Valued Contributor

Re: Weight Watchers Tanks, Oprah Loses $117 Million

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Qgirl26 wrote:

@Noel7, that was a different plan then. Winning points was a much older plan. I don't know if it's the original points program or a more updated one but it's changed several times since then. I had first gone to WW in 1987 after having my second child. I don't even know if they named their diets back then but it was a very strict diet. I did well on it, I lost 50 pounds and kept it off until my pregnancy with baby #3 in 1994 but I have to admit that it was too hard for me to follow after that. I have too much of a sweet tooth and I needed something more flexible and Winning Points filled that need very well for me. I joined in person but really didn't enjoy the meetings so that is when I joined online. But I found like you that it really didn't help much being online so I just did it on my own after that. I figure I can't lie to myself. I know if I mess up and if I don't want to admit it, the scales let me know! But I still like that diet to this day.

123 Success came before Winning Points.  That was the program in place when I joined and I loved it. Then people complained they weren't losing weight fast enough because of the high fiber offset to fat so they changed to Winning Points.  I didn't like WP as much as 123 Success but I think a lot of that is because I detest change.  I had lost most of what I needed to lose on 123 Success and I wanted it to stay.  LOL

From WP they went to FlexPoints and I really hated that program and all incarnations no matter what they want to call it.    

That's right, I'd forgotten that 123 Success program. I see that is written on my old points slider thing I have. I don't know why it says that since it came with all my Winning Points material. I never tried that 123 diet so I guess that's why the Winning Points works well for me. But I don't like change either so I hear you loud and clear.

I seem to remember the term FlexPoints but as soon as they started changing things, i plugged up my ears and stuck to what I already knew.

Honored Contributor

I didn't read everyone's response so if I am repeating something, please forgive me.

I only remember Oprah raving over eating bread and then I never saw her in another ad.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Valued Contributor

@mima wrote:

First of all if they NEVER changed the program we would still be forced to eat liver twice a week and fish 5 times a week!  That is what I started out with back in the late 70's or early 80s.  I can't remember for sure the year.  That program worked too, but YUK!

The reason ice cream treats and other desserts have went up a bunch in points is that they are trying to get you to quit eating sugar. 

At our meeting we do our weigh-ins in  a really big closet (LOL).  I'm serious.  It is only the WW member and the leader in their.  No one knows if you gain or lose.    They do leave the door open and the line forms behind you.  They even have a sign saying to stay behind the sign to give privacy.  I have went for years and they have never announced weights in front of others that I can remember.  I wouldn't like that either.

My meetings cost $45 a month.  It is more if you pay by the week.  It is free to attend after you are a Lifetime member and you are within your goal range.

Hope that clears up a few things.

@mima, all that you say is true and I understand wanting to update things but it seems they were doing it every single year for awhile there. I don't know if they have continued to do that but for me, it was like starting a new diet all over again. It's always been hard for me to adjust to a new diet so I didn't like that.

If it stayed with that plan with a lot of liver, I'd have never given it a try. LOL!

Valued Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Qgirl26 wrote:

Thank you @Noel7! I enjoy talking to you about it too. I tend to not do well with change. If I find something works well for me, I want to stick with it. Sometimes I think I hang on too long to things but if it works, why not, right?

@Qgirl26

I'm with you, I don't do well with change, either, especially when something works well.  If it ain't broke, why fix it?  Woman Very Happy

@Noel7, I knew I liked you! That was my late husband's favorite saying. LOL!

Honored Contributor

I'm not concerned how much weight Oprah has or has not lost. I know a number of individuals (myself included) who have gone months without losing or gaining an ounce. It's very, VERY difficult to stay on the plan (any plan) when that is happening and you'll hear so many excuses from doctors and WW as to why but as we ALL know: the medical community is pretty much useless when it comes to weightloss issues.

So, you have to just keep doing it. In every case, those of us who did would see the scale FINALLY start moving down again but I'm telling you, the ****** we would take from people saying we really weren't trying hard enough.... yeah. This is why I don't tell anyone (other than here) that I'm on WW. All they know is I "look like a I lost a few pounds" and I say "a few" and move on. They have NO need to know how much I've lost and how long this journey has been.

Oprah is also over 50. Hello those of us who are post-menopausal, have thyroid conditions and/or are other meds for other medical issues that all tend to assist in making weight-loss difficult. I am no fan of Oprahs BUT I will stand up and say unless you're in a situation similar to hers (weight up and down for decades, over 50, post meno, etc) I don't think it's appropriate to judge if she's losing it fast enough or not. 

THis, specifically, is a sore point for me no matter WHO is losing weight so.....yeah.

Respected Contributor

@Qgirl26 wrote:

@mima wrote:

First of all if they NEVER changed the program we would still be forced to eat liver twice a week and fish 5 times a week!  That is what I started out with back in the late 70's or early 80s.  I can't remember for sure the year.  That program worked too, but YUK!

The reason ice cream treats and other desserts have went up a bunch in points is that they are trying to get you to quit eating sugar. 

At our meeting we do our weigh-ins in  a really big closet (LOL).  I'm serious.  It is only the WW member and the leader in their.  No one knows if you gain or lose.    They do leave the door open and the line forms behind you.  They even have a sign saying to stay behind the sign to give privacy.  I have went for years and they have never announced weights in front of others that I can remember.  I wouldn't like that either.

