Valued Contributor

Re: Weird situation/Possible scam?

There was a story on the news recently where an address was used as a drop shipment location.

Knowing that no one lived there, a perfect place for a possible drop off.

For either contraband / illegal drugs.

Hopefully it was not for that, just a mistaken address.

Respected Contributor

Hopefully but like I said we had a problem with mail fraud in this neighborhood and I was 1 of the many victims. They stole mail then opened up credit card accounts and ordered merchandise to sell. So I don't know, hopefully, he will contact me on facebook. 

Honored Contributor

I think I would let it go.  You never know what is going on and if nobody is upset about it, why beg the issue? 

Trusted Contributor

It occurs to me that an acquaintance or relative of the owner of that house needs a place to receive packages because they cannot have the same drop off/leave on the porch arrangement where they live. So they got permission from the owner of the vacant house to have their pet supplies delivered there. Since both FedEx and UPS and USPS will advise by email when a delivery is completed, the person expecting these shipments finds out their shipment is there, arrives to remove it from the porch of the vacant house. It’s there, then it’s gone. So what?

Doesn’t sound all that suspicious to me. My theory is as plausible and acceptable as all the offerings of how fishy and possibly malicious or scam-laden this delivery scenario might be.  I’m not sure why someone didn’t think Homeland Security should  be notified in the name of “if you see something, say something!” Let’s get it right to the top.  Or over the top?

If these deliveries are set down by a carrier and later picked up by an unknown person, it sounds like they are expected packages with a legitimate reason for showing up there. Until I witnessed something much more odd or nefarious, I’d ignore deliveries at a vacant house where the owner is known to live nearby. It’s probably not as questionable as the theories shared here seem to suggest. 

Honored Contributor

It is odd but it's also none of your business if the boxes aren't interfering with your or your property.  Someone is picking them up so building up and becoming an eye sore.  Sure, it seems odd but life if full of odd things.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr 

It's not odd at all.  I know of several older people who down sized and moved into condos or smaller homes but they keep their big houses.  They don't want the hassle of tenants so they don't rent them.  They don't sell for their own personal reasons.  They just don't live there but they maintain the property as if they did.  

Respected Contributor

@conlt wrote:

Who knows why he does not live there, he is a little weird. He rented the house out a couple of times. I just messaged him on facebook. 

If you messaged him and he responds, let him take care of the problem.  It's his responsibility.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I would at least keep an eye on what goes on there. Here's my reason. We had 2 vacant houses on our block. The owner was in the hospital. He usually rented out the houses, but was in no shape to even come and see to it his houses were okay. There were people living in them so we all thought they had rented from him.

Wrong! Both houses had squatters in them. The police were called by neighbors because of the constant fighting, drugs loose dogs all sorts of trouble.

Finally, the bank was going to foreclose on his loan, and someone from the bank found out that all those people were living there paying no rent or utilities. The bank was able after a couple trips to court, to run them out. The bank then boarded up all the doors and windows.

I don't know the whole story, but the owner now has control of his houses. The people in both houses aren't real good neighbors. We still have their dogs running loose in spite of a law they have to be tied up. But, I don't think they are squatters.

Here, if there's an empty house,or apartment, squatters will try to sneak in. The one apartment building, one of the units had no electricity and no heat. They got in and they cooked on an open fire in a grill. The one wall was chared because the flame was too close to the wall. The other tenants could smell the meat being grilled in a supposedly empty apartment.

Respected Contributor

Oh boy, I had not thought about squatters. 

Honored Contributor

;this is a scam on Chewy and possible credit card fraud happening.

it was tried on the house across street from me a Few years ago.

The man moved to Germany,he had not sold the house as of yet. Noticed fed ex began deliverying items to his house and i knew he wasn’t around. I asked the fed ex driver the 2nd time this happened. He thanked me, took back the box. He said people get stolen credit cards, use the cards to order items for people who need stuff have the items delivered to vacant addresses, the people then pick up the stuff after dark when no one is up and able to see out windows. The people who have these stolen cards may live in California but may order for people in Michigan items that are needed. The fed ex driver said there are site people know about that can actually post these under ground messages to have items sent to such & such address.  

This is what the fed ex driver told me a few years ago. Is it true, don’t know. I do know nothing else was ever delivered to his address again, he sold the house several months after that.

contact chewy .com and tell them what is going on. They may be able to figure out who and what is going on.