate the positive.

I've posted this before, but I got a great deal on a robot vacuum (Roomba) designed for pet hairs.  It had sold out by mid-morning. My little cat Claire is meek in disposition but mighty in shedding white fluff.  Roomba should help, as I only vacuum once a week or so.  Roomba can pick up the slack--and if it doesn't. back it will go.

Later in the evening I purchased an electric teakettle with a gooseneck spout--I make Chemex coffee where the temp of the water is a consideration (also I am fond of green tea, also temp. sensitive).  I burned out my stove kettle about six months ago.

And a four-place setting Gorham 18/10 stainless table set: $29.00 instead of MSP $100.  My stainless, which I inherited from a friend years ago, is really looking tired these days.  

About $390 in all--the Roomba is expensive.  I've been pricing them for years and this is the best price I've ever seen on that model.

So happy that you picked up some deals!  I checked in a number of times and was greatly disappointed.  We've just bought a house and will be moving at the end of August, so had a list of possibles, none of which made it to the sale to my knowledge.  I'll be keeping my eyes open elsewhere. 

(Congrats on the Roomba.  I have a friend with 2 timid cats and she loves her 2 Roombas!)

Honored Contributor

I didn't find any good salesSmiley Sad

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Respected Contributor

I bought a wireless mouse for my laptop but not because it was on sale.  I bought it because I needed it. 

Respected Contributor

$0.

Both my husband and I tried but there was nothing to be found. We were really disappointed.

~Live with Intention~