Esteemed Contributor

Well, DD Just Shelled Out $850 For Her Car

Last night when DD pulled in the driveway her car was making a screeching noise.

AAA came this morning about 9am and took her car to her mechanic's garage. Something with a caliper and her brakes.  He called her about 10 and told her what was wrong and that it would be done this afternoon. $850. It is a Honda Civic and has 175,000 miles. It has been the only major thing with it. 

The lease on her HRV is up in November and she has decided to buy it. She drives the Civic to work 99% of the time to keep the mileage down on the lease. If I need a car the HRV is here during the week and is backup for DD if she would need it for work.

Cars, a necessity but can be costly devils.

Respected Contributor

Re: Well, DD Just Shelled Out $850 For Her Car

Ouch. I thought my car would outlast me, but it did not. I had to purchase a new (for me) one last year and it only had 140,000 miles on it. I didn't want to put $2000.00 into an11 year old car that they wouldn't guarantee (brake issue, also.) Pretty sure this one will outlast me as I've had it over a year and only put a couple thousand miles on it.

Honored Contributor

So happy we don't need a car.  Saves a lot of money!

Honored Contributor

That's great that's the only major thing that needed repair in all this time.  Sounds like a great car!

Esteemed Contributor

@GenXmuse  DD's last car was a Honda also.  It was a great little car.

The neighbor's bull hated that car, attacked it twice in 8 months. Got into our yard and driveway and rubbed it head/horns all over it. Dented the hood, trunk, all doors, fenders etc. You could see the hairs from the bull stuck on stuff. 1st time was 6 or 7 grand and the second time was 5 grand. You should have heard those phone calls to State Farm.

It was finally done in by a deer when she was coming home.

She is a Honda girl.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@GenXmuse  DD's last car was a Honda also.  It was a great little car.

The neighbor's bull hated that car, attacked it twice in 8 months. Got into our yard and driveway and rubbed it head/horns all over it. Dented the hood, trunk, all doors, fenders etc. You could see the hairs from the bull stuck on stuff. 1st time was 6 or 7 grand and the second time was 5 grand. You should have heard those phone calls to State Farm.

It was finally done in by a deer when she was coming home.

She is a Honda girl.

Oh my goodness! Yeah, try to explain that one. Hondas are  great cars. 

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 Sorry to hear about the repair cost.  Everything is just so expensive today!  Whenever I have no idea about the cost of something I wll make a guess then just double it.

Let us know how the buy out on the lease goes.  I'm also leasing an HRV and the lease will be up in August.  I have a bit more time but it seems that it is very difficult to either buy or lease a new car right now.  My HRV is still like new with only 11k miles on it.

Honored Contributor

I have a 2003 Saturn SUV with 56,000 miles and nothing wrong with it except a bad paint job.  Last summer the AC went out, I got an estimate of $1700 to fix it.  Too much $$$ for an old car and I didn't want to buy another so I do all my business and appointments in the mornings while its cool and park it by 11am.

I had a new Honda Accord and the transmission went out with less than 60,000 miles.  No more Hondas for me.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@haddon9  She has the low mileage discount on her insurance.  It is if you don't go over 7500 miles a year.

We have managed to keep it to that. Last year we were 500 under. I usually put no more  than 25 miles a week and she takes it once in a blue moon to work.

She could lease again for another 6 months but she figured  interest rates will go up again so she might as well just buy it now.

Esteemed Contributor

Cars. 

This week I dropped $1300.00 on 4 run-flat tires, and that was the best price by over $200.00! During installation it was determined that I need parts on my two front wheels. I made an appointment with my trusted tech guy, not the tire place, to check it out in two weeks. If neeeded, that will add another $700.00. All just after paying quarterly estimated taxes and DS's wedding coming up next month. 

It never ends, does it?

That's about what I pay for whatever annual maintenance is needed on my 2014 vehicle which now has over 120K miles.

I like my car; like nothing better on the road. It's paid for and I have no desire to replace it any time soon.