Frequent Contributor
My husband passed away from cancer about a month before co vid hit. I have gained 15 lbs since then. My Dr thinks it is from stress.
Any ideas you sweet ladies on how to loose this? My cloes don't fit etc. I work out but my gym just opened again.
Thanks in advance
Trusted Contributor

@Melbalee wrote:
My husband passed away from cancer about a month before co vid hit. I have gained 15 lbs since then. My Dr thinks it is from stress.
Any ideas you sweet ladies on how to loose this? My cloes don't fit etc. I work out but my gym just opened again.
Thanks in advance

@Melbalee   Good Morning. My condolences on the loss of your husband. It's hard to lose a loved one and you're grieving. Weight gain or loss is grief and not unusual. Add Covid to that, and well, it doesn't help. May I suggest daily walks? I walk every day and it not only helps with maintaining my weight, it clears my head. Start    with short walks a few times a day if you can, then build up to whatever works for you. Also, wear a comfortable pair of sneakers because blisters are not fun.  This takes time to get into a routine and time to lose weight. Good luck on your weight loss journey and please keep us posted.

Respected Contributor

@Melbalee OK-your doctor thinks it's from stress.  Did you ask him for any hints as to how to lose the weight?  Did he offer you any hints as to what you could do?  He's the best person to give you information about weight loss.

Esteemed Contributor

So sorry for your loss @Melbalee  

Throw away all snacks or candy in the house. Start walking. If you can't go far do a few 15 minute walks a day. If you get hungry do something to take it off your mind. Keep fruit in the house. It's not easy but with a few modifications you can do this. Keep us posted. 

Esteemed Contributor
Condolences on the loss of your husband

Continue going to the gym, change your eating habits as another poster suggested, fruit and healthy snacks. Yoga is a very good way to get additional exercise and reduce stress.

It’s hard when you loose a spouse as many of your friends may be couples. Try a group to meet new people like spouses without partners or try volunteering; so many non profits need help right now and it’s a good way to meet nice people.
Super Contributor

Low carbs.  And make it a way of life.  You'll lose and keep it off.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

Re: Weight gain

[ Edited ]

@Melbalee   So sorry for your loss and right before  covid, too. I can't imagine your grief and sudden changes in your life. 

I agree with other posters here that even a short walk...around the house or up and down stairs several times if you cannot or don't feel like getting outside. 

I stay on a low carb/no sugar diet becuase I need to watch out for diabetes. It does also keep my weight steady. 

Good luck with your weight goal and know that we are here for you. Heart

Respected Contributor

@Melbalee 

My deepest sympathies to you.  I am so sorry for the loss of your husband.

There is a Weight Watcher thread in Among Friends section.  Please feel welcome to join us there.  You may just get a tip or two to help you along.  You will get many suggestions but it truly comes down to eating properly and finding the right exercise for you.  So many different diet plans out there and what works for one of us does not work for others.

Portion control, keeping certain snack foods out of my house, and being sure I drink enough water has really helped me.  No artificial sweeteners and eating as little processed food as possible has really helped tame my appetite.  I try to focus on eating more veggies and higher fiber foods.  They are filling and keep me satisfied.

The best of luck to you on your weight loss journey!

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

@Melbalee 

Here is the WW thread if you are interested.

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Among-Friends/Girls-Whom-Among-Us-Did-WW-Exchange-Programs-Of-the-1980-...

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

@Melbalee First, my condolences.  Adjusting to your new life can be difficult and food is comfort.  I am a firm believer that there is nothing wrong with liking your body, even if you have gained 15 pounds.  You are doing the right thing healthwise by returning to your gym.  Eating healthy and in moderation is important, whether or not you lose the weight.

Years ago, I had a boss who wanted to lose weight.  Every time that he wanted to eat or drink something that had lots of calories, he instead took a run/walk around the block.  At first, he was doing a lot of those, but eventually they tapered off.  

You might also visit your local humane society and get an older (several years old) dog that will keep you more active.  Puppies are too much work, in my opinion, but a young dog will get you moving, thinking more about them, and get ting you out to meet others.  Dogs are great at that.  You might not think that you want a dog, but usually that changes one a dog enters the home.

Losing 15 pounds takes time, so do not try to lose it in the next week or month.  It cannot be done, at least not in a healthy way.  There are also online classes like Leslie Sansone's or Forever Young Fitness, as well as many free youtube classes.  Anything that you can do to stay active and eat well is a plus, whether or not you lose the weight.  Inches off and toning are always good.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!