Honored Contributor

Re: Weight Watchers Tanks, Oprah Loses $117 Million

A couple of things:

*The website is a disaster

*Customer service is a nightmare

* A community forum that had been around for YEARS was wiped out by WW....just....gone with no warning. People I spoke with for years....gone.

* The plan was too much too soon and many who were Lifetime have serious issues (I hear it during meetings) and those issues are NEVER dealt with from I have witnessed and heard from other members.

WHat I thought was also interesting in the beginning was the man who took over the program was a psychologist, not a medical doctor. His background (we were told) was counseling those with weight issues and incorporating behavior management. Many felt he was not qualified to be in charge and turned WW into just another diet instead of program that was easy to fit into your real life.

I know so many people who will NOT use artificial sweeteners and Frankenfood and found that the new program HIGHLY encouraged both. I know the number of "experts" who are against the Atkins, Paleo, Mediterranean had to watch what they said when it came to WW's new plan because it's the NORM to suggest it to everyone... but now it's in the same league as the 3 mentioned so....there have been issues. My Primary Care Doc no longer suggests WW to patients; no one in the practice does as they do not see it as a sustainable food plan.

In any event, I will continue following the Points Program and going to my weekly meetings. Those of us who reverting back to Points FAR outnumber those who are on the current WW program. Far outnumber.... I think all these things are why the company isn't doing so well in addition to many other... issues WW is facing.

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

It's a PAPER loss, stock was $6-8 then shot up to $28 and now it's down again.

Has nothing to do with the diet, management issues over there, looking for a new CEO.

What goes down will go up again.

I disagree it has nothing to do with the diet plan.  WW has lost a lot of members because of the changes mentioned.

Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

They need to stick to one plan and, as needed, tweak it.  They drastically change it every year and their website isn't upgraded for months into the new year.  I'm not surprised they are losing money.

That's it.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the summary @SahmIam

That's worse than I knew.

Super Contributor

Can a member choose the points plan? I need to rejoin, but was so put off by Oprah, I didn't. I'm thinking of looking at eBay for books. I cannot find mine.

Honored Contributor

@GusMo wrote:

Can a member choose the points plan? I need to rejoin, but was so put off by Oprah, I didn't. I'm thinking of looking at eBay for books. I cannot find mine.

@GusMo

What about using the old points plan if you remember it?  

Honored Contributor

@GusMo  Only if you have the old material. There is NO other option offered except Smart Points (the current plan). You are not allowed to discuss the old program with your leader or in meetings so you'll have to do it without them knowing. You can't combine them either, because HOW they come up with points info is completely different; it's one or the other.

I have all my old material, so no issue for me. People are selling it on ebay for $$$$. Guess why?

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@GusMo  Only if you have the old material. There is NO other option offered except Smart Points (the current plan). You are not allowed to discuss the old program with your leader or in meetings so you'll have to do it without them knowing. You can't combine them either, because HOW they come up with points info is completely different; it's one or the other.

I have all my old material, so no issue for me. People are selling it on ebay for $$$$. Guess why?

@SahmIam

I don't know what it all entailed, I just went online for awhile, but some of the cookbooks and recipes online show both point counts.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7  Which is a good thing! Some cookbooks do (as the program was changing) but the older ones have the older points and the newest ones of the new points. A few bloggers who have cooking/recipes blogs include both (which is fantastic). You can't combine the programs because the number of points can REALLY differ betweent them.

An example of the extreme difference:

Dairy Queen Peanut Butter Malt

Old Plan:   29 points

New Plan: 58  points

Nothing changed EXCEPT how the points are calculated. You have to stick to one or the other, therefore.

Honored Contributor

The Bad News:   Oprah lost  $117 million ... on paper.

The Good News:  Oprah can still eat BREAD ... every day.

Woman LOL