Honored Contributor

I think you need guidance and support, a plan.  Think WW (formerly Weight Watchers) online would help you.

Esteemed Contributor

@Melbalee wrote:
My husband passed away from cancer about a month before co vid hit. I have gained 15 lbs since then. My Dr thinks it is from stress.
Any ideas you sweet ladies on how to loose this? My cloes don't fit etc. I work out but my gym just opened again.
Thanks in advance

@Melbalee I am so sorry for your loss. It is devastating to lose someone, but then to have the isolation during covid must have been unbearable. Be kind to yourself 15 pounds is nothing. Just start walking everyday, and then do the 80/20 plan. Eat healthy all week, and let yourself enjoy a little more over the weekend. Walk at least 40-45 minutes a day at a good pace, and do it at least 5 days a week. You will get results. 

We are all here for support reach out. 

Trusted Contributor

I'm terribly sorry for you loss.  It is entirely understandable that you put on a few pounds.

Try to think of it as self-care.  You deserve some pampering and doing some healthier things for yourself is part of that.  I find walking outdoors when the weather permits to be a tonic for the mind, body and spirit.  I wish you the best.

Trusted Contributor

@Melbalee I am so sorry for your loss. I am sure you are still grieving and that's stressful. I would keep going to the gym as that will help you mentally to keep active. Try cutting out sweets and junk food and eat a better diet. You have to have your mind in the right place to lose wight and maybe you're not there yet. Try to get in a walk each day if nothing else. Allow your self to grieve first. Don't be afraid to reach out for professional help if you need to. 

Honored Contributor

Am very sorry about your husband---

I am battling the quarrantine 15 myself----also partly from tremendous stress but mostly not moving and eating too many carbs--my comfort food--so that is what I am cutting out of my diet--all things white--flour, sugar, breads, rice , pasta and buying a good pair of walking shoes and go for walks when I can. Also portions control works for me.

Am 67, going thru a surprise divorce, am a 9 year cancer survivor and the whole covid thing has hit us all like a ton of bricks---good luck!!!

Honored Contributor

@godi wrote:

So sorry for your loss @Melbalee  

Throw away all snacks or candy in the house. Start walking. If you can't go far do a few 15 minute walks a day. If you get hungry do something to take it off your mind. Keep fruit in the house. It's not easy but with a few modifications you can do this. Keep us posted. 

I agree with @godi, also keep fresh veggies around to munch on, fresh baby carrots, celery sticks, radishes, bell pepper, whatever veggies you like and walking is a great exercise if you aren't interested/able for heavier 'gym' type exercising.

Good luck, you can do it!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

@Melbalee I am sorry for your loss.  Stress eating has long been a problem for me also.  What works for me is keeping a food diary. I do this by day and time.  Then you can look back and see where you might have made better choices.

Carbs are my comfort food, so I have to be really careful with portions. I rarely eat bread which I use to eat daily.  I no longer buy things (ice cream, cookies) that would tempt my willpower.  I do eat dark chocolate  (70%, 1 square) with roasted unsalted nuts daily.

I enjoy reading health and nutrition articles. I saw the article "how to lose 20 pounds for good" at today dot com that may help you.  

You've got this.  Wishing you much success.

Honored Contributor

I am so sorry on the loss of your husband.

It's easy to see how you have had a weight gain.  I would imagine you just ate what was handy and we know that sugars, even those from carbohydrates, create endorphins in the brain which make us feel good and would certainly ease up stress.

Please feel free to join us in Among Friends on the Weight Watchers thread.

We've been doing the 'Quick Success" program which was the most efficient weight loss plan WW ever had and has out preformed their other plans.

Our group has easily lost 200 pounds since the first of the year.

Everything you need to know is in the beginning of the thread.  Although, I embraced the design element of my college major, I have a strong nutrition background.

Respected Contributor

15 lbs is really not very much...especially with all you have been through. They don't call it comfort food for nothing! Condolences to you.

Respected Contributor

My heartfelt sympathy on the loss of your husband. So much to bear.

Many excellent suggestions have been made. I agree walking is one of the best things you can do for yourself. Years ago, I got a stationary bike and it has been a life saver. No bellyaching it's too cold, too hot or too icy to walk! My bike has handles that move which helps in arm toning. I have a radio right next to it and news or music helps the time go faster.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Take it slow, try to eat as heathfully as you can and start a slow, steady exercise regime. Whatever works for you. Good luck and let us know how you make out.