Honored Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

Why create yet ANOTHER etiquette or wedding thread?

Says the poster who posted threads with both topics.

Respected Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@Mellie32 wrote:

I posted a thread about a specific wedding and a thread about general etiqutte rules.  There weren't any threads like that when I posted them.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Weddings and etiquette

[ Edited ]

@Preds wrote:

Who, what, where?  I hope my DD gets lots of money at her wedding. LOL  Dang, I need to pay more attention around here.  I miss so much.

@Preds Apparently the incredulous "Oh no you didn't!" thread of the day is on the Among Friends forum and was not previously approved for posting. Smiley Wink Smiley Surprised

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@Preds wrote:

Who, what, where?  I hope my DD gets lots of money at her wedding. LOL  Dang, I need to pay more attention around here.  I miss so much.

@Preds Apparently the incredulous "Oh no you didn't!" thread of the day is on the Among Friends forum and was not previously approved for posting. Smiley Wink Smiley Surprised

Well, that explains it.  Thank you @SusieQ_2.  But ...I still hope my DD gets money at her wedding.  LOL  If she does, she wouldn't tell me. She's a greedy little thing.  ROTFL  Smiley Wink

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Esteemed Contributor

I hope she does too Preds, but maybe you shouldn't tell us unless you're prepared to be raked over the coals!

One of my favorite replies was something about "What will your daughter say when she finds out you posted this?"

I figure the obvious answer would be "Uh, nothing." Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@seaBreeze wrote:

@Melania That's embarrassing for those guests!   Things have changed since my wedding 35 years ago.   I told my cousin to save at least $26,000 for her daughter's wedding which is now average cost.   For me, I would rather have the money--I'm practical--not "entitled."

@seaBreeze

Many people are practical ... but still would like a nice wedding.

Respected Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@Mellie32 wrote:

Ding, ding, ding!! 

Honored Contributor

SMH

It's sad, to me, that often weddings have become about money, gifts and meaningless one-upmanship.

I love weddings, we have such diverse friends and have seen different cultural and religious traditions.  Only one was greedy.  Maybe because I knew the groom's mother and had the inside story.

Honored Contributor

I think you made it pretty clear in the other thread what you thought so I'm not sure why you had to start yet another thread about it unless you thought it would get more viewing here. 

Respected Contributor

Actually I think this is one of those cases by not what is posted but who posted it.

One poster on that thread you're referencing even said that they are giving her back some of her attitude.

I try and answer a thread by the topic and not the poster. I have seen it often on here though.

I don't think she was bragging at all. I have read her posts in the past and we cannot tell tone by the written word..I think it just comes across snippy at times.

On the phoney topic (yes I think you reposted this to bring the snide to the front page..) so I will answer.

I think some wedding costs are out of hand. My daughter got married a few years ago..a nice hall, about 100 people..nice dress etc..but we kept the cost down ..I won't mention it though LOL..as I don't want to be called names..lol..but seriously it was less than the couple we are discussing raked in!

I think the nonsense about covering the cost of your plate is just that nonsense.  I don't mind them registering but I cannot stand the 'gift cash grab' that often accompanies invitations.

I do think these days if you are just going to have cake and a beverage reception than you need to make sure people are aware of that before hand..so they do not expect a meal and go there with that expectation. 

I personally would of rather my daughter took that money for a down payment..oh now I am sure they wish that too LOL..

I think the full veil white wedding dress with train for a hall wedding and no food reception is a bit much but these days anything seems to go. I think some of us are still old fashion in our ideas..I am 51 but my grandmother instilled a lot in me..and one of them was you show respect in Church..no jeans, sneakers, hats etc.. I was taken back when we started attending another branch church after our marriage and we settled in..and in they came with sneakers and jeans..baseball caps etc..but that is another topic for another day/thread lol..