My meetings cost $45 a month.  It is more if you pay by the week.  It is free to attend after you are a Lifetime member and you are within your goal range.

Hope that clears up a few things.

@mima, all that you say is true and I understand wanting to update things but it seems they were doing it every single year for awhile there. I don't know if they have continued to do that but for me, it was like starting a new diet all over again. It's always been hard for me to adjust to a new diet so I didn't like that.

If it stayed with that plan with a lot of liver, I'd have never given it a try. LOL!

I have a deep dark secret.  I ate the fish 5 times a week but I NEVER ate the liver.  LOL  I still lost really good though. 

I tried to disguise the fish or tuna in different dishes.  I loved chili.  I figured the spicy chili would overcome the tuna taste so I made Tuna Chili!  It was horrid.  My family still brings that up to me once in a while.  LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I certainly wasn't alluding to the fact that Oprah wasn't losing fast enough and I clarified that in a later post.  I realized when I said she had "only" lost 30 pounds in 7 months and that wasn't even 4.5 pounds a month, that some could take that as me thinking she hadn't lost enough or fast enough. 

What I was really trying to address was the poster who said she was certain Oprah had had some type of bariatric surgery done and hadn't used WW to lose her weight at all.  Oprah's weightloss hasn't been fast enough IMO for bariatric surgery.  I wasn't judging.  Some of us were having a discussion and some are interested in how much Oprah has lost.  If anyone isn't interested in that discussion, they don't have to partake.

I've been down the WW road and I lost 100+ pounds on the program.  I was very lucky in that I never was one that hit a plateau.  There were weeks here and there when I gained a couple of pounds because I didn't follow the program much but I never struggled going weeks and weeks at a time without losing anything.  I steadily reached my goal weight about 1 year after I started the program.  I faithfully attended meetings every single week except for a time here or there when I had to work late or was sick.  I was totally committed to the program. 

There were plenty of people who gossiped that I had some type of banding done or this or that to assist my weightloss because they didn't think it was happening from the program.  But it was all WW and walking with Leslie Sansone tapes.

Unfortunately, I thought I was "cured" and steadily started to put weight on which is why I ended up back at WW.  However, I have struggled with every program.  When I started back is when it was flexpoints.  On every program, I will lose a good amount of weight the first week and then that's it.  I might lose .5 in the next 2 weeks or I'll stay the same, possibly gain.  This is the same every single time.  I cannot and will not remain on a program where I'm not seeing a loss.

I also have said time and time again that I think WW really misses the mark by not measuring people.  Sometimes you may not lose pounds but you may lose some inches.  I think that would be an encouragment to people if they aren't seeing the scale move much.      

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva  Please don't think I was aiming my post at you; I was not. I read what you wrote and agree 100%; my apologies if it appeared that way. There are two threads going at the same time and this was a reply combining comments in both threads as well as comments I've read and heard since her bread comment (which was months ago). 

For those who don't know: WW suggests 1/2 a pound to 2 pounds MAX per week; 1 pound a week is considered ideal. So, 2- 4 pounds a MONTH is what the plan is designed to do.

Valued Contributor

@mima, your secret is safe with us! LOL!

Valued Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I certainly wasn't alluding to the fact that Oprah wasn't losing fast enough and I clarified that in a later post.  I realized when I said she had "only" lost 30 pounds in 7 months and that wasn't even 4.5 pounds a month, that some could take that as me thinking she hadn't lost enough or fast enough. 

What I was really trying to address was the poster who said she was certain Oprah had had some type of bariatric surgery done and hadn't used WW to lose her weight at all.  Oprah's weightloss hasn't been fast enough IMO for bariatric surgery.  I wasn't judging.  Some of us were having a discussion and some are interested in how much Oprah has lost.  If anyone isn't interested in that discussion, they don't have to partake.

I've been down the WW road and I lost 100+ pounds on the program.  I was very lucky in that I never was one that hit a plateau.  There were weeks here and there when I gained a couple of pounds because I didn't follow the program much but I never struggled going weeks and weeks at a time without losing anything.  I steadily reached my goal weight about 1 year after I started the program.  I faithfully attended meetings every single week except for a time here or there when I had to work late or was sick.  I was totally committed to the program. 

There were plenty of people who gossiped that I had some type of banding done or this or that to assist my weightloss because they didn't think it was happening from the program.  But it was all WW and walking with Leslie Sansone tapes.

Unfortunately, I thought I was "cured" and steadily started to put weight on which is why I ended up back at WW.  However, I have struggled with every program.  When I started back is when it was flexpoints.  On every program, I will lose a good amount of weight the first week and then that's it.  I might lose .5 in the next 2 weeks or I'll stay the same, possibly gain.  This is the same every single time.  I cannot and will not remain on a program where I'm not seeing a loss.

I also have said time and time again that I think WW really misses the mark by not measuring people.  Sometimes you may not lose pounds but you may lose some inches.  I think that would be an encouragment to people if they aren't seeing the scale move much.      

People expect an awful lot out of us if they know we are on a diet. Either we aren't losing quickly enough or we must have done something surgically instead of just dieting if we do lose it quickly. I don't like for people to know I'm dieting if I don't have to. I don't need the judgments, I'm hard enough on myself as it is!

Measuring would be a good idea! Maybe not everyone would be comfortable with it but it could be an option they could offer in addition to weigh ins.