Honored Contributor

Re: Weight loss and will power

Fourpaws...hugs to you.You have a lot to deal with just with all of your health problems.Do you think you could try to workout a bit using Marie Osmonds gadget that is sold on Q.A lot of the exercises can be done sitting down and that might get you going.The gym I go to has special trainers to eork with people that have health problems.These trainers are the best and I have seen so much progress made by people and some have become so strong that they now take aerobic and Pilates classes.If your health insurance will cover it or you can find a way to go that route I know you would feel better about your body as you gained strength.

Frequent Contributor

I go through the same thing.  I finally ended up eating one really good meal a day.  I have coffe and a banana or apple in the morning.  Usually something small for lunch like a fruit cup or a sweet potato or vegetables I cooked in a wok with a bit of olive oil...peppers, onions, almonds, peas and mushrooms and sunflower seeds...what ever I feel like....and this is VERY filling by the way.  I've gotten to where I actually kind of crave those vegetables now.  Anyway...I have a nice meal with my husband when I get home from work.. I just skip the bread 95% of the time.  I drink a glass of water first thing in the mornings when I get up.  I also drink water with my meals.  I used to drink diet Dr Pepper and thought I couldn't do with out it.  I stopped because I kept reading how bad it was for my body. I didn't think I could do it but I did.  Now they taste funny to me.  Now that I mention it, thinking about how sugar and junk foods ruin my body's functions has helped me.  I read once that potatoe chips and doughnuts were two of the worst things for a person.  When I would eat them I couldn't help but think of that article and the damage I was doing to my liver and blood and knees etc. Now I don't even think about eating those foods.  It just doesn't come to my mind to do so.  Stay busy. Put a picture of really unattractive person on your fridge.   If you have a cell phone take a picture of everything you eat for the day.  You can really tell how much you ate when you look at the pictures at the end of the day. I think this is better than writing it down. Another thing...put everything out on the table that you are going to eat tomorrow.  Put it all out there together and see how much it is. Once you decide....pace yourself and make it last all day...that is what you are having for that day...nothing more. You probably won't even eat it all after a while.  This is random but google how much pressure a pound of weight puts on your knees.  It's a bunch...hundreds if I remember correctly. My thoughts are all over the place, sorry, but something else I thought about is that when I have a small lunch at work I feel better all afternoon...a meal makes me sluggish and sleepy and I can't stand that.  If you cut out sweet and bready junk food you may have a headache the first week.  I had one for about two days.  It may not be related but I've heard others say that too.  My last thought so as not to ramble and bore you is....I am a little vain I guess.  I know people were talking about me because I looked bad..not because they were concerned about my health .   You will do a great job I'm sure!!!!   Smiley Surprised)

Trusted Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

Eat less, exercise more, weigh yourself every single morning....guaranteed weight loss.

DITTO - a simple solution for weight loss.

For some people, there ARE no "simple" solutions. Obviously, if it were so simple, there would be very few overweight people. Peoples weight issues are multi-faceted and the solutions must be as well.

It is simple. Will power, self-discipline, eat less, eat healthy, and exercise every day.

Honored Contributor

No, it's not simple.  Various studies have shown a psychological impact.

Many women began gaining weight after being sexually assaulted.

There's nothing simple about it.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Trusted Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

No, it's not simple.  Various studies have shown a psychological impact.

Many women began gaining weight after being sexually assaulted.

There's nothing simple about it.

Not buying it.

Honored Contributor

I have friends and family that struggle with weight and it is not as simple as cutting calories and moving more for them.I have a friend that works out five days a week at the gym and does yard work for two other families besides her own.She counts calories and is almost afraid of food.She is not hugely overweight but she wants to be thin.She has a policy that she cannot sit before 7 at night either.I don't know what more she could do to lose weight but thankfully for me it is not that hard.My son also struggles but he has a desk job so that is part of his problem.He also works out five days and has a trainer two days a week.He eats mostly fruit and raw veggies,cottage cheese and meat.He does drink beer on the weekends though.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@italia8140 wrote:

@MaggieMack wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

Eat less, exercise more, weigh yourself every single morning....guaranteed weight loss.

DITTO - a simple solution for weight loss.

For some people, there ARE no "simple" solutions. Obviously, if it were so simple, there would be very few overweight people. Peoples weight issues are multi-faceted and the solutions must be as well.

It is simple. Will power, self-discipline, eat less, eat healthy, and exercise every day.

It can eventually be simple, IF you find the plan that works for you.  Until that time, it is very frustrating. 

Will power.... it is very hard to continue to fight cravings when they last all day, day after day.  Sometimes a person has a bad day and gives into the craving.  Then they feel like they failed again.  And if someone is going through their day eating perfectly healthy food, and not feeling satisfied, how is that even a pleasant way to live?

Self-discipline... kind of the same thing.  Meal plans can be made in advance, junk food out of the house.  That all helps immensely, but there are different opinions on what is healthy.  What should the meal plan include?  Low fat, low sugar, low carb, vegetarian, vegan, dairy or no dairy?  Artificial sweeteners, yes or no?  ??? Which should it be?  Someone may choose what they believe to be a "healthy" plan, and they can still have cravings.  They may not see the scale move at all.  Just on this thread, there is a recipe that I would not include in a healthy food plan. 

Eat less... less than what?  Instead of a hamburger, eat half?  Instead of three scoops of ice cream, have one scoop?  Instead of a baked potato have half?  Suppose someone has eaten half of their usual dinner and walks away from the table hungry.  Does that even make sense?  Won't that cause someone to be heading to the frig in an hour or two?

Eat healthy... that can mean different things to different people.  Is having three apples a day healthy?  Is that too much sugar?  Should a person have only a large salad for dinner?  How much protein should a person have during the day? 

Exercise every day... good idea.  Again, this can mean different things to different people.  Some people cannot exercise like other people think they should.  Some have health issues.  I have heard about some people having a pretty good work-out plan and then seem to be hungrier than before.  I think we have all heard the expression, "worked up an appetite".  Or someone can be faithful to exercise and still don't see the scale move. 

It can be very frustrating.

That is why I mentioned how I beat the cravings.  I feel like I did not have to muster up the will power.  So, I was not set up to fail.  I was choosing a plan that satisfied me.  I did not have to be hungry all day and eat less.  I did not have to have an excessive exercise routine.  When I first started watching sugar grams (all sugar, even natural sugar in fruit, milk, etc.) and watching carbs, especially flour, I did not even add exercise.  After a couple months, I added a daily (5 times per week), brisk 20 minute walk before breakfast. 

I found how I could have safe treats.  Treats that did not cause my cravings to kick in. 

Then it really did become simple!

Honored Contributor

So how do you overcome the insulin resistance, I went to a doctor last week who claimed this was nonsense

@SaRina wrote:

@straykatz wrote:

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

I need a mental overhaul regarding weight loss.  I know all about calories, exercise, fats, carbs, etc., but I have zero will power.  I cannot say no to a donut, a french fry, or a starch.

Does anyone have any experience or tips or suggestions on how to improve will power, so I can make the choices that I know are correct?  I know it is all in my head, but it is really real, and does affect my body.

It's becoming common knowledge that the more bad carbs/sweets you eat the more you crave them.  The 1st step is to eliminate refined sugars and carbs....after a while you will stop wanting them and be satisfied with a piece of fruit or something savory instead.

Also...find other ways to treat yourself -  reward yourself with non-food items.   

Adding to this, it's pretty well known that carbs cause an insulin release, which is largely responsible for fat (weight) gain.  You can google carb sensitivity for more detailed explanation.  So, if your meals are largely carbs, it sets up a vicious cycle throughout the day of constant insulin release and, therefore, constant hunger.

I finally discovered the answer for myself, which is eating lean protein at every meal.  This is a must.  And the more protein you eat, the less hungry you will feel.  I eat primarily protein for breakfast and lunch (with vegetables), then add carbs at dinner.  I am rarely hungry.   Once or twice a week, I reward myself with my favorite treats.  This has been highly successful for me as a weight loss and maintenance program for the past several years.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

so, I have been thinking about this..I need to lose weight,a few

days ago I cut out pics of fat women, and put them on my fridge.I found a pic of me thirty lbs ago,put that on my fridge. I mut say it is working, lost four lbs :-